Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awning will not retract - aahh

A

AustinCali

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi All

I have been watching the forums for a while but this is my first post.

My pride and joy is a 2011 SE in toffee brown. Ive been living in it for the past week in ireland while I rennovate an old cottage.

Tonight when i went to move the cali to a flat spot for bed time the awning would not roll in. Its stuck fully out and when i give the winder some welly it just clicks.

I have to get a ferry home tomorrow night so id be grateful for any pointer yo getting it back in.

Thanks in advance

Austin

Hi All

My pride and joy is a 2011 SE in toffee brown. Ive been living in it for the past week in ireland while I rennovate an old cottage.

Tonight when i went to move the cali to a flat spot for bed time the awning would not roll in. Its stuck fully out and when i give the winder some welly it just clicks.

I have to get a ferry home tomorrow night so id be grateful for any pointer yo getting it back in.

Thanks in advance

Austin

Hi All

Thanks in advance

Austin
Sorry to hear that. It sounds as if one of the gear wheels has lost some teeth. All I can suggest is someone Pushes in the awning as you turn the handle to wind in to try and overcome the stripped section of gearing.

Sorry to hear that. It sounds as if one of the gear wheels has lost some teeth. All I can suggest is someone Pushes in the awning as you turn the handle to wind in to try and overcome the stripped section of gearing.

That sounds like a plan. I'll give it a go once i recover from sleeping at about 30 degrees lean

Thanks for your help!

Does the handle turn? Are you turning it the right way? (Stating the bleeding obvious here but you never know). If you can't get it to retract you can remove the whole thing.

Ok - The awning is back in (phew)

I think Welshgas is on the right track with the gear missing a tooth or two. I didnt have a spare pair of hands so i tied tge two sprung arms together to take the tension off and then the handle was able to wind it in. As soon as the tension loaded up again it clicked so i had to repeat the process until there was 1m left.

Ill take it for repairs when im home. Anyone know somewhere in the midlands?

Thanks for the help & support (moral and technical)

Austin

Ok - The awning is back in (phew)

I think Welshgas is on the right track with the gear missing a tooth or two. I didnt have a spare pair of hands so i tied tge two sprung arms together to take the tension off and then the handle was able to wind it in. As soon as the tension loaded up again it clicked so i had to repeat the process until there was 1m left.

Ill take it for repairs when im home. Anyone know somewhere in the midlands?

Thanks for the help & support (moral and technical)

Austin
The Gearbox needs replacing. Part 8 and possibly Part 9 as well, but I would start with Part 8.

http://www.omnistorawnings.co.uk/department/5102/

Thats so helpful - thank you.

Dare i ask isit an easy diy replacement or best left to the pro's?

Thats so helpful - thank you.

Dare i ask isit an easy diy replacement or best left to the pro's?
I think it is fairly straightforward but if you are unsure I wouldn't go to VW. A Caravan Or Motorhome Dealership might be more sensible.

Back