Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Avoid Euro tunnel?

Freeley

Freeley

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi we're heading to Europe for 2 weeks in early September, was thinking of using the tunnel as before but with all the migrant issues I'm wondering if it's better to avoid it at the moment and go by ferry instead?
I'm thinking in terms of queues and traffic hold ups etc, don't want to be sat there for hours.
Only problem with the ferries is that because we've left it so late we can't get a cabin for the overnight crossing heading out and it's quite expensive at about £500 for a return (which does include a cabin on the way back).
Initially I was wanting to avoid the tunnel like the plague but now I'm thinking that people are still using it so it must be OK provided you're not driving a lorry!

Any thoughts?

Sent from my Galaxy S6

It is hit or miss but I will still use the tunnel. The only disruption that I experienced, when it was at it's worst, was a 90 minute hold up at Folkestone.

The tunnel is a horrible journey from Devon, have you tried the Portsmouth or Newhaven routes ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We used the tunnel last Sunday en route home. No sign of any 'immigrant' activity however it was four hours between arriving at the terminal and getting back to England. Part of this was due to a 30 min queue at the dog check-in (for those who have not used Eurotunnel you have to do this first as we found out), then long queues for passport control and even to get into the car park. Finally a faulty train unit. As others have said though, it's a bit hit and miss and this is a very busy time of year, however they do seem to be having a few train faults lately, possibly due to ageing rolling stock If you can justify the extra cost, Flexiplus is the way to go - always straight on the next shuttle.

The tunnel is a horrible journey from Devon, have you tried the Portsmouth or Newhaven routes ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I know what you mean Martin but we go up after work on a Friday evening so traffic is OK. I've been looking at ferry crossings from Portsmouth/Newhaven but all the cabins seem to have gone for the overnight crossing which puts me off a bit - and it's way more expensive

Sent from my Galaxy S6

I was expecting a few responses saying "don't use the tunnel whatever you do" but it seems as though things aren't as bad as I thought?
I'm starting to lean towards the tunnel now!

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Last night I cruised in and got an earlier by 3 mins crossing than I was booked for....did not sleep at Citie Europe Shopping though...see other thread ....

Last night I cruised in and got an earlier by 3 mins crossing than I was booked for....did not sleep at Citie Europe Shopping though...see other thread ....
Yes I saw that. I was thinking of overnighting at a premier Inn at Ashford and catching an early train Saturday morning and driving straight to our first night destination - at the moment am thinking of kaysersberg as we stopped there a couple of years ago and loved the area.
Tunnel sounds a bit more promising now.

Sent from my Galaxy S6

It was fine ...lots of French Cops the other side and Citie Europe was cordoned off...slept at GraveLines as you will see on other thread...

Heater on at Spa Circuit tonight ...typical Spa weather....!!!

On return, end of July, we crossed at 8.20am with only a 10 minute delay. Most disruptive activity is overnight or in the heat of the day so early transfers help. Overnighted at Veurne, Belgium, and drove straight to the terminal. Good luck. PS We start from Bristol and the cost/convenience easily outweighs the astronomic ferry charges anywhere west of Dover.

We're off to Switzerland/Germany in sept & will be towing my bike trailer, when I compared the prices of tunnel & ferry it turned out to be twice the price going through the tunnel so looks like we'll be spending our first night in Dover

Been over the channel numerous times over the years and we always used ferries/cats - it was much cheaper in the old days when there was more competition especially when the fast Catamaran was running.

However, for some years now we have used the tunnel; the speed (saves an hour), ease of use, comfort, reliability, lack of drunken idiots on coaches/hoards of school groups/general noise, no chance of sea-sickness, rough seas, being stuck outside ports rolling about in the sea etc makes the extra cost (not that much more if you book the basic ticket in advance) well worth it.

We use ferries all the time, mainly due to cost, although the tunnel can be cheap if you have spare tesco vouchers.

We paid a bit more this time and upgraded to the P+O executive lounge which was nice - and we ate our own body weight in "complimentary" peanuts, crisps, fruit, tea, coffee and fizzy pop - well worth the extra, but probably brings the price up to Tunnel prices....

Using the Ferry in Calais was a pleasure, and other than the spiffing new fences purchased by Mr Cameron then you wouldn't know there was a problem.

Obviously you are in the lap of the gods with industrial action!

Euro tunnel want to charge a ridiculous increase in normal fare for a motorbike trailer, works out at £150 each way & P&O will do both ways for £167, normally I'd use the tunnel as not keen on boat travel.

We find the biggest advantage of the tunnel is that they tend to offer you the next available space rather than the crossing you are actually booked on. We tend to book a 9 am crossing back from Calais with the idea of turning up late the evening before & either spending the night in the car park or getting an earlier train. It takes the stress out of aiming for an exact time when you've got a long journey.

This weekend we left Girona at 11am Sat with 1350km to Calais, spent 7 hours doing the first 250km & ended up at Calais at 1am sunday, we were given a choice of 3.30, 5,30 or our booked 8.30 crossing we went for the 8.30 as I wanted some sleep, however we spent an hour or so at customs & were prevented from going to the car park by a security man & were squeezed on as the last vehicle on train that was leaving immediately & home 2 hours later.

I don't remember ever actually travelling on the train we have booked.

Back