Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Venice and onto Croatia - any tips please

Niborn

Niborn

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Ecouraged by good weather we have suddenly decided to take a few weeks off and head via Southern France to Venice and down the Croatian coast . Probably another couple will join us hiring their Cali to try out before buying . So we will be four adults and no dog as he’s staying at home with the housesitters .

We are thinking about taking bikes so we can explore and not have to break camp so often .

Any tips about about places to drive though , stay / see / eat at would be very welcomed as none of us has any experience of Camping in Italy / Venice or Croatia

Many Thanks

We are currently enjoying an excellent campsite in the far south of Croatia: Nevio Camping. We can highly recommend.
84411f533f7dcd1605ee8ab5968e27ff.jpg

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

We are currently enjoying an excellent campsite in the far south of Croatia: Nevio Camping. We can highly recommend.
84411f533f7dcd1605ee8ab5968e27ff.jpg

Thanks Tom , didn’t realise you were there .... must look at your blog too for details of our Northern Light tour which is in prep...we’ve so far picked to easier route North through Sweden .... I think 5 or 6 Cali’s in convoy now going ..

Thanks Tom , didn’t realise you were there .... must look at your blog too for details of our Northern Light tour which is in prep...we’ve so far picked to easier route North through Sweden .... I think 5 or 6 Cali’s in convoy now going ..
I was gonna say speak to Amarillo, and their blog is well worth a read

So gutted that we cannot go! Ben will have just started school and leaving Ben and Jack under the supervision of grandparents and aupairs for a few weeks, however appealing, would be quite wrong.

So gutted that we cannot go! Ben will have just started school and leaving Ben and Jack under the supervision of grandparents and aupairs for a few weeks, however appealing, would be quite wrong.

Yes, the date / times don’t suit so many people . Want to get there for when the darker nights start , around the equinox when lights are normally best and before the severe arctic weather , especially in Finland . I’d love to try out my 4WD and traction controls, plus it’s very scenic later on with the snow but surely safer and easier with less challenging conditions and better for most . After your big tour a rest at home in Greenwich might be welcome and I’m sure seeing Ben and Jack settle in to their new routines will be rewarding too.

Ecouraged by good weather we have suddenly decided to take a few weeks off and head via Southern France to Venice and down the Croatian coast . Probably another couple will join us hiring their Cali to try out before buying . So we will be four adults and no dog as he’s staying at home with the housesitters .

We are thinking about taking bikes so we can explore and not have to break camp so often .

Any tips about about places to drive though , stay / see / eat at would be very welcomed as none of us has any experience of Camping in Italy / Venice or Croatia

Many Thanks

Hi there,
We’ve just driven up through Croatia (having got ferry from Bari to Dubrovnik) and then on to Venice. I would re-iterate others recommendations of Nevio Camping in Orebic, good for trips to Korcula, and also Camping Kovacine on island of Cres - which is right on the sea, lovely pitches and easy walk or cycle into Cres Town. They also have a lovely bar / coffee shop - great for sunsets, and an excellent pizzeria. In Venice, Camping Miramare is ideally placed to visit the city. It’s 800 metres or the campsite free shuttle bus to Punta Sabbione ferry terminal. It’s then a 35 minute ferry trip right into St. Marks Square, or also ferries to islands Murano and Burano. The Croatian Coast is just beautiful - enjoy your trip.

Hi there,
We’ve just driven up through Croatia (having got ferry from Bari to Dubrovnik) and then on to Venice. I would re-iterate others recommendations of Nevio Camping in Orebic, good for trips to Korcula, and also Camping Kovacine on island of Cres - which is right on the sea, lovely pitches and easy walk or cycle into Cres Town. They also have a lovely bar / coffee shop - great for sunsets, and an excellent pizzeria. In Venice, Camping Miramare is ideally placed to visit the city. It’s 800 metres or the campsite free shuttle bus to Punta Sabbione ferry terminal. It’s then a 35 minute ferry trip right into St. Marks Square, or also ferries to islands Murano and Burano. The Croatian Coast is just beautiful - enjoy your trip.

