GrannyJen

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Nothing Cali related.

Gutted.

Sick as a parrot.

10 days to go and had to withdraw from the London Marathon. 4 mile run last night and a wrongly placed foot aggravated a long term heel problem. Big big ouch moment and an even bigger unprintable expletive moment.

Totally gutted. :sad

Nothing Cali related.

Gutted.

Sick as a parrot.

10 days to go and had to withdraw from the London Marathon. 4 mile run last night and a wrongly placed foot aggravated a long term heel problem. Big big ouch moment and an even bigger unprintable expletive moment.

Totally gutted. :sad
Ahhhh damn that's real bad luck :(

I feel your pain, GrannyJen. Had big ambitions for some fell races and mountain marathons this year, and all was going so well. Then at the end of a run over the moors, I trip over a kerb right near my house and land on some tactile paving (the stuff on the floor for blind people to assist them with knowing where the crossing is). A deep tissue and bone massage was received to both knees, an elbow and a hip. Two months ago now, and still not right!

Why do I talk about myself? Because it sucks, but there's always other things to enjoy and it's made me realise I was a bit too reliant on one hobby, and starting to define myself by that alone. Also, it's been fun to increase my beer intake.

Fingers crossed for a miraculous turnaround in the next week (you'd have been tapering anyway!) or a chance to run the route, or an even better route/event (!), in the next few months...

Sorry to hear that GJ, after all the prep you've put into it I can see how gutting it must be

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I feel your pain, GrannyJen. Had big ambitions for some fell races and mountain marathons this year, and all was going so well. Then at the end of a run over the moors, I trip over a kerb right near my house and land on some tactile paving (the stuff on the floor for blind people to assist them with knowing where the crossing is). A deep tissue and bone massage was received to both knees, an elbow and a hip. Two months ago now, and still not right!

Why do I talk about myself? Because it sucks, but there's always other things to enjoy and it's made me realise I was a bit too reliant on one hobby, and starting to define myself by that alone. Also, it's been fun to increase my beer intake.

Fingers crossed for a miraculous turnaround in the next week (you'd have been tapering anyway!) or a chance to run the route, or an even better route/event (!), in the next few months...

Thank you :)

I keep telling myself that I broke a 5th Metatarsal before last years marathon and lots of tape and biofreeze got me round. However I can't even hobble with this heel :sad Back to the orthopaedic surgeon on the 26th. I delayed surgery until after London but now ASAP. After all, there is 2019 only 376 days away :D

Sorry to hear that GJ, after all the prep you've put into it I can see how gutting it must be

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yep. My focussed training began last November :(

Never mind. Onwards and upwards. At least I can pile into my Sister's stash of choccie biccies now that I am no longer worried about keeping to my running weight :D

I injured my foot in December & am still not back to running yet. But I was out in the van today, thinking, I'm really happy I don't have to run the Brighton marathon tomorrow morning! Easy to get lazy. Hope you are sorted soon.

Hey, that sucks. I know a personal goal missed is a real downer especially when you have done everything to schedule. Next year perhaps?
Farl

I injured my foot in December & am still not back to running yet. But I was out in the van today, thinking, I'm really happy I don't have to run the Brighton marathon tomorrow morning! Easy to get lazy. Hope you are sorted soon.

I've just been out for "Brunch" with my Sister, thinking "I shouldn't be eating this" and "I need to get a 5k in before Tuesday"..... then had the most delightful lightbulb moment when I realised that now I can just chill.

Silver linings indeed :D

Hey, that sucks. I know a personal goal missed is a real downer especially when you have done everything to schedule. Next year perhaps?
Farl

One of those things but **it happens.

Yes, next year, I have deferred my place. In fact my big cheer-up mechanism is to tell my self that I'm now in training for 2019!

I am booked into a further 3 half-marathons this year so hoping the orthopaedic man will confirm that it's not too serious.

One of those things but **it happens.

Yes, next year, I have deferred my place. In fact my big cheer-up mechanism is to tell my self that I'm now in training for 2019!

I am booked into a further 3 half-marathons this year so hoping the orthopaedic man will confirm that it's not too serious.

Having no idea how much support you have with your running I am hesitant to offer advice, but on the basis that it may just help, here goes.

Heel and knee injuries along with many others can be caused by the wrong mechanics. No amount of physio, stretching etc will help if you are covering many miles with poor mechanics. Very few are lucky enough and strong enough to run correctly, without some coaching.

