Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anybody here regularly launches / recovers boats with their Cali?

RoB5urf

RoB5urf

Beach with 2-seat bench
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I regularly tow a small trailer to transport windsurfing gear so I'm used to towing. This weekend however, I've been asked to launch and recover a RIB for an event at Christchurch. I've seen first-hand how this sort of thing can go t*ts up so looking for any advice. I've not seen the slip in Christchurch harbour so no idea how steep it is, but my first concern is whether I might have any traction issues with my front-wheel drive, 150ps DSG Beach. Any tips?

I regularly tow a small trailer to transport windsurfing gear so I'm used to towing. This weekend however, I've been asked to launch and recover a RIB for an event at Christchurch. I've seen first-hand how this sort of thing can go t*ts up so looking for any advice. I've not seen the slip in Christchurch harbour so no idea how steep it is, but my first concern is whether I might have any traction issues with my front-wheel drive, 150ps DSG Beach. Any tips?
I’ve got a small fishing dinghy which I regularly launch/recover with an electric winch. Personally I wouldn’t consider using my Cali because of
a) front wheel drive, and
b) salt water

I've assisted in a few launches at various locations and its never been necessary to get the vehicle wet. RIBs generally sit on trailers equipped with rollers which makes things easier. I suppose it could be an issue on a very gradual incline but I've never come across that.

I'm more concerned about trashing the DSG while trying to get traction up a steep ramp.

I used to use a RIB (just SIB's now) and even had issue on (dodgy) slips with my Landy 110.

The usual solution [in your scenario] once having maneuvered the trailer and Cali into position is to unhitch and rig a tow rope/decent bridle of appropriate length tied to the Cali tow ball and the other end to the trailer hitch - keep the Cali well on the dry and level while the trailer is in the drink. Make sure the Cali rope end cannot slip off the ball and leave the bow winch strap done until ready to float the RIB off. :thumb

I have a 19’ trailer sailer, weighing about 1600kg. Launched by my 150 DSG Ocean no problem
7131c012283a92e1e2aa5f6eb41fca5b.jpg

Here I am at Largs

https://caliventures364847572.wordpress.com/

Shouldn't be an issue, I used to regularly tow, launch and recover my 6m rib with the Cali and currently considering a larger 6.5m rib which will also launch/recover using the Cali

Back