Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Best Carbon Monoxide detector and where to mount...

bxl_lad

bxl_lad

Its not easy being green...
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi,
Thinking of getting a CO detector for the van, any recommendations and also where best to mount it?
Are there specific versions for campervans, wired/battery...

Cheers

We bought a combined Carbon Monoxide and smoke detector and mounted on the roof at the back of the van. It’s loud so will proberbly scare the c**p out of us if it were ever to go off.

Last edited:
I think we got it at a home improvement /DIY store7BB3D09D-1237-42EA-A929-A88B770A2EA5.jpeg

It would be good if that seller correctly labelled the Monitor.

Carbon Monoxide = CO. Carbon Dioxide = CO2.
just put on to show a photo mainly.

common problem with advertisers in that the description needs reading to check before any purchase.

It would be good if that seller correctly labelled the Monitor.

Carbon Monoxide = CO. Carbon Dioxide = CO2.
Just updated my post to Carbon Monoxide.

Thanks all...
Have gone with this one (packaging also shows its suitable for motorhomes/caravans):

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00AFRV1OC/

So general consensus is mount it highand towards the back of the van?
Was thinking on the B pillar on the kitchen side to be above the night heater vent, but maybe thats too close to the vent?

Thanks all...
Have gone with this one (packaging also shows its suitable for motorhomes/caravans):

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00AFRV1OC/

So general consensus is mount it highand towards the back of the van?
Was thinking on the B pillar on the kitchen side to be above the night heater vent, but maybe thats too close to the vent?
Its the cooker that will be more likely to produce CO, not the Parking Heater.

Its the cooker that will be more likely to produce CO, not the Parking Heater.
But isn't it pointless? who would have a flame on while going to bed? Or even assuming we cook inside for dinner, don't open any door/window for a couple of hours before going to bed.... I think the result of less oxygen would be maybe a headache in the morning, but I struggle to believe the CO2 will be high enough to trigger the alarm.

My concern was not firstly with the cooker - where indeed you tend to introduce the ventilation required when using it, but more to do with the night heater.
Maybe my understanding of the night heater is not great and maybe as @WelshGas suggests, CO (carbon monoxide we're talking about here) is not an issue... But if there is a chance that CO can be produced when using the night heater, then I don't see it as pointless to have a detector for it...

But of course if anyone has any science behind the process to share, then its good to know ;)
That said, for the sake of 20€ I can't see the harm in having a detector for something so deadly...

My concern was not firstly with the cooker - where indeed you tend to introduce the ventilation required when using it, but more to do with the night heater.
Maybe my understanding of the night heater is not great and maybe as @WelshGas suggests, CO (carbon monoxide we're talking about here) is not an issue... But if there is a chance that CO can be produced when using the night heater, then I don't see it as pointless to have a detector for it...

But of course if anyone has any science behind the process to share, then its good to know ;)
That said, for the sake of 20€ I can't see the harm in having a detector for something so deadly...
Many fit them for peace of mind, but in practice it is not required. VW don't fit them .

CO meter should be at breathing height and not mounted on a ceiling and not too close to a stove or your leisure battery (about a meter away).

In practice I move mine around in the Cali, in my old T25 its mounted opposite side to the cooker and away from the leisure battery (hydrogen from the batteries can set them off).

There is only a single seal between the burn chamber and the heater so although unlikely to fail cant hurt to have an alarm.

Back