Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

BEWARE: Cussons Carex hand soap can damage your sink.

s2bear

s2bear

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Posting this so hopefully no one makes the same mistake that I have.

I stored my Slidepod in December and in the sink I left a dry pair of gloves, a dry sponge, bottle of w/u liquid (closed) and a Carex soap dispenser (closed). The Carex leaked into the sink and it’s eaten into the stainless steel. I am just a bit gutted.

Anyway, the message is, keep Carex away from prolonged contact with ANY stainless steel things (it’s not specific to Slidepods, Dometic etc. Just ANY S/S) I believe it does mention this in the small print and I was careful to make sure everything was dry but the dispenser leaked

a75458dac0ca0554f27d39dd00bf15ba.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks like it would come off with a green scourer

Sadly not, it’s pitted/concave so it’s eaten into the steel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If these marks are not too deep you could try polishing them out. Start with 120 grit wet and dry (wet) on a rubber pad or even better, if you have access to a small random orbit sander use that dry with 150 grit. Once the mark is almost gone move to a finer grit 240 for instance then get some polishing compound to finish off. Worth trying a small area first but as long as the mark is not too deep and the steel not too thin you should get an acceptable finish.

If it does this much damage to a sink what will it do to skin?

Sadly not, it’s pitted/concave so it’s eaten into the steel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Are you going to do anything to it?
You could fill it and smooth off and then paint with an enamel paint as used to restore old baths.

Are you going to do anything to it?
You could fill it and smooth off and then paint with an enamel paint as used to restore old baths.
Thanks - I think I’ll just see how much it annoys me (probably quite a bit) then replace the sink/hob unit. Enamel painting isn’t a bad idea but I’m not sure how that would look in keeping with the pod - love the stainless. I may try @Keith Smith ’s idea first to see if I can get it looking maybe 80%