Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Carbon monoxide / dioxide detector

acer

acer

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I was just about to buy one of the (Fireangel) carbon monoxide detectors that have recommended on here. I wondered if I should be concerned to get a carbon dioxide detector too? Or, perhaps find a gadget that does both? There will be four of us in Potter. Am I worrying unduly?

I don't think you need a CO2 detector. As far as I'm aware, the only uses of these would be for areas such as pub cellars etc where co2 is stored and could potentially leak.

You should always have some ventilation when sleeping, if only to reduce condensation. If roof is up then you have ventilation grills present, even with a Topper on as well. They should not be covered. If roof down then you can leave one of the front windows open 1cm or so. If you have wind deflectors then they cover the gap or use the Brandrup window vents - but expensive but do the job without compromising security, good for hotter climates.

You should always have some ventilation when sleeping, if only to reduce condensation. If roof is up then you have ventilation grills present, even with a Topper on as well. They should not be covered. If roof down then you can leave one of the front windows open 1cm or so. If you have wind deflectors then they cover the gap or use the Brandrup window vents - but expensive but do the job without compromising security, good for hotter climates.
I've got the wind deflectors as you (I think) recommended. No problem, to leaving window open slightly. Has also got me thinking about how many people leave their side windows open (perhaps on the minimum setting). We've Scotland soon, so perhaps not an immediate concern, but we'll be off to the south of France before long and I can see it getting stuffy.

Fire angels are an essential. If you search the forums I posted just a couple of links to reports that sadly happen every year. Campers being overcome with CO.

It is unlikely that either the heater or gas burners will malfunction on a newish van, and of course you would not dream of using a BBQ or similar in the van or awning, but you only need one malfunction, just one, and then you won't be able to pat yourself on the back for having saved the price of 3 or 4 pints of beer.

They take up next to nothing room, no weight in them, batteries last seven years, cost around £22 and can save a life or two ... a no brainer.

Message deleted.

It was a load of twaddle that had already been posted.

Goodness, how I wish I would follow my own advice ... "Read the question, then read again" ...:eek:

Fireangels are a no brainer. I don't see the need for much else other than WG states, leave some ventilation somewhere.

My solution, combined smoke and Carbon Monoxide alarm under visor when sleeping, simples.

IMG_0919.JPG

Back