Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T5 bicycle carrier, converting gas struts

janeandstef

janeandstef

Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi, I appreciate this may have been asked before but looking for advice on whether I need to convert my gas struts for my (T5 California) bicycle carrier, as the tailgate needs some help to fully open.

The information sheets (picture attached) mention struts numbered 1000N and 1030N, which should both be converted to 1080N, however my existing struts are numbered 1250N (picture also attached).

Should I change them to 1080N's?

Many thanks for your help.

IMG_20180116_162204.jpg

IMG_20180116_154426.jpg

The 1250N struts are stronger than the 1080s, on a cali they are uprated at the factory to take account of the weight of the seats in the tailgate as well.

as the tailgate needs some help to fully open.
In cold weather the struts are a bit feeble at the top of their extent. This has been discussed at length in other threads and there isn't anything to do about it. In warm weather they are apparently much more lively and uprating them would make it difficult to close the tailgate. I don't know that from experience because I doubt that the temperature has gone into double figures since we got ours.

In cold weather the struts are a bit feeble at the top of their extent. This has been discussed at length in other threads and there isn't anything to do about it. In warm weather they are apparently much more lively and uprating them would make it difficult to close the tailgate. I don't know that from experience because I doubt that the temperature has gone into double figures since we got ours.
I can confirm they can be very lively in very hot weather, 35c +, without a bike rack.

In warm weather they are almost too lively and in cold weather a bit too slow/weak inmho.

Back