Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Auxilliary tent

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Being a family with a dog and loads of kit, we find our Blacks 3 man dome tent very handy for stashing stuff like the bulky baby seat, a big box of outdoor kit and for the dog to sleep in.

However it does take a wee while to pitch and is "officially" slightly too large. It's in this picture here:

P1010838.jpg

We're rather attached to it as it's done many years good service (it's VERY weatherproof!) but a small rip has appeared and I wonder if we ought to get something smaller and quicker to pitch.

Any suggestions on a "pop up" tent or similar easy pitching thing? Seems it needs to be less than 2mx1.9m to be officially allowed. Ours is definitely a wee bit bigger than that.

Cheers!

We have same problem and have tried several pop ups with the best being a quechua, they do a good range of sizes aswell.

Martin said:
We have same problem and have tried several pop ups with the best being a quechua, they do a good range of sizes aswell.

Been checking these out - any particular model? They look like the ideal sort of thing. I don't mind pitching a tent at all and it's handy to keep the dog and her fur in a tent rather than a van! Also not sure where we'd store the baby seat otherwise - it's huge and doesn't flatten!

I notice Vango make one too - I assume the Quecha is better?

quechua have excellent customer service and you will see them everywhere when on the continent, we had a small problem with the bag and they sent us a brand new tent and did not have to send the other one back, they are also very very easy to put down and back in the bag, literally less than a minute. We use the two seconds II for our storage but sounds like you have a bit more kit than us so maybe go for the two seconds III.

KernowLad said:
Seems it needs to be less than 2mx1.9m to be officially allowed. Ours is definitely a wee bit bigger than that.
!

Just wandering where this restriction on size is from, is it a specific campsite restriction?

syrup1971 said:
KernowLad said:
Seems it needs to be less than 2mx1.9m to be officially allowed. Ours is definitely a wee bit bigger than that.
!

Just wandering where this restriction on size is from, is it a specific campsite restriction?

Seems to vary a bit but 2m x 2m is so far the maximum (from a mere three campsites!). TBH though, no one has said a word about our tent yet. Could just do with something a little easier and quicker to put up and take down.

Ordered a Quecha 2 Second III from Decathlon - I think we might need the space (might occasionally stash a small surfboard in it) and it's still pretty small and only £15 more!

Cheers once again Martin - you're an advice superstar!

After lots of searching we bought a Quechua Base Full and we love it! 30 seconds to put up and 2 mins to peg out. It gives loads of storage space (2.25m x 2.25m) - the only problem is that we have been told to take it down at a couple of campsites as it is a tent and not a drive away awning. We now make sure that we check with the campsite that they are happy for us to pitch the tent before booking, and so far everything has been ok. There have been a few campsites that would not let us pitch the tent, so we have just found somewhere else to book. We prefer the stand alone tent to a drive away awning as we do not feel boxed in when it is pitched next to the van.

Arrived yesterday and its good bit of kit! Goes up very easily and looks pretty solid. The size is right too.

Cheers for the recommendation!

Back