Beware of contactless pay in France

Skylark2.0

Skylark2.0

The adventure with Starlight Expess begins
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Himself always likes to try new gadgets.

On our recent trip he used the contactless debit card on a coffee machine.
1.34 euro for the coffee, £1.25 minimum charge for each transaction!

Credit card exchange rates are very good and no minimum charge for use.
Beware!

Just glad he found this game on the way back!

:shocked:shocked:shocked :rage:punch:punch :rage:rage:rage :mute:mute:mute :headbang

Beware!

:shocked:shocked:shocked :rage:punch:punch :rage:rage:rage :mute:mute:mute :headbang
Bit of a school boy error.

Beware!

Bit of a school boy error.

It's the mighty ville I'm afraid:( and you?

Timber Towns not far from us. We'll have to meet up sometime.

I don't believe there is a minimum spend on contactless, however it could be your bank overseas charges on this transaction.

Who do you bank with, what card was it?

I don't believe there is a minimum spend on contactless, however it could be your bank overseas charges on this transaction.

Santander debit card.

I think that is the exchange rate fee
I use Santander in uk, but, on advice from money saving expert, use a saga platinum credit card abroad, you get no fee, and just the visa conversion rate, which is better than any money exchange rate you will get.
They also advise , always pay in euros , as shops won't give a good rate of exchange

Does saga platinum have a monthly charge?

As we get further into retirement and away from corporate cards, I've just opened a Nationwide account to avoid the charges when withdrawing cash. Wonder how the exchange rates compare with the saga platinum? An interweb session beckons.....

Our HSBC Debit card was great. Excellent exchange rate and minimal fees and charges. It turned out to be more reliable than our Euro card.

Santander charge £1.25 for debit use. I think they may have a loading fee on top too.
Nationwide are no longer free with regards to cashpoint cash withdrawals.
The best out there at the moment are:

Post office for purchases only...!!!
Metro bank for free cash withdrawals :thumb

Hi Bramco,
No monthly fee for the Saga card, and no charges great for purchased BUT not for cash withdrawals
When I researched last summer, couldn't find any cards that give free cash withdrawal , so I take a bit of cash and try and use the card as much as possible

I must look at Metro Bank , thanks soulstyle

Damn! I opened the Nationwide account because of the free cash withdrawals abroad. See now it's only for the £10 monthly version of the flex account. Although this does give you free European breakdown and travel insurance, so depending on the age of the Cali and whether you still have the VW breakdown then it's either worth it or not.

Should have checked before I opened the account. Back to the trusty Coop account I opened 40 years ago!!

The Saga card sounds interesting though, I guess depending on whether you're a cash or credit user. On the last couple of trips we've tended to use cash. And certainly outside the Euro zone we've had much better exchange rates from local money places than we'd get with a credit or debit card.

I guess for most things it's a bit swings and roundabouts except NEVER use the exchange kiosks in UK airports. There ought to be a law restricting the ranges they can use - unbelievable rip off merchants.

Have a look at the Halifax Clarity card. No fees or rate loading for purchases or cash withdrawals!

No minimum spend but probably a minimum charge.

Nat West do a Rewards CC that has no charges for foreign transactions but it does have an annual fee.

Santander credit card has no fee for using abroad.
The debit card is fine too. It's just the contactless thingy that has a minimum charge.

Santander credit card has no fee for using abroad.
The debit card is fine too.

Disagree, when i draw money out on a weekly basis to top up my french credit agricole account i get charged a transaction fee, same for buying goods with debit card.

John

Back