Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach owner for 1 year right now looking for boot packing ideas

V

Vswan

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
we are a family of 4, 2 adults 2 small kids and 2 border collies. I’m looking for ways to make packing easier

we are a family of 4, 2 adults 2 small kids and 2 border collies. I’m looking for ways to make packing easier
A little more detail would help prompt some specific responses
what is the main problem, clothes, equipment, essentials, pets, sleeping, cooking, food storage, weather, etc
lots of possible scenarios and a myriad of solutions, lots of info posted on this great forum, but depends on how you use your van
if you can be a bit more specific, you’ll get more targeted responses.
pack lite travel well !
let us know a bit more?

Hey thanks for the replies, I actually found some good tips from searching the forum. The main problem is the kids bikes which are too small (14” and 16”) for the bike rack but take up a lot of space in the boot. I also hate moving the multiplex board.

The solution I have gone for this time is to put the multi board in its rear most position then put the back seats where they need to be In order to fold down to a bed. I feel this is important for my sanity as once in a campsite the last thing I want to be doing is moving seats and the board while the kids and dogs get in the way!

In the boot I have 2 really useful boxes at the back with mainly cooking kit, dog food and cables (Stuff we won’t need until pitched). These boxes are almost the same height as the multi board so I could spread the mattress out flat on top of the MF and boxes and put the awning (Kampa action air), the sleeping bags, Kamper cosi and the dogs on top of the multiboard and mattress. I should add that the mattress is wrapped in 2 waterproof covers and the dogs will wear harnesses securing them to a bungee which is hooked into the boot floor. The awning etc are all very well strapped down too. Our clothes are in packing pods which are squeezed in around the bikes and the fridge will go on the floor behind the passenger seat.

I hope this works, I packed today in preparation for leaving tomorrow...

The main problem is the kids bikes which are too small (14” and 16”) for the bike rack but take up a lot of space in the boot.

We travelled 25 thousand miles around Europe with two adult bikes, 14” and 12” children’s bikes and a double bike trailer.

The adult bikes went on rails 1 and 2. The 14” went with one wheel on rail 2 and the other wheel on rail 3. The 12” balance bike went on rail 3. The folded down trailer sat on rail 4.

Once we moved to 14” and 16” we gave up the trailer. I reversed the wheel chocks on rail 4 for the 14” to fit.

As for rear storage, I made my own plywood crates to fit between the multiflex and bench seat back and use Muji drawers for under the multiflex. We can pack all we need for two boys and our collie (we used to have two collies) under the multiflex with only mattress, bedding and drive away awning above.

I’m very satisfied with the packing setup we now have, and we have spent about 400 nights sleeping in the van over the past 3 1/2 years.

IMG_3191.JPG
Four bikes and a trailer on the rear rack - in the extreme north of Norway.

Mini blog on how I planned and made my Beach storage crates to maximise use of the boot and underbed area.

Last edited: