Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Battery charging questions

dfps

dfps

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hello,

I need to leave my Cali parked in my garage for about 6 weeks ( maybe a little longer ).

I have some questions relating to the battery hook up being left connected whilst I am away.

1. Is it safe or wise to leave the hook up connected for this length of time ?

2. Will it damage to leisure batteries if it is left connected for this length of time ?

3. Does the hook up also charge the main vehicle battery ?

I am concerned that the main vehicle battery will drain due to car being locked an the immobiliser etc draining the battery and eventually will set of its vehicles alarms in the garage when the vehicle senses the low voltage and senses it is being stolen.( This would rightly really annoy my neighbours at 2am in the morning especially if I am not there to switch it off ).

Any advice help or suggestions please ?

Thanks

We regularly go to see our son and family in Brisbane for 6 to 8 weeks and leave ours connected to the hook up with no problem. Due to the large amount of junk i have collected our Cali won't get in the garage so it is parked outside, close to the garage door with the lead coming out under the door to the van.
It charges all the batteries ( or keeps them up to scratch and stops any battery draining). We have been doing this for about 7 years now with no damage apparent so far!
It is no different to being on plugged in on a campsite for 6 weeks really so go for it.

Hello,

I need to leave my Cali parked in my garage for about 6 weeks ( maybe a little longer ).

I have some questions relating to the battery hook up being left connected whilst I am away.

1. Is it safe or wise to leave the hook up connected for this length of time ?

2. Will it damage to leisure batteries if it is left connected for this length of time ?

3. Does the hook up also charge the main vehicle battery ?

I am concerned that the main vehicle battery will drain due to car being locked an the immobiliser etc draining the battery and eventually will set of its vehicles alarms in the garage when the vehicle senses the low voltage and senses it is being stolen.( This would rightly really annoy my neighbours at 2am in the morning especially if I am not there to switch it off ).

Any advice help or suggestions please ?

Thanks
What age, SE, Beach?
It would save a lot of guessing if you filled in your vehicle details :thumb

Just put it on hook-up 220v with a timer that sets in every week for 12 hours ....
No need to leave it plugged in the whole time , just a top-up once a while ( Once a month should be Ok but i charge mine more frequently.

I would not be sleeping well if it is plugged on 220v the whole time , so best to use a timer if nobody can check the vehicle frequently.