Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach sleep and eat

TrevorH

TrevorH

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi . My wife and I are newcomers to the camper scene and have recently had a couple of great trips with hired vehicles . We have decided on the back of this that we want to buy and are pretty clear about what is important to us , including a VW T6 based model.

However, we feel a bit exhausted after considering options . We much prefer Californias but the basic problem is that the Ocean lower bed simply isn't wide enough for us. The Beach comes to the rescue on that score but then of course there is no fitted kitchen . We have looked at after market options including slide out to rear and VanEssa internal but none seem really compelling.

For winter/ northern climes use we think basic internal provision is critical and want the neatest possible solution ( and are quite happy to pay for the privilege). Thoughts anyone?

Hi Trevor, the narrow bed in the Ocean was a factor for us as well (there were others including needing to carry more than 4 people comfortably).

We went Beach with 3 seat bench but would have gone Beach and 2 seat bench if not for the required carrying capacity.

We plan to add a pod to the passenger area later on. The rear slide pod wouldn't work for us.

My personal favourites are the Maxxcamp options. They are expensive but if cost isn't an issue, why not?

We fancy a 'Willy' (wouldn't be my choice of name) as it works in the 3 seat version...more options if you go for the 2 seat, including leaving the rear area of the bed at full width.

Loads of choice out there and quite a few people on here have self built really impressive pods. Have a search, or browse the beach section.

Hi there!

We have a 3-seat bench Beach, and cook in it all the time.... We just pop the table up, and cook on top of it with a cartridge-gas camping stove. They're very cheap these days, and the gas cartridges, are easy to handle and we find, efficient enough for our needs.

We love the big downstairs bed, especially in winter.... We also love having the full width bench-seat, to lie across, just like the sofa at home.... Water supply, is also very convenient, with just re-filling some 2l bottles to worry about. Our compressor Waeco fridge sits neatly between the two front seats also. The Beach was the right choice for us, for sure!

IMG_0582.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks Guys for your replies . We have been following up on MaxxCamp ( although apparently no UK dealers?) and also like the idea of a between the seats fridge.
Further advantage of a Beach seems to be the opportunity to have the choice in speccing these things!

Thanks Guys for your replies . We have been following up on MaxxCamp ( although apparently no UK dealers?) and also like the idea of a between the seats fridge.
Further advantage of a Beach seems to be the opportunity to have the choice in speccing these things!
What fridge model is that Jonathan? Did you do anything fancy with the electrical connection?

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

What fridge model is that Jonathan? Did you do anything fancy with the electrical connection?

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

It's a waeco / dometic CF11 - The fit is very tight, but it works. Using the handbrake requires a slight correction, but you soon get used it it. It can be lifted back, and fourth to allow front seats to swivel when required.... The top of the fridge doubles-up as a handy non-slip surface area, and we can easily step over it if/when passing from rear into the front seats.

It works great..... Would definitely buy again.... Cold beers, are a must.... We went for a while without it initially, but it's a great addition to our Beach, which we would buy again immediately.

I've just been using the standard cig-lighter connection to-date, no issues so far.... Have read other posts about hard-wiring, maybe will do that someday, but it's been working fine to-date, so haven't bothered. I have purchased a second cable, in-prep.