Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

BETTER BEACH

Auberg-ine

Auberg-ine

Is it an office? Is it a lounge? Is it a camper?
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
To be clear, I'm very happy with my Ocean, but if ever I would receive a Beach, this would be my wish list:

- an electric platform (with 800km range, 2024?)
- for 6 persons
- upper bed for 2 adults/ lower for 4 kids or 2 adults
- the possibility to put 2 Ahooga Modular hybrid bikes inside, without having to dismount them
- no need to reverse the driver seat
- a better position at the table
- modular pods (kitchen, foldable toilet, fridge, storage) which can also be stacked at the boot
- a rail system to allow the small pods to be slid out till under the open tailgate in summer
- a roller blind to close off the boot ('bathroom' in use)
- a roller mosquito net system for the sliding door and boot.
- roof covered with 3 solar panels feeding a 1000W inverter (microwave)

Therefore I would need
- floor rails that run from the boot door to the pilot chairs and quick-release system to turn the benches and move the pods.
- 2x 2-person benches; if you don't want to swivel the front seats, go for a LWB.
- custom-made pods consisting of 2 stacked boxes each (one till drawer height, and one till under the window)
- ideally, a reversed roof (to give height at the toilet-with-sink pod) and an opening window in the back door.

Better Beach Benches.jpg

Two pods are thinner than the others, to be able to slide out; at the back of them you have the comfort mattress. These thinner pods are also needed at the front in case the first bench would be reversed to create a diner, with the door table in the middle, and the pilot seats in driving position. The pods could also be used as tables themselves.
One could also reverse the second bench and have these tables in front of the open boot, like sitting at the porch. Or have both benches touch each other in straight position to make a kind of loungy sofa
The roller blind is used in stealth position, or for when the shower tent is installed at the open tailgate, or for when cooking outdoors.
The pods serve as decent armrests. The advanced position of the front bench makes that one can use the window recess at the sliding door as an armrest as well.
There's no need for a multi-flex board. No need for slide-out boot storage (with the 2 drawers under the benches).
With the front chairs reversed one could advance the comfort mattress and keep the second bench up, allowing more storage behind it.
The bikes can be entered with the pods placed between or behind the benches.

Copyright @Auberg-ine. But If VW would read this, I'm satisfied with an old Beach to make a mock-up, as compensation. ;-)

Last edited:
( Could somebody with some structural insight in a T6 tell me if theoretically the rails could be prolonged till the chairs, and till the tailgate? Or could there be some important obstruction? )

Last edited:
the outside rails on my T5 stop about 15cm from the tailgate. The inside rails stop about 30cm away. If i remember correctly the rear bench is fixed only on the outer rails, it runs along the inside rails with wheels. this is the only photo i could find of it.

1F514044-2EBB-402D-98EB-07CCFF047342.jpeg

Wow! A brave man to drive with a lump like that in the back with no bulkhead!

( Could somebody with some structural insight in a T6 tell me if theoretically the rails could be prolonged till the chairs, and till the boot door? Or could there be some important obstruction? )
Take a close look at the T7 with its new rail/seat system. From the pics in the VW glossy you should be able to position the seats at the back of the bus, so I would think that the rails must go all the way back. At any rate, this is the model you should be using as a base for your ideas.

Take a close look at the T7 with its new rail/seat system. From the pics in the VW glossy you should be able to position the seats at the back of the bus, so I would think that the rails must go all the way back. At any rate, this is the model you should be using as a base for your ideas.
Indeed. And if the new benches would be symmetrically positioned at the rails, then reversing would be even easier (no need for moving the thinner pods). Looks promising. But then again, I would not get a T7 offered, would I? ;-)

Last edited:
To be clear, I'm very happy with my Ocean, but if ever I would receive a Beach, this would be my wish list:

