Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anyone got a Mr D’s thermal cooker?

Has anyone a good method for cooking basmati white rice in the top pot. I never seem to get the water rice ratio correct?. Always seems to be a bit watery and not fluffy.

Wow looks like I have been missing out, but can do a great roast chicken dinner including roast potatoes with 2 pans and a hot plate.

Possibly a silly question, would you be able to use a thermal cooker on a spirit burner or would it be the case you can't get enough initial heat generation?

Possibly a silly question, would you be able to use a thermal cooker on a spirit burner or would it be the case you can't get enough initial heat generation?
For most things you need to bring the liquid in the pan to boiling and boil/simmer for 10-15 mins before putting in the thermal outer pot. So, I don’t see why not As long as your pot isn’t too big (for thermal cooking it works effectively if there’s no empty space in the pot.

The optimum distance between the flame and the bottom of the pot/pan when cooking with spirit is 2.5cm (1 inch).

I use a Trangia burner in the fuel basket of my Cobb and using my 3litre thermal cooking pot on it is on my “experiments to try list” (with spirit and charcoal).

Do you already have a thermal cooker or are just thinking of getting one, Karlos?

For most things you need to bring the liquid in the pan to boiling and boil/simmer for 10-15 mins before putting in the thermal outer pot. So, I don’t see why not As long as your pot isn’t too big (for thermal cooking it works effectively if there’s no empty space in the pot.

The optimum distance between the flame and the bottom of the pot/pan when cooking with spirit is 2.5cm (1 inch).

I use a Trangia burner in the fuel basket of my Cobb and using my 3litre thermal cooking pot on it is on my “experiments to try list” (with spirit and charcoal).

Do you already have a thermal cooker or are just thinking of getting one, Karlos?
Thanks Elly I am thinking of getting one, I love slow cooking cooked a leg of pork in our plug in slow cooker yesterday but obviously that has to be plugged in all day.
I like the look of these and think it would be great in the van as well as home.

I use my thermal cooker both in the Cali and on my small boat, which has an Origo meths burner. It works just fine and have used it with great success, including bread making. Never tried a large single piece of meat in it though, what’s important is to get the whole contents really hot all the way through, which is easier for things in smaller pieces but prob just means longer initial cook for large joint. Did lamb shanks in the van a couple of weeks ago and they were good. You’ll possibly also need to heat everything through before serving too.

50a927dabc8ffb83c6bcedc475b5eef1.jpg

I use my thermal cooker both in the Cali and on my small boat, which has an Origo meths burner. It works just fine and have used it with great success, including bread making. Never tried a large single piece of meat in it though, what’s important is to get the whole contents really hot all the way through, which is easier for things in smaller pieces but prob just means longer initial cook for large joint. Did lamb shanks in the van a couple of weeks ago and they were good. You’ll possibly also need to heat everything through before serving too.

50a927dabc8ffb83c6bcedc475b5eef1.jpg

Looks tasty so when the inner has been in the thermal pot for a good few hours the food is cooked but just needs some het to bring back to full temp.

Yes, that’s right. It depends on how long it is left for. It’s important that there is as little air space as possible, to keep the heat longer. If necessary, I boil water in the top pan and put that over the main pan if there is a lot of air space in the main pan.

Yes, that’s right. It depends on how long it is left for. It’s important that there is as little air space as possible, to keep the heat longer. If necessary, I boil water in the top pan and put that over the main pan if there is a lot of air space in the main pan.

Thanks for the advice.

Thanks Elly I am thinking of getting one, I love slow cooking cooked a leg of pork in our plug in slow cooker yesterday but obviously that has to be plugged in all day.
I like the look of these and think it would be great in the van as well as home.
Apart from Trangia alcohol what other fuel/equipment do you use?

If you are 4 hearty eaters you may need to think about bigger than a 3litre. Or if, say you want to do curry underneath with rice in a top pot at the same time. But then it takes more space in the van. Also if you’re cooking for less you need to fill the space for the thermal process to work effectively. All depends what and how you want to cook and how much food you’re cooking. 3 litre is great for a 1.4kg boiling bacon joint, also stew/curry/chilli for 2 adults and 2 kids.

Last edited:
Cali hob if off grid and can't use the Trangia usually due to weather and double electric hob when on EHC.
Just out of interest Karlos. Do you use the Trangia burner with the Trangia kit, on it’s own with a pot stand or with another bit of kit?

I use mine in my Cobb oven/grill (in the fuel basket where charcoal normally goes) for instant heat & short cooks (eg, bacon & egg buttie). The firebox stove that I have is also designed so both the Trangia alcohol and gas burners clip in, so I have both which is really handy depending on where we’re going, what we’re doing and what type of weather it’s gonna be.

0166B2EE-BF29-423B-B343-A2B3F918F9D4.jpeg

F7F8A20B-C395-4D37-AF54-8AB519A85EF9.jpeg

Just out of interest Karlos. Do you use the Trangia burner with the Trangia kit, on it’s own with a pot stand or with another bit of kit?

I use mine in my Cobb oven/grill (in the fuel basket where charcoal normally goes) for instant heat & short cooks (eg, bacon & egg buttie). The firebox stove that I have is also designed so both the Trangia alcohol and gas burners clip in, so I have both which is really handy depending on where we’re going, what we’re doing and what type of weather it’s gonna be.

View attachment 56263

View attachment 56265
Hi Elly I use the Trangia in its kit form, I only got it at Christmas and so far have used it for hot drinks, bacon butties and warming a stew. I had hoped to get a lot more camping done this winter but as it has been so wet I have wimped out.

I have spent 7 hours today cleaning and polishing the van as we are supposed to be going to Scotland on Friday for 10 days so was hoping to get lots more done with it as no sites booked and looking to wild camp a lot of the time but that looks doubtful now.

Back