Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bicycle question

Finlay

Finlay

VIP Member
Vehicle
Just browsing
Hello
Can you fit an adult bicycle in the back of a Cali and if so which is the best way to do it to avoid damaging the interior? Thanks.

Remove the rear shelf portion of the bed, wheels off, put something on the floor and sides to avoid unnecessary scratches, i use an old duvet if I don't want to use the rack.

I remove the parcel shelf, then front wheel off and put the bike in backwards. If you have them use the screw in eyelets, in the rails, then some bungees to keep steady and cover up. I use an old picnic rug.
Done this with a child's bike either side of mine, no marks or movement.

You can fit a bike in the area behind the driver and passenger seat.
I bung mine in their when im going somewhere solo for a cycle.

That's what I do behind front seats, I take off front wheel put down a old blanket over the seats and floor place the front of bike on the protected back seats and lean the frame on the protected kitchen.
I know this might sound a nightmarish to some but I've done this for quite a long time with no probs, mind you I am careful.
I took the VW bike rack off because we weren't taking the bikes with us every time.

Wow, quite a few options.

I have the front stop removed so can push the rear seat all the way forward. This allows a 29er XL MTB to put in the back diagonally with the front wheel overlapping between the seat and side door

Lefties can be problematic

Hello
Can you fit an adult bicycle in the back of a Cali and if so which is the best way to do it to avoid damaging the interior? Thanks.
At what age do bicycles become adult?

1. Take off the front wheel.
2. Push a folded piece of old karrimat between the kitchen unit and front passenger seat.
3. Reverse the bike into the van so the rear triangle/back wheel is in the fold of the karrimat.
4. Rest the front forks on a mat just behind the drivers’ seat.
5. Put a toe strap or similar around the rear-brake lever to hold the brake on and stop the bike moving.
6. Don’t forget to put the front wheel in the van, ideally in a wheel bag.

Yep; bed out as mentioned, I’ve had 4 road bikes in the back with front wheels off with the seat slid nearly all the way forward.

Keeping the bed in, a single road bike fits with the back slotted between the front seats, secured to the passenger arm rest.

A second road bike can go in first, front wheel up on the rear seats, back nicely propped behind the rear seat. Always appropriately padded/protected of course.

I’m talking light road/track bikes. Touring/hybrid/MTB may be different.

The always-ready VW rack is brilliant, but there are definitely times when inside is good to protect from salt/grime in winter, to be more secure, or a very precious race bike etc.

The Cali is an awesome accompaniment to all sorts of cycling, from a potter down a Sustrans track all the way to full-on racing. You see quite a few at bike races.

Don't know if this of any use to you, but Saris Traps and a piece of wood worked for me.

1589658869971.jpeg

foto (100).JPG
3 bikes behind the van, possible to fit a 4th with an extra rail.
Enough space in the boot to fit other things than bikes.
Oh, I don't have to store my fridge in the boot either ;) . Gives me just that extra space in the boot :thumb.

I am not keen on storing things with sharp edges in my California with all that fancy furniture and pale grey interior.

Fitted 2 doors of a Renault Laguna II once. With enough blankets and foam to protect the interior. Still have a small dent in the overhead locker at the back. Just another small injury from using the van besides camping.

We sometimes put two adult MTB's in the back with the seat forward to the standard stops, you do have to remove the front wheels. I would say the Atera rack is lot less bother, we only put them in the van if the roads have been salted.

Back