Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dedicated Winter Tyres [Good for Mud & Wet Grass too]

I like how you lot in the UK are taking the initiative to put
winter tyres on.
If only every car had them fitted in the colder months....

@Wiggly Woo The Cross Climates don't seem to have a particularly aggressive tread pattern. I wonder how they'd fare in mud or damn grass?

@Elmo, which ones? Either of these?
https://www.mytyres.co.uk/rshop/Tyres/Cooper/Discoverer-ATT/225-60-R17-103H-XL/R-395093
https://www.mytyres.co.uk/rshop/Tyr...0-R17-103H-XL---mit-Felgenhornschutz/R-350297

@BJG good thinking

Ive ran these on my T6 Ocean for about 8 months. Not tested on deep snow yet, but we did encounter a bit earlier in the year and they were fine.
However, I’m not convinced they give great traction on Wet mud and grass.
Don’t get me wrong, got into some very wet sticky stuff in Switzerland this year and we did get off, but I was getting a bit concerned...

I feel a tyre better suited to M&S is better placed for the Cali as that’s what you are more lightly to encounter living in Britain.
I may well look at different tyres when it comes to changing.

Those Goodrich look meaty but they never appear in the top
5 winter tyre test with the ADAC.
They have the 3 peaks and snowflake symbol but they're not a "dedicated" winter tyre per se. Most tests I've read compare winter tyres against winter tyres and typically in cold climates too.

This USA based test plays a different game. --> Tyre Test

Rather than compare "like for like" they have an assortment of tyres namely;
  1. Goodyear Wrangler Fortitude HT OWL SL (P-metric) - Extremely popular All round SUV Tyre
  2. Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 SL (P-metric) - Dedicated Winter Tyre
  3. Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT LT (E load range) - Studded Winter Tyre
  4. BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 RWL LT (C load range) - M+S With 3 peaks and Snowflake
  5. Firestone Destination MT LT (E load range) - Dedicated High-void Mud-terrain Traction tyres
As you'd expect, in snowy conditions the two "dedicated" winter tyres out performed the rest. The BFG's however came out very well, better than the Wrangler and significantly better than the Firestone.

Another interesting read here asks whether the BFG K02 is, indeed, the best all terrain tyre for snow traction --> Best All Terrain Tyre in the Snow

For my needs, winter driving with off road capabilities, the BFG certainly meets my criteria which is why I've bought them!

The best price for delivery and fitting was Asda. £129.64 each corner

IMG_1835.jpg
Here you see a BFG Goodrich K02 225/65/17 next to the original 235/55/17

IMG_1837.jpg
This is the BFG Goodrich K02 225/65/17 next to the Pirelli Zero 245/40/20. The P Zero looks like an elastic band around the rim compared to the BFG!

IMG_1838.jpg
Profile shot showing both tyres on my 2018 T6 30mm lowered Cali Ocean

Having driven them for 250 miles yesterday and today I can report:
  1. No noticeable increase in road noise
  2. Minimal hit on fuel compared to my P Zero
  3. NO wheel spin when pulling off in the wet
  4. Awesome traction on wet grass and mud.
  5. No "random" gear changes by the DSG
  6. Speed bumps are almost a joy to go over
  7. Significantly reduced likelihood of the Mrs kerbing the 20" alloys.

Last edited:
I feel a tyre better suited to M&S is better placed for the Cali as that’s what you are more lightly to encounter living in Britain.
I may well look at different tyres when it comes to changing.
@soulstyledevon after the 250 miles covered yesterday and today I have no qualms with the KO2's.

The temperature on Saturday was 10 degrees whilst today it was 7 degrees and if your requirement is like mine; occasional flurries of snow, rain and very wet fields or muddy patches, I can recommend them.

I drove through the city, up a dual carriageway, along forestry fire tracks and over some very wet fields. There is absolutely no way my Pirelli P Zero would have coped with the wet field! No way whatsoever!!!!