- an electric platform (with 800km range, 2024?)
- for 6 persons
- upper bed for 2 adults/ lower for 4 kids or 2 adults
- the possibility to put 2 Ahooga Modular hybrid bikes inside, without having to dismount them
- no need to reverse the driver seat
- a better position at the table
- modular pods (kitchen, foldable toilet, fridge, storage) which can also be stacked at the boot
- a rail system to allow the small pods to be slid out till under the open tailgate in summer
- a roller blind to close off the boot ('bathroom' in use)
- a roller mosquito net system for the sliding door and boot.
- roof covered with 3 solar panels feeding a 1000W inverter (microwave)

Therefore I would need
- floor rails that run from the boot door to the pilot chairs and quick-release system to turn the benches and move the pods.
- 2x 2-person benches; if you don't want to swivel the front seats, go for a LWB.
- custom-made pods consisting of 2 stacked boxes each (one till drawer height, and one till under the window)
- ideally, a reversed roof (to give height at the toilet-with-sink pod) and an opening window in the back door.

View attachment 84674

Two pods are thinner than the others, to be able to slide out; at the back of them you have the comfort mattress. These thinner pods are also needed at the front in case the first bench would be reversed to create a diner, with the door table in the middle, and the pilot seats in driving position. The pods could also be used as tables themselves.
One could also reverse the second bench and have these tables in front of the open boot, like sitting at the porch. Or have both benches touch each other in straight position to make a kind of loungy sofa
The roller blind is used in stealth position, or for when the shower tent is installed at the open tailgate, or for when cooking outdoors.
The pods serve as decent armrests. The advanced position of the front bench makes that one can use the window recess at the sliding door as an armrest as well.
There's no need for a multi-flex board. No need for slide-out boot storage (with the 2 drawers under the benches).
With the front chairs reversed one could advance the comfort mattress and keep the second bench up, allowing more storage behind it.
The bikes can be entered with the pods placed between or behind the benches.

Copyright @Auberg-ine. But If VW would read this, I'm satisfied with an old Beach to make a mock-up, as compensation. ;-)
Some time ago I posted a similar thread also proposing that VW should design a California with a pic n mix modular interior. No more Ocean/Coast/Beach but just a well specced base California vehicle that you could add to with various modules or seats. A good design would allow multiple configurations to suit any number of personal needs. You wouldn't need to be stuck with a purpose built camper for the other fifty weeks of the year. VW might even make a nice little side business by hiring out the various modules thereby saving owners the trouble of storing them when not in use.

Unfortunately, the idea wasn't well received. From memory comments included doubts about rattles, trim fit and the fact that VW would never go for such a big design change preferring to make change in small increments.

Personally, the current California range has served well over the years but I would like to see something of this nature being tried out, not necessarily by VW.

Some time ago I posted a similar thread also proposing that VW should design a California with a pic n mix modular interior. No more Ocean/Coast/Beach but just a well specced base California vehicle that you could add to with various modules or seats. A good design would allow multiple configurations to suit any number of personal needs. You wouldn't need to be stuck with a purpose built camper for the other fifty weeks of the year. VW might even make a nice little side business by hiring out the various modules thereby saving owners the trouble of storing them when not in use.

Unfortunately, the idea wasn't well received. From memory comments included doubts about rattles, trim fit and the fact that VW would never go for such a big design change preferring to make change in small increments.

Personally, the current California range has served well over the years but I would like to see something of this nature being tried out, not necessarily by VW.
Even if a theoretical exercise, I wasn't really counting on VW design changes. They stopped being inventive some models ago. Just look at what the SpaceCamper guys are doing (unfortunate for an even higher price).
So the proposal is based on the existing Beach and its benches, and the extra 'pods' are just added boxes that can easily be fixed (e.g. at the middle rail) and padded to avoid rattling. Nothing complicated. The key would be to have the bench touching the front seats, to free enough space for a sanitary cell at the boot, while having a second bench in, with all these different combination and rotation possibilities.

Back