Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Any recommendations on this route?

s2bear

s2bear

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Hi all. Leaving Port Manech for Javea tomorrow or the day after and I’ve attached a screenshot of the route that Google kicked out.

Any recommendations for a stop about halfway or different route etc.? It’s saying 14 hours. I’m not averse to big drives but if there’s somewhere worth stopping or places to avoid, I’m all ears. (Especially if it’s near a beach) we’re 2 adults + 6 & 9 yr old.
Thanks s2
2d72ae8be1ee23c1c0e005ab7c00eeaa.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone!

Check with Waze as the route goes through where the big fires have been until recently... might be delays due to remedial works etc. And Bordeaux can be awful to get round.....

Just south west of Bordeaux is Europe’s largest sand dune , dune du pilat.

Campsites nearby, unforgettable.

Pay attention! See #4 :D :D
‘Imitation is the greatest compliment ‘ Or ‘great minds think alike’ or ‘just cause you’re on a thirteen hour drive doesn’t mean you don’t have to read everything!’ Hee hee

Google research just turned up that Dune du Pilat had a large forest fire in July that burned quite a few campsites to the ground. Looks like that one is off the menu.

Google research just turned up that Dune du Pilat had a large forest fire in July that burned quite a few campsites to the ground. Looks like that one is off the menu.

I stayed in Espot few years back, cracking spot if you like mountains.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the recommendations. Mrs S2bear didn’t fancy wild camping in the Pyrenees (tbh we’ve got so much stuff with us like a drive away awning and SUP in its bag in the boot) that I’m not sure we could’ve made a bed without ejecting the luggage.

So my better half booked us in at Camping Campéole Navarrosse. VERDICT: I cannot wait to leave !

Tomorrow is another day!

Whilst in Javea, have you been to Guadalest ?
I stay in Moraira regularly. Lovely place.
Not sure if the zoo up the mountain is closed now?

Whilst in Javea, have you been to Guadalest ?
I stay in Moraira regularly. Lovely place.
Not sure if the zoo up the mountain is closed now?

Hi there, no not been to guadalest- should I?
Been to javea many times over the years but never in the Cali. Mrs S2bear rented a villa for some R&R after the camping.

Hi there, no not been to guadalest- should I?
Been to javea many times over the years but never in the Cali. Mrs S2bear rented a villa for some R&R after the camping.

Suggested trip. Xalo for wine testing on route then over mountains and call in carrefour in Finestrat on way back to do shopping. Motorway is now free.
Guadalest is a walled village with a great view of a reservoir and mountains, can be busy but worth a trip. You could also divert to Les Fonts d'Algar or do another day.

If you want to go up the rock in Calpe I think at this time of the year you may need to book or get there early and there is a limit on the numbers. Maybe not good idea for very young children as I think it is a bit hard and path is narrow.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the recommendations. Mrs S2bear didn’t fancy wild camping in the Pyrenees (tbh we’ve got so much stuff with us like a drive away awning and SUP in its bag in the boot) that I’m not sure we could’ve made a bed without ejecting the luggage.

So my better half booked us in at Camping Campéole Navarrosse. VERDICT: I cannot wait to leave !

Tomorrow is another day!

I feel I should elaborate on what wasn’t the best night’s camping. We arrived at this lakeside site in Navarrosse around 8:30pm. The temperature was 38° and the atmosphere was very ‘close’.

The pitches are a reasonable size, nestled amongst the pines but the layout and feel was quite claustrophobic - easy to lose your bearings in the dark too. Facilities were basic but fine - in that, no toilet seats or hand soap, kinda way. The hand sanitiser was empty too

Sweltering in the van trying to sleep with all the windows and slider open was a challenge though and at 3 am we were hit by massive thunderstorms. I moved the van as far away as possible, from the pine on our pitch, maybe it was my imagination but it did seem to be much taller than every other tree in the immediate vicinity.
Roof down, 4 of us slept downstairs and we had quite a grumpy ‘little’ crew in the morning .
Quick shower, 10 mins packing up and 10 minutes removing pine needles from every nook and Cali - off we went.

Grumpiness faded away pretty quickly once we were taking in some scenery. And relax…..

I feel I should elaborate on what wasn’t the best night’s camping. We arrived at this lakeside site in Navarrosse around 8:30pm. The temperature was 38° and the atmosphere was very ‘close’.

The pitches are a reasonable size, nestled amongst the pines but the layout and feel was quite claustrophobic - easy to lose your bearings in the dark too. Facilities were basic but fine - in that, no toilet seats or hand soap, kinda way. The hand sanitiser was empty too

Sweltering in the van trying to sleep with all the windows and slider open was a challenge though and at 3 am we were hit by massive thunderstorms. I moved the van as far away as possible, from the pine on our pitch, maybe it was my imagination but it did seem to be much taller than every other tree in the immediate vicinity.
Roof down, 4 of us slept downstairs and we had quite a grumpy ‘little’ crew in the morning .
Quick shower, 10 mins packing up and 10 minutes removing pine needles from every nook and Cali - off we went.

Grumpiness faded away pretty quickly once we were taking in some scenery. And relax…..

Maybe not the best night - but I bet it was the most memorable. You’ll talk about it as a family for years to come.

We’ve just come back from a trip including N Spain, sorry I didn’t see this post earlier. If you’re doing a similar route again, I’d recommend https://www.campingbungalowsvalledetena.es/es/ near Huesca. It’s reasonably priced but is quiet and has shady, good-sized plots with electricity and water. Great mountain views. There’s an (unheated) pool, bar and small restaurant. It’s quite high above sea level so pleasantly cool at night.

San Sebastián is a hoot. A little detour to Zarautz is worth it: try to stay at the campsite on top of the hill on the north side of the bay.
Good route chosen
Totally agree, slight detour to zarautz… very good campsite at top of hill .its an acsi site so big discount .san Sebastian Odin missable , best food in Spain.
Use the toll road to Zarautz as the main road is very slow through the towns….. minimal cost ….. enjoy the cheap diesel !!

Hi we just arrived in Moraira today, steady drive down through France and Spain with overnight stops in Beaune, Argeles Sur Mer, and L.ampolla..have driven your route often and it’s no problem..san Sebastian definately worth a visit and a good stopover before you get to Javea is Albaraccin with a great campsite and a medieval castle to visit..also Teruel very nice