Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Belgium

F

Flood51

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
My brother and I had planned on attending the Somme 100th anniversary on 1st July and visiting the graves of three great uncles. However bro has had a recent health problem and since the Somme anniversary was mainly his idea plus I would prefer not to get stuck in France with an empty tank on my first Cali trip to Europe I am thinking of turning left at Dunkirk and heading into Belgium. But apart from Brussels, Antwerp and Bruges I have no knowledge of the country or where to go. Got about a week. Any ideas before I cancel the French campsite ?

Last edited:
Liege.

The Ardenne.

Liege is a hugely historical fortress city and possibly the one place more than any other where the Von Schliefen plan was delayed sufficiently for it to be subsequently undone. It is a bit metropolitan but still worth a visit.

The Ardenne is streams, rivers and woods, rolling hillside, narrow roads and tracts and, of course, history. Franco - Prussian, WW1 and WW2 significantly.

I will be in Albert on July 1st so hope that your fears about French fuel supply prove groundless :(

1 july is a long way ahead, the strikes and blokking of the oilcompany's are already now over....read the thread on it.
So think your planned trip would be no problem , even if you could drive acrros the border to fill up as you will be near it.
But if you planning to visit Belgium , there are not that many places to freecamp or camperspots. You need to look out for campsites if you want facilitys and hook-up.
The big city's as you say , use parkings and public service like metro in Brussel
Antwerp and Brugges by foot.
Antwerp got two campsites , one on the other side of the river "Schelde" walk thru a tunnel and arrive at the ancient city and cathedral.
Other campsite is bit further and need bikes or tram/ metro in to town
The Ardennes got lots of campsites and some camperspots
Beware school holliday starts a 1 july over here..
Edit : at work /lunchbreak , if you do dicide to visit Belgium , let me know , i will give some links and tips when on my I-pad at home

Last edited:
1 july is a long way ahead, the strikes and blokking of the oilcompany's are already now over....read the thread on it.
So think your planned trip would be no problem , even if you could drive acrros the border to fill up as you will be near it.

HC your logic is compelling, i didn't realise the strike was coming to an end. I will continue to Albert for 1st July as I have a pass for the ceremony, but I think some day trips into Ardenne would be good.

Phil

Second trip now planned, to Bruges. Since we are now faced with the £=peso to euro exchange rate my trip has changed from buying cheap booze to possibly selling cheap booze plus a cultural exchange of course. HC where does one shop in Belguim on a budget ? I am talking specifically about Belgium beer, ie Leffe.

Hellow, are you staying at campsite Memling? Then the carrefour (about 5 min. walk from the campsite) is a cheap one for beer. For all the rest: aldi & lidl ;), they are along the 'Maalse Steenweg' (straight road to town from the campsite).
Greetings
Calibusje
Bruges

Think @calibusje gave you great tips, he lives in Bruges .
And i gonne give you a intel about myself: i don't like beer so never drink it and therefore do not have any clue on prices....
Have fun in Belgium, when is your trip planned?

Ferry to Dunkirk on 12th July returning on the 15th. I have a free pass from my wife, a school teacher, so going with male friend so it will be a bit like the TV programme "Last of the Summer Wine". We are staying at Memling with bikes to tour the beautiful city of Bruges. Really looking forward to it.

Back