+1 for Camp Kovacine on Cres
We also wanted to go to Krk (Camp Slamni) - unfortunately it was fully booked.
We liked Camp Selce opposit Krk on the coast.

I look forward to some pictures! Enjoy!

We've just decided on our site north along the Croatian coast.

We leave Nevio on Monday for Plantaza in Starigrad, then after two to four nights (depending on the site and weather) Krk Premium Camping Resort for its brand new water playground for children again staying two to four nights.

I'll report back on these sites.

Nevio is not only a beautiful location, but has the very best washrooms we've encountered.

We lost our heart in Croatia last year, and spend most of 4 weeks there, just to return for 5 weeks this summer. There are so many nice places to stay. The first you will meet is Peninsula Istrien. Many travellers (especially) with camper wagons end here. Here is all they need, so they don't bother to drive further. It is a beautiful area, but as a result, many of the campsites are huge. Nice, clean (like most places here), but enormous and not for our taste. If You come by here anyway, a visit to Rovinj is nice. Walk the old town and have a lunch on the small harbour.

Maybe pay Plitvice Naturepark a visit. Stay close and come early before all the other tourists.

We drove down the coastline and stopped where ever we found a nice spot. Many of the small campsites (there are many) are not even on google maps (which is our preferred travel tool). All the main roads are new and nice to drive. We found ourself make an Island hopping and ended up staying 12 days on Island Hvar. There are so many nice spots.

We brought our mountain bikes and SUPs and used them almost every day. I also brought my kitesurf gear, but there really are not many places you can use it. Most beaches a pepples or rock/stone, but there are many safe access points (ladders, platforms, etc.). The water is so clear – as glass and the climate is warm but not to warm for a bike ride.

Wine and food variety is better in i.e Spain, France, Italy, etc. But there are so many other things to be happy about.

Hi there,
Very helpful tips , thank you , the idea of driving down though Italy and back up through Croatia seems very good too , no backtracking and a good variety...

We lost our heart in Croatia last year, and spend most of 4 weeks there, just to return for 5 weeks this summer. There are so many nice places to stay. The first you will meet is Peninsula Istrien. Many travellers (especially) with camper wagons end here. Here is all they need, so they don't bother to drive further. It is a beautiful area, but as a result, many of the campsites are huge. Nice, clean (like most places here), but enormous and not for our taste. If You come by here anyway, a visit to Rovinj is nice. Walk the old town and have a lunch on the small harbour.

Maybe pay Plitvice Naturepark a visit. Stay close and come early before all the other tourists.

We drove down the coastline and stopped where ever we found a nice spot. Many of the small campsites (there are many) are not even on google maps (which is our preferred travel tool). All the main roads are new and nice to drive. We found ourself make an Island hopping and ended up staying 12 days on Island Hvar. There are so many nice spots.

We brought our mountain bikes and SUPs and used them almost every day. I also brought my kitesurf gear, but there really are not many places you can use it. Most beaches a pepples or rock/stone, but there are many safe access points (ladders, platforms, etc.). The water is so clear – as glass and the climate is warm but not to warm for a bike ride.

Wine and food variety is better in i.e Spain, France, Italy, etc. But there are so many other things to be happy about.
Fabulous ideas , we will surely run out of time

We've just decided on our site north along the Croatian coast.

We leave Nevio on Monday for Plantaza in Starigrad, then after two to four nights (depending on the site and weather) Krk Premium Camping Resort for its brand new water playground for children again staying two to four nights.

I'll report back on these sites.

Nevio is not only a beautiful location, but has the very best washrooms we've encountered.

These washrooms must be good if you are still mentioning them , although they will have to be very good to beat the hand made Gaudi like designed shower cubicals (each one individuals designed ) we just experienced in Seirra Natura in Spain , they also didn’t turn off every 30 seconds ...all spotlessly clean too. So we will have to visit Nevio if only to compare the washrooms !

+1 for Camp Kovacine on Cres
We also wanted to go to Krk (Camp Slamni) - unfortunately it was fully booked.
We liked Camp Selce opposit Krk on the coast.

I look forward to some pictures! Enjoy!
We will check out all these places :)