Anyone have PACKASHACK?

Borris

Borris

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hello Cali chums.
For some time I've been thinking of getting some form of tail gate awning. Some such device could prove useful for picnics and camping during inclement weather. IMO any tail gate awning would have to be very compact for stowing thereby taking up the minimum of space. It would also need to involve the very minimum of time, fuss and effort to attach and stow away otherwise it wouldn't get used. Finally, it would need to be of excellent quality.

Most products that I've seen either involve way too much faffing around for it to be worth the hassle or are too bulky when packed away. However I recently discovered the PACKASHACK tail gate awning:

This product seems to fulfill all the criteria although I'm uncertain about the quality aspect at present. Have you got one of these chaps? If so I would welcome your input.

The sort of use we would put it to, would be at picnic sites when the weather is less than optimal. We would like to be able to cook from our pull out boot tray kitchen without removing anything. The sort of weather I'm thinking of is that nasty slanty rain driven in by a light wind. Anything worse and it would be the pub.

The video shows it being fitted to a Mercedes vehicle however their blurb says it was originaly designed for VW Transporter models with the lift up tail gate.

Last edited:
Hi Borris

no experience of that product but found these reviews

Bit of a pain if you want go off site for walk etc. Assume you would need to have to take it down to shut the rear hatch.

Bit of a pain if you want go off site for walk etc. Assume you would need to have to take it down to shut the rear hatch.
I can’t see why you couldn’t shut the tailgate whilst still attached if you loosen the cord around the boot.

re looking at the vid you probably would put even need to loosen the sock cord so long as the suction cups were mounted as close to the rear of the pop top as possible (on the chassis roof)

Last edited:
Hi Borris

no experience of that product but found these reviews

Thanks very much. I'll have a look. :thumb

Yes I agree. Actually IF I do decide to buy one I would only envisage using it to provide quick very temporary shelter for picnics and the like. I cannot really see us wanting to either use it much, if at all, on a campsite where we would set up other more suitable facilities i.e our Comfortz awning room or Vango AirBeam drive away awning. Leaving the boot open when you go out or overnight clearly wouldn't be advisable.

We have a Reimo one that's very easy to put up and we have envisaged the very application you suggest. We picked it up second hand along with our drive away awning, but haven't got around to using it yet. But I will say it's small and of good quality!

We have a Reimo one that's very easy to put up and we have envisaged the very application you suggest. We picked it up second hand along with our drive away awning, but haven't got around to using it yet. But I will say it's small and of good quality!

I looked at the Reimo Tailgate offering and liked it very much. The trouble is you can't get one anywhere at present. Well actually that isn't quite true. You can buy a new one off Ebay but the price they are asking is ridiculous:

Screenshot_20211027-220622_eBay.jpg

I looked at the Reimo Tailgate offering and liked it very much. The trouble is you can't get one anywhere at present. Well actually that isn't quite true. You can buy a new one off Ebay but the price they are asking is ridiculous:

View attachment 86063
Blimey! Mine was thrown in to some extent with the drive-away. You could probably have it for half of that! ;)

Actually you probably could have had it for much less than that as I don’t think we’ll get around to using it…but now I’m thinking this is an appreciating asset!!!

Hello Cali chums.
For some time I've been thinking of getting some form of tail gate awning. Some such device could prove useful for picnics and camping during inclement weather. IMO any tail gate awning would have to be very compact for stowing thereby taking up the minimum of space. It would also need to involve the very minimum of time, fuss and effort to attach and stow away otherwise it wouldn't get used. Finally, it would need to be of excellent quality.

Most products that I've seen either involve way too much faffing around for it to be worth the hassle or are too bulky when packed away. However I recently discovered the PACKASHACK tail gate awning:

This product seems to fulfill all the criteria although I'm uncertain about the quality aspect at present. Have you got one of these chaps? If so I would welcome your input.

The sort of use we would put it to, would be at picnic sites when the weather is less than optimal. We would like to be able to cook from our pull out boot tray kitchen without removing anything. The sort of weather I'm thinking of is that nasty slanty rain driven in by a light wind. Anything worse and it would be the pub.

The video shows it being fitted to a Mercedes vehicle however their blurb says it was originaly designed for VW Transporter models with the lift up tail gate.
So, no windows or vents unlike the Remo offering. A bit dark and stuffy for cooking over a gas burner? Or am I missing something. Also a bit small/cramped if you have something like a Slidepod kitchen setup on a pull out tray?

Blimey! Mine was thrown in to some extent with the drive-away. You could probably have it for half of that! ;)

Actually you probably could have had it for much less than that as I don’t think we’ll get around to using it…but now I’m thinking this is an appreciating asset!!!
Stick it on Ebay for £1000. Bargain :thumb

So, no windows or vents unlike the Remo offering. A bit dark and stuffy for cooking over a gas burner? Or am I missing something. Also a bit small/cramped if you have something like a Slidepod kitchen setup on a pull out tray?
Whilst I would prefer the Reimo offering I believe you can spec the Packashack with windows. Re ventilation, the entire end wall can be opened by degrees from a small letterbox opening at the top until completely open. Besides the fit to the van isn't that snug so I doubt if ventilation would be an issue. It may be a bit dark for some but with the window option it should be ok. Also our van has the extra LED lighting option in the tailgate so no problem. As for being small and cramped, all I really need one for is to provide a sheltered cooking area on the odd inclement day. When using the pull out tray I can access everything with ease without stepping out from under the rear tail gate so it should prove more than adequate in terms of space. It could also prove useful for a range of other applications too numerous to mention.

Last edited:
Back