Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which options?

We’ve had a T6 Ocean for 4 years now and though I felt the stock van was very well equipped, I specced a number of options (some of which are now standard).
The awning is a meh item for me - kind of glad I have it, but not often used.
Towbar was a given, but has not been trouble free. I might be inclined to get the prep only next time.
We did not opt for the comfort mattress, but bought a duvalay (which didn’t do the job for us) and then a folding memory foam mattress (second hand off this forum), which is great.
I bought the extra drawer in the sliding seat, which I think is great use of space.
I thought the shower was way too expensive, so I bought the one that fits to the tap from the club shop, and find that very useful.
The electric sliding door was a definite no - fewer things to go wrong and the beep would drive me mad (I always need to get up in the night, so this would irritate the family).
I like the ACC very much (but this is now standard, I think). Not sure what I think about the lane assist - probably a useful safety feature for long journeys.
I thought the sat nav was ridiculously expensive, so opted for larger screen and CarPlay, which is awesome.
Oh, I forgot. I also specced heated windscreen. In hindsight, it’s unnecessary. If on the driveway, I can use the remote to fire up the diesel heater to clear the screen and warm the van. If camping, the van is warm enough that the screen is never iced.

We’ve had a T6 Ocean for 4 years now and though I felt the stock van was very well equipped, I specced a number of options (some of which are now standard).
The awning is a meh item for me - kind of glad I have it, but not often used.
Towbar was a given, but has not been trouble free. I might be inclined to get the prep only next time.
We did not opt for the comfort mattress, but bought a duvalay (which didn’t do the job for us) and then a folding memory foam mattress (second hand off this forum), which is great.
I bought the extra drawer in the sliding seat, which I think is great use of space.
I thought the shower was way too expensive, so I bought the one that fits to the tap from the club shop, and find that very useful.
The electric sliding door was a definite no - fewer things to go wrong and the beep would drive me mad (I always need to get up in the night, so this would irritate the family).
I like the ACC very much (but this is now standard, I think). Not sure what I think about the lane assist - probably a useful safety feature for long journeys.
I thought the sat nav was ridiculously expensive, so opted for larger screen and CarPlay, which is awesome.
Some good real world experience here, and yes the towbar preparation, about 200 pounds as a factory option, and a good safety net to have incase you want a towbar in the future (I almost went for this but in the end went for the full removable towbar we are pretty sure we will often take our bikes)

Oh, I forgot. I also specced heated windscreen. In hindsight, it’s unnecessary. If on the driveway, I can use the remote to fire up the diesel heater to clear the screen and warm the van. If camping, the van is warm enough that the screen is never iced.
I didn't spec the heated windscreen because of the same logic you used, it's reassuring to see your comment!

On a previous car I didn't order a heated steering wheel, it was summer when I ordered so totally not thinking about it, when the car was delivered December in minus degrees I felt like an idiot that my perfectly specced car was missing this. Quoted 2k to add it retrospectively (so that didn't happen), my wife bought me driving gloves (made me laugh, but never used), and we really did miss the function!

I'm trying to avoid the same "tiny but useful" missing option this time which is why I invest so much time researching the spec and totally understand all the questions and anguish!

Anyway heated steering wheel isn't an option so I don't feel I'm missing out! Strange how the brain works... *Puzzled face emoji*

Some good real world experience here, and yes the towbar preparation, about 200 pounds as a factory option, and a good safety net to have incase you want a towbar in the future (I almost went for this but in the end went for the full removable towbar we are pretty sure we will often take our bikes)
We find heated windscreen handy: even now in less than perfect summer weather, we wake up with a lot of condensation on the windscreen. Heated windscreen helps remove the condensation quickly before setting off.

Not sure however why we have so much condensation…

We find heated windscreen handy: even now in less than perfect summer weather, we wake up with a lot of condensation on the windscreen. Heated windscreen helps remove the condensation quickly before setting off.

We get loads of condensation on occasions. Just mop up with a special absorbent cloth bought from the club shop a few years ago.
The amount of condensation obviously depends on the number of people breathing, the amount of ventilation, and the outside ambient air temperature.

Do you have the windows open a bit? I hear that's the advice, no matter what the temperature in or out

Do you have the windows open a bit? I hear that's the advice, no matter what the temperature in or out
Add some cheap wind deflectors so you can crack both front windows open an inch, or two without the fear of rain ingress. That will aid ventilation considerably and help with the moisture exhaled by the vehicle occupants.

The safe was a total waste of money, don’t bother.

And after purchase I would add the the aftermarket bin (sounds totally pointless but it’s really great) and Isotop inner liner for upstairs.

Arm full of shopping coming back from the supermarket, briefcase on the way to work, click -open, what’s not to like?

Can you set the lane-keeping to default off? I only ask because I have a Toyota that has lane assist, which defaults to 'on' whenever the car is started. Complete PITA on smaller roads so I have to remember to switch it off whenever I re-start the engine. Stupid.
Realise this is an old post, but, the default for this on the 6.1 Cali is “off” and you select “on“ when needed. Like you, in another car I have (Volvo) the default is “on” but this suits most of my local journeys here. It would suit in deepest Cornwall say.

Realise this is an old post, but, the default for this on the 6.1 Cali is “off” and you select “on“ when needed. Like you, in another car I have (Volvo) the default is “on” but this suits most of my local journeys here. It would suit in deepest Cornwall say.
Yes in deepest Devon and Cornwall, "lane assist" isn't necessary, you just rely on bouncing back off the hedges. :Grin

Yes in deepest Devon and Cornwall, "lane assist" isn't necessary, you just rely on bouncing back off the hedges. :Grin
I’m going to ‘correct’ my last advice, to “don’t know if it’s default is on or off”. For the last few days when on m’ways etc I’ve needed to select the active lane assist to “on”. Checked on the drive this morning, and it’s remained “on”?! I hooked up a Carista module to see if you can set one way or the other, and no you can’t get at this function. I will monitor over the coming days. The thing is, when driving it’s not immediately obvious.

One of the ,most important options you can spec In The U.K. is the 5 year warranty (3 year standard + 2 extra years Factory warranty)
this needs to be purchased within 3 months of the vehicle being registered.

My number one top tip would be to make this part of the Deal when buying new, it is priceless.

the warranty stay with the Van if you sell it so it is very useful for peace of mind (Cali‘s do have issues as with all vehicles)

Last edited:
Or granite walls!
I’m going to ‘correct’ my last advice, to “don’t know if it’s default is on or off”. For the last few days when on m’ways etc I’ve needed to select the active lane assist to “on”. Checked on the drive this morning, and it’s remained “on”?! I hooked up a Carista module to see if you can set one way or the other, and no you can’t get at this function. I will monitor over the coming days. The thing is, when driving it’s not immediately obvious.
So from today‘s trips, I believe the default is probably for lane keeping to be “on” as this happened on 3 new journeys. This looks like the normal setting for VW vehicles. However during the past week it’s not been consistent, when it appeared to reset “off” after being set “on” in the prior trips. Hard to figure out what’s happening!

Back