Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anyone raised their "Cali" ..????

Californiaman said:
Great big ones? Down both sides? ;)

Some sort of tourist bashing device would be good as they can't drive on the roads down here.

We've got side bars; that's a start!

The Busfest T5 California 4Motion has just had its suspension upgraded by fitting Pedders Springs & Dampers to its rear end.

The 4motion T5 (especially the California) has always had a saggy arse end mainly due to the extra weight of the 4motion system and all the other stuff which has been/is put into the vehicle, I believe It should have been given upgraded springs/suspension from the very beginning as part of its Cali build up in the factory.

Even unloaded the 4motion Cali's were near their unladen weight limit (that is why they cannot have the 5th seat option (unless you pull a few strings ;)) & why there are no spare wheels when you have the nice big alloys - like on this one - it would never fit underneath without having to jack up the back of the van!).

Loaded up it sits even lower & towing it just does not look (or feel!) right. We do a lot of towing with this van & there was not a lot of clearance & it was also a bit "lively" when using a vehicle trailer & transporting one of our "real" Syncro's ;)

SO, it was time for a suspension upgrade. We have already had a PEDDERS kit fitted to our T5 Promo van & that gave instant improvement so it was time to give the Cali the same treatment & the end result is very pleasing. The ride is vastly improved when heavily loaded or towing. In fact while it was up on the lift having the conversion done (which takes just over 1 hour to do) there was evidence that the suspension has been right on its limit and hitting its bump stops. Now the Suspension sits nicely in mid range & the ride height + rear is now 4.5cm higher

BUT, I might just now have to use leveling chocs now to get my bed & kettle level! - now I wonder if that was the reason the Cali boffins + VW decided to leave the suspension alone in the first place

The Cali has just completed a 2500 mile road trip around Europe to the BERLIN BUS VW FESTIVAL & back all in 8 days!. The trip was absolutely brilliant with the new springs (The Cali has done the trip twice previously).

The van is now a joy to drive in all conditions. It does not roll or feel spongy & rear passenger comfort has not been comprimised. AND amazingly I can say that since fitting the kit there is one less dead bunny on the road. Went right over one stood up in middle of road, that extra 4.5cm lift at the back meant that his head stayed on. (not sure if it made it past the car behind though! :oops: )

Anybody interested can get more info here; info@pedders.co.uk http://www.pedders.co.uk

or (as it happens) there is going to be a complete report on the Pedders Suspension upgrade to the Cali in the next (September?) issue of VW Bus T4 T5 :bananadance :bananadance

:cool:

Re: Anyone raised their "Cali" ..????

I've just received a reply to my enquiry to Seikel about their 4-motion lift kit. I did ask for information but have just a quote for €1555 including VAT and shipping for the parts to show for my efforts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The Pedders System (heavy Duty Coil Springs & Comfort Gas Shocks) to raise the rear of your Cali 4motion costs under £300.

:bananadance

:cool:

I think the Seikel kit is set up for all 4 corners, not just the rear end. Also full TUV approval so (if I had any warranty), no VW warranty or insurance issues. Apparently they supply T5s to police and other units Africa and the Middle East, so I guess they know their stuff - but I'd like a bit more info from them and it's a lot of dosh. Cheaper than dinging the Cali on a cart track though and less stressful when the going gets a bit rough. Will let you know if I go down this route.

I think the Seikel kit is set up for all 4 corners, not just the rear end. Also full TUV approval so (if I had any warranty), no VW warranty or insurance issues. Apparently they supply T5s to police and other units Africa and the Middle East, so I guess they know their stuff - but I'd like a bit more info from them and it's a lot of dosh. Cheaper than dinging the Cali on a cart track though and less stressful when the going gets a bit rough. Will let you know if I go down this route.

it would be great if it could also cope with auto leveling when you get to your chosen pitch!

I saw an example of that at Calis on the Farm - at £1000 per corner. Fascinating but the hydraulics underneath didn't seem well suited to farm tracks to me. I'd imagine it drove beautifully though.

Re: Anyone raised their "Cali" ..????

RobdeBear said:
I saw an example of that at Calis on the Farm - at £1000 per corner. Fascinating but the hydraulics underneath didn't seem well suited to farm tracks to me. I'd imagine it drove beautifully though.

Plus self levelling to take it to £4.5k ..

A PanAmericana on a school run ...Not sure it would get away with the vw lowering springs .... :bananadance

panAmericana.jpeg

Back