Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Battery discharge

H

huwj

VIP Member
The panel display shows a constant 0.2 amps discharge on the leisure battery, when the vehicle is standing with everything switched off. Does anybody know what it is that is taking this load? This leads to the battery losing a lot of charge while it is standing.

I think that is normal. It is the display / control panel itself which takes a small amount of current.

When I am bored in the van I quite often turn things on and off to make the display change - I don't think it ever goes to zero - unless you have the engine on then it goes to minus.

(I really must get out more...)

T

huwj said:
The panel display shows a constant 0.2 amps discharge on the leisure battery, when the vehicle is standing with everything switched off. Does anybody know what it is that is taking this load? This leads to the battery losing a lot of charge while it is standing.

Yup, pretty standard. Always suspected it was the camper control unit itself... 0.2a appears to be the minimum it will display so suspect it may well be lower than this and much less (if anything) when it's switched off.

M

Hi I have a 2006 California the central control panel on mine shows the same but does go to 0.0
at times then back to 0.2 I have 2 leisure batteries the one in the wardrobe unit according to handbook is only fitted if you have diesel heater I am on my third set of batteries and they are not performing as well as they did I have had them checked by V.W. and by local auto electrician both say they are excellent condition (and witnessed with my own eyes on their test equipment)but if I leave the vehicle for a few days without use central control panel says 70% then if I turn on say the heater it drops like a stone on one occasion 0v my local guy says current used by central control not enough to register so measured battery in the wardrobe it showed current being drawn sufficient to drain battery quite a bit in a few days he suggested fitting an isolating switch or disconnect battery for when vehicle standing as a postscript I am not an expert but either my vehicle has a fault? (V.W. says no fault found after 4 days of testing) or batteries do not last even though no faults show on test equipment the first 20 months all ok then performance drops off which is understandable I suppose when you think it is a chemical process after all. :headbang

caliharry said:
but if I leave the vehicle for a few days without use central control panel says 70% then if I turn on say the heater it drops like a stone on one occasion 0v . :headbang

This sound very like the characteristic "Earth Shunt" issue.

Might be worth having a look at it if you've not done so already, particularly if you've independents telling you the batteries are good. Even on a 2006, I'm surprised you've had to change them 3 times...

Rgds

M

caliharry wrote:
I am on my third set of batteries and they are not performing as well as they did I have had them checked by V.W. and by local auto electrician both say they are excellent condition (and witnessed with my own eyes on their test equipment)but if I leave the vehicle for a few days without use central control panel says 70% then if I turn on say the heater it drops like a stone on one occasion 0v my local guy says current used by central control not enough to register so measured battery in the wardrobe it showed current being drawn sufficient to drain battery quite a bit in a few days
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Johntowers wrote:
I also have a 2006 Cali, still with original leisure batteries. I repaired earth shunt myself in 2009/10. They also need to be charged on a regular basis to maintain good health.
Maybe using the van on a regular basis and covering 106,000 miles has helped

John :cool

I believe the manual says to charge from mains every month.
The alternator will not deep charge them like mains will.

The engine battery and the leisure batteries on the Cali are all lead acid type and the characteristic of these is that they must be kept fully charged all of the time if the life of them is to be a long as possible.

Due to internal resistance, all batteries will discharge over time. New batteries have the least internal resistance and so will discharge the least when left. Internal resistance increases with age due to the deterioration and crystallisation of the chemicals used and so older batteries are less able to retain a charge and therefore need to be topped up much more often.

The heater does cause a drain on the relevant leisure battery, as does staring the engine on the engine battery. In normal circumstances these batteries will cope with this provided they gets a charge soon after this discharge. Leaving a lead acid battery in a discharge condition will damage it.

If you don't drive your Cali regularly I would suggest hooking it up often to keep all of the batteries topped up and thereby retaining their life. This is not necessary if you use your Cali everyday. The alternator will keep all of the batteries fully charged.

I am not convinced that the control panel is a reliable measurement device. I would consider it just an indicator that shows if there is or is not a charge available. If worried, seek advise from a reputable auto electrician, which you have done. They will have accurate measurement facilities and hopefully lots of practical experience to guide you.

If you are not able to plug in your Cali, or use it regularly, then an isolating switch for each of the leisure batteries, as you have been advised, is a good idea.

Alan

AlanC said:
The engine battery and the leisure batteries on the Cali are all lead acid type and the characteristic of these is that they must be kept fully charged all of the time if the life of them is to be a long as possible.

Due to internal resistance, all batteries will discharge over time. New batteries have the least internal resistance and so will discharge the least when left. Internal resistance increases with age due to the deterioration and crystallisation of the chemicals used and so older batteries are less able to retain a charge and therefore need to be topped up much more often.

The heater does cause a drain on the relevant leisure battery, as does staring the engine on the engine battery. In normal circumstances these batteries will cope with this provided they gets a charge soon after this discharge. Leaving a lead acid battery in a discharge condition will damage it.

If you don't drive your Cali regularly I would suggest hooking it up often to keep all of the batteries topped up and thereby retaining their life. This is not necessary if you use your Cali everyday. The alternator will keep all of the batteries fully charged.

I am not convinced that the control panel is a reliable measurement device. I would consider it just an indicator that shows if there is or is not a charge available. If worried, seek advise from a reputable auto electrician, which you have done. They will have accurate measurement facilities and hopefully lots of practical experience to guide you.

If you are not able to plug in your Cali, or use it regularly, then an isolating switch for each of the leisure batteries, as you have been advised, is a good idea.

Alan

An excellent post Alan

John :goodone

Thank you Alan Good sound advise I am Guilty on all "Charges" excuse pun I do not drive every day and have not mains charged at least every month I think lack of use is the biggest Killer of leisure batteries. Caliharry

Hi My 2006 California also displays 0.2 with everything off except the control panel itself, when that goes off it displays 0.0 :!:

caliharry said:
Hi My 2006 California also displays 0.2 with everything off except the control panel itself, when that goes off it displays 0.0 :!:

Mine also does that & I believe it is normal.