Batteries, Earth Shunt and Solar Charger

• Thread starter Eddie&Angie Southport
  • Start date
Eddie&Angie Southport

Eddie&Angie Southport

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Huge thanks to the forum members who have taken the time and posted advice and how to guides on here, so invaluable to new members. Made sure I read a lot of posts before starting the work for any hints and tips.

Bought our 2009 SE in October and the heating wasn't working unless on hook up.
Batteries were original so changed both with the Varta LA80s. Heating still not working and lights flickering so ordered the earth shunt kit from the shop. Followed the How to Guide and heating now works brilliantly. It was fiddly disconnecting the electrical connectors and also lifting the fridge out but otherwise straight forward. If anyone is a bit worried about doing it, it really isn't worth paying to have it done. Same with the leisure batteries, just all takes a bit of patience..

We have been using a Jackery and portable Renogy solar panel for the last year or so for our tent camping off grid so when I was connecting the new battery under the front seat added a solar charge controller. We can now easily switch between solar charging the leisure batteries or the Jackery. Does mean a few wires but all attached by command strips so easily removed. Leaning the sit forward after undoing the 4 sliding rail bolts was very easy and the cables were long enough to stay connected.

Not sure who wrote the Earth Shunt guide but it was very easy to follow, thank you!

I'm female, no electrical knowledge, zero upper body strength but a fair amount of determination. Other than the fridge it was all easily manageable even manoeuvring the batteries.

Adding a few pictures just in case they are helpful

CE4BF50B-6B04-4315-AA29-5EFE15F8FC14_1_201_a.jpegFD56CD86-881C-4113-A580-1A10736B6FAF_1_201_a.jpegA43B1282-D641-47A9-B938-D86FCE896A3D_1_201_a.jpeg