Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Best way to route cable from dash to tail gate ?

Westie82

Westie82

VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hey Guys,

Undertaking another Sunday project, installing a reversing kit.

I have everything working and wired up except that I want to mount the reversing indicator to the top left dash blank and have the wire hidden.

Before I start ripping the interior to bits what is the simplest and easiest route from the dash to the rear cluster? I've removed the screw to the top of the door trim but can't get the trim to budge , do I have to remove the dash ? :eek:

DSCF1527.JPG

mount.jpg

Last edited:
You don't need to remove the dash, however if you can remove the speaker in the top of the dash it will help. Pop of the cover with a small screw driver and then under the couple of screws holding the speaker in. You will see the end of the trim locates over a peg. You don't have to do this to remove it, but it gives you a clearer idea about how it removes and I did find it invaluable for rebuilding.

I seem to recall that you also need to remove the other piece of trim above the door, and this removes by undoing the handle. Hopefully that helps a bit. I haven't got the van here at the moment so I can't check on mine, but If I remember anymore I'll pop it up here.

Why do Sunday projects always take longer than one Sunday? My last one took two months :eek:

Anyway, that section is a bit of jigsaw puzzle :)

All the cables going forward go over the driver's door.

If I remember correctly, to remove that section, in addition to the screws that Chris has mentioned - you'll need to remove the top of the B pillar cover. To remove that, you'll need to remove the lower B pillar cover (which you were going to do anyway?).

To get cabling from the back to the front... The standard wiring goes behind the fridge and cupboards. When I put a new heater in I struggled to get any new wiring to follow that path. Instead, the route I took was from the battery box, behind the fridge, up the C pillar and across the top. It's a bit of a bugger to get the cover off the C pillar.

Good luck!
dan

Thanks for the heads up, managed to get the pillar cover off with some pulling and gently twisting whilst trying not to snap anything, any how popped out so all is good. Undone all the screws along the top gutting by the roof so that's now loose and going to run the following cables along it from front to back .....

1. Parking sensor indicator wire
2. AV cable for reversing camera
3. 4 x lengths of 16 AWG (for any future projects)

At least that way I can have everything in place and have a bit of future proofing for any projects down the line.

Dan, this started out as Sunday project but now I doubt it will be all back together until this weekend, just waiting on number plate surround with in built reversing camera.

Will post some photos once it's all done.

Back