Last edited:
Does anybody have any advice in 18” winters or 4 seasons for factory 18” alloys???
I noticed my preferred tyres Goodyear 4seasons don’t come in 255 45 18s :(

Last edited:
Does anybody have any advice in 18” winters or 4 seasons for factory 18” alloys???
I noticed my preferred tyres Goodyear 4seasons don’t come in 255 45 18s :(
@Jay17cali Very different requirements tbh. "4 season" or "winter".

4 season are a type of "Jack of all trades" whereas "winter" work better at lower temperatures.

"Winter" wouldn't last many miles in the summer due to the softer compound. Which do you prefer? "Winter" or "4 season"

Posted on a thread concerning the same subject I said:
I've just got 40,000 and still have two of the original factory fitted Continental Vanco Four Season tyres with 7mm - can't fault then. Changed the other pair at 38k with 2.5mm left.
I've not done any extreme weather but Mrs Stoneybroke does dog agility and hasn't been towed off a muddy field in three years.

1574619146977.gif

@Jay17cali Very different requirements tbh. "4 season" or "winter".

4 season are a type of "Jack of all trades" whereas "winter" work better at lower temperatures.

"Winter" wouldn't last many miles in the summer due to the softer compound. Which do you prefer? "Winter" or "4 season"
i would prefer 4seasons
I had the Goodyear 4seasons on my last California 17” and they were great
As I said unfortunately they don’t do them in 255/45/18s so I’m seeking an alternative I understand winters are only really for winter but struggling to find a 4season tyre apart from budget ones
would love some feedback or advice on any 18” 4season tyres if possible

@soulstyledevon after the 250 miles covered yesterday and today I have no qualms with the KO2's.

The temperature on Saturday was 10 degrees whilst today it was 7 degrees and if your requirement is like mine; occasional flurries of snow, rain and very wet fields or muddy patches, I can recommend them.

I drove through the city, up a dual carriageway, along forestry fire tracks and over some very wet fields. There is absolutely no way my Pirelli P Zero would have coped with the wet field! No way whatsoever!!!!

Be good to hear your thoughts again after winter...
Do they have the 3peak and snowflake symbol?

Just had Nokian WRC 3 fitted 215/60/17 109/107T these replace 4 x Continental Van contact 200 which had done 22300 miles since new.

View attachment 52631
I have these as my main winter tyres, great in snow, I think these are much better than the Cross Climates in snow, I use those as my summer tyres. I definitely think winter specific tyres (215/60/17) work better in snow than all season tyres.

Hi 4x4 . What size are your Bfg’s ? You don’t use studs ? Do you carry chains and if so what make ? Thanks .
I’m in the U.K. just now. I was using Yokohama ice spike in Norway. These are 245 65 R17. I just christened them.
74767ECD-887B-4A30-95C4-6E0F7AA929FC.jpegA71FC8A0-25CF-4A54-8815-BFF04A712573.jpeg

I envy those KMC holeshots: they’re lovely. My Mrs won’t let me buy them. Do the BFG put you over 2m?
If I put a board across the solar panel (my highest point) and measure to the floor. I’m getting 2005mm so yes and with an awning it would be higher I believe. I never come across 2m barriers so I’m more inclined to lift mine a bit more to gain some additional ground clearance.

See if this link to my google photos video works?
I was out doing some drone work and treating my Ocean like a Landrover and couldn’t resist testing the new BFGoodrich. The ground is soft and wet.

I’m in the U.K. just now. I was using Yokohama ice spike in Norway. These are 245 65 R17. I just christened them.
View attachment 53010View attachment 53011
View attachment 53010View attachment 53011
Hi 4x4 thanks for info . I fitted 225/65/17 Bf G ko2 in the spring after wearing my Dunlop winter sport out on trip to Nordkapp last Sept/ Oct . I’m keeping Bfg’s on all year now as they’ll be great in muddy fields as well as snow . I’m looking to see which chains will fit over my bfg’s . Does anyone know which size / type fit not that I think I’ll need them but some places require to carry in winter ? My current Husky unused chains I got from club shop don’t fit and now for sale . Thanks15A1CC56-9FAF-4FBE-A88E-8546391B2290.jpegDEAF0A19-9935-48A3-A738-01EBF9419F89.jpeg

Last edited: