Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Awnings used with van heater

I

icic

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Just wondered if anyone had managed to successfully heat a drive away awing with the onboard heater with the door open. I presume you would need a skirt under the van to deflect the fumes, and a small awning. Be great to know if this could work

I think a separate heater is best.
Yes there are fumes under the van, but I think a bigger issue maybe directing the heat. People have enough problems getting it up top... how are you planning on getting it into an awning... which is a larger volume, not air tight and less insulated...
I’m not convinced this could work...

Just out of interest, where is the exhaust of the auxiliary heater?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Just out of interest, where is the exhaust of the auxiliary heater?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
Basically , drivers side, RHD, towards the midline of the vehicle and about the level of the front of the sliding door. The Heater is underneath the Drivers seat.

Just wondered if anyone had managed to successfully heat a drive away awing with the onboard heater with the door open. I presume you would need a skirt under the van to deflect the fumes, and a small awning. Be great to know if this could work
Unlikely to be very effective. I would suggest a 230v Fan Heater.

Reasons that it won't work

heater is designed to heat the inside with doors closed.
Vent is by the door resulting in heat mainly going out the open door with little or no heat inside and as the awning isn't insulated or draught proof the heat loss would be greater than the heat output available from the onboard heater.
Basically the heat would rise out of the doorway to be lost through the awning roof with no heat ever getting to foot level. Bit like trying to heat your home with the windows open.

Camping type gas heater (gas consumption/supply will be an issue) or an electric Ceramic one if mains available.

Back