It is a misconception that running is a natural action. It was more natural but has been lost by modern lifestyles not helped by poor footwear engineered to mitigate poor mechanics (think big padded air soles).

Somehow most people think it’s fine to have golf lessons or tennis lessons etc but rarely do they have lessons on how to run. There just seems to be an attitude that it only requires determination. It helps but wrong.

Firstly, you need to be fit to run, not to get fit by running. Yes you might get there but it’s less likely and will probably mean a catalogue of injuries and disappointment, most will give up.

Good mechanics are the consequence of good posture which requires strength in the right areas and visualisation.

If you or anyone reading this has the right mechanics naturally then congratulations and well done, you are in the minority. If not and you have injury issues then consider a change.

There are dangers, incorrect changes or changing too fast can cause problems, better I think than continuing with poor mechanics but still an issue.

You may believe that there are many different styles, shapes and sizes and therefore mechanics but good runners will have the same fundaments. 20 years ago with the aid of the internet/HD video and an enlightened bulletin board I changed my mechanics. It was not easy as I was in my late 40’s but It did work.

I’m more than happy to have a healthy debate on the subject at any meets, over a beer or red wine.

Mike

Thank you Mike,

Very appreciated. This is a spasm-type injury. Two 16 milers and a 20 miler without incident, although it did take me 3 months to reduce plantar bursitis last summer. A steady run with the 1/2 marathon distance around 10 minutes slower than it would be for a Half marathon event, basically around my normal marathon pace. Then shortly after the 13.1 the inside of my left heel seemed to spasm which then radiated out across the whole heel area. The last 6 miles or so were a painful hobble.

10 days rest, a taper run, a step off the kerb running through Asda's superstore carpark at Newport and my foot strike ( I am a mid-foot striker) on my trailing foot caused a little wobble and I just felt the same spasm.

Except for last year, when I run London with a broken 5th Metatarsal, I prefer DNS to DNF :sad Running, not finishing, and buggering oneself up for the next 12 weeks is not a good idea.

I have the great peace half in Ypres coming up shortly so quite anxious to see the orthopaedic man on the 26th.

Good to hear you are mid foot striker, prefer fore foot but heel runners tend to over stride and therefore drive body weight into an extended knee rather than landing in the centre of gravity, COG.

Definitely better to be DNS than a DNF.

Good luck.

In depth discussion required over red wine.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Overstriding at my age???:shocked

My p.trainer breathes a sigh of relief if one foot lands in front of the other:D I do, now, tend to have quite a short stride length.

I have been remarkably injury free for the last two years considering the mileage, my toe last year was down to a clumsy accident. I have been wearing stability shoes instead of my normal neutral shoe, and had been for the last 90 miles, a suggestion by the podiatrist who treated me for Plantar Bursitis last summer. I now have a question mark on that and now, literally now, just popping out for a short jog on a Cotswold forest trail wearing a pair of Brooks Ghost, my old favourites.

Enjoy your run.

I’m an Innov8 man. I once commented on the number of shoes Jane had. Big mistake as she started handing me my running shoes.

Stride length is one of the mechanical fundamentals.

Bottom line is that the speed you cover a given distance is multiple of steps per minute x length of stride. Often what I see in over striders is a desire to stretch out but at the expense of a slow stride rate.

Good runners maintain a high stride rate and the speed increases with the length.

A good test is on a running machine, set to about 1.5 degrees to better simulate proper running. Aim for at least 180 per minute.

It’s been a while but I recall counting Haile Gebrselassie when he ran in Berlin and he was around 210 per minute. With enormous strides, his feet landing beneath him and snaking out behind with no horizontal movement of his head. He was though running a 2.04 marathon. Phenomenal!

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

One of the exhibits at last years VMLM expo was "match your stride length with Paula Radcliffe's".

I struggled to long jump it :D

My average spm for a 1/2 is a leisurely 150 , max 180 but then I'm just an old plodder.

Last edited:
One of the exhibits at last years VMLM expo was "match your stride length with Paula Radcliffe's".

I struggled to long jump it

I can believe it.

She is a good example. Someone far more technical than I once used her as an example as it was pointed out that she had an odd style. She did have some issues (bobbing head) I think it was but poor mechanics wasn’t one of them.

Edited

Mike

Back