Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anyone running Winter tyres all year round?

s2bear

s2bear

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
I’m about to replace my tyres. Winter Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 (275/35R20) and they’ve lasted 23,000 miles run year round since Nov 2017.
Ok so 10.5k of that was alpine winter trips and the remainder was 18months in which I’d probably run winters anyway.

I’m aware of the performance drop above 7° but as a higher proportion of my mileage is Alpine/winter I’m tempted to just run winters again. More so because I can’t see myself doing massive mileage before summer’s out.

I think 23k out of any tyre is pretty reasonable but especially a winter one as they’re supposed to wear quicker out of season.
Also, noise wise, the replacement Nokian I’m looking at is rated at 70db vs many summer alternatives at 72/73db.

Winter 20” tyres £800+
Vs
Summer 20” tyres £400+

Winter 17”tyres £400+ on my spare Cascavels but because my Beach is lowered 70mm they look REALLY odd in a Mario Kart sort of way. I could run H&R spacers but something in the back of my mind has always been wary of such things.
maybe I just get some banded steel GP 17” and run winters on those.

Any thoughts?
BRACE. BRACE. BRACE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It appears that you are already aware of the pros and cons of winter tyres....lower speed rating, and greater wear due to winter compound, generally higher cost.

If it works for you, then it's your van and you can do what you like.

Personally I run summer Davenport with Continentals April through October, then VW steels with Dunlop winters the remaining time.

If you are sticking in the uk I would leave them on all year round.
I wouldnt fancy doing the length of France on them at 90mph in 30+ degrees though.
We come down to Spain regularly at Easter & I can never decide which wheels to put on, it can be down close to freezing & snow on the hard shoulder on the stretch round Millau, then high 20s when dropping down to the med. I tend to leave the Winters on but they do wear fast at high temperatures.

Crossclimates or other all season tyres? A different set of compromises though

Yes I considered all season but the size doesn’t work which is a shame. There are some winters from continental which have been reviewed as ‘almost an all season’ so I’ll take a closer look at those. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have two sets of wheels with winter tyres fitted .... I keep the good ones for winter and the used but still legal ones for summer .... no issues

Have had winter tyres on my Golf GTi all year - mainly due to not getting round to changing them. They've been fine. The handling is not particularly sharp but in reality on crowded roads its not really an issue. The wear has been ok and will be good for this winter.

Yes winters will wear faster in summer and in most cases worse fuel consumption. If you're doing lowish mileages in your van, that might still be fine.

If looking at all costs and contemplating winter and summer changes, also need to factor in costs of either (a) a second set of wheels; or if only one set of wheels then (b) two tyre shop visits a year to swap the tyres. My local place charges £10 a corner to change tyres so that's going to be £80 a year at least.

So economics of just keeping winters on all year MIGHT make sense. However the UK (specially southern half) is ideal for 'all-seasons' tyres so that's what I run on both our Cali and our daily drivers.

Back