Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beware travelling Portsmouth to Caen Route

Quite a torrid thread on another forum at present about Riva Bella campsite in Ouistreham being targeted by those wanting a lift to England, and also living in the woods by the fence.

Personally my last experience of camping at Ouistreham had me shaking my head and muttering "never again" but nothing to do with refugees.

What a sorry state this world is in when people are driven to such levels of desperation.

It was bad when we came back in June and looks like it is even worse now, we used to stop in Ouistreham for a walk and grab some lunch but I would not want to leave the van unattended now

https://www.rha.uk.net/news/press-r...aos-in-caen-–-the-authorities-must-get-a-grip

We came back just over a fortnight ago from Caen. Stayed at Riva Bella for the night - never again. Quite intimidating with groups at the main entrance, site has potential, but you just didn’t feel like leaving your van alone. Vans were all given a number of checks at the port.
I like the sailing but won’t rush to sail from there in the future.

We came back via Caen in July and it was very bad then, whilst queuing we had micrants banging on our windows, there was no police or security around. We were due to do the same journey in October but have changed to Le Havre.

Came back to UK this route last Wednesday, although lots of undesirables around mostly young, we had no problems.
Plenty of French police and customs officers about.

We went out on that route at the end of August and there is now high fencing being reinstalled round the port perimiter. No one approached us, but then we were going the wrong way, but groups of young migrants were hanging around the port entrance.

It was only a matter of time for them to move down the coast from Calais and I am surprised the port authorities at Ouisterham didn't make the port perimeter more secure much sooner.

Alan

Back