Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bicycles carrier mounted on a Westfalia vertical detachable tow bar

JULIANLISMORE

JULIANLISMORE

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Does anyone know whether a Thule Euroclassic G6 928 (two bicycle) carrier, mounted on a Westfalia vertical detachable tow bar on a T5 California will tilt sufficiently to allow the rear door of the vehicle to be opened fully whilst the bicycles are mounted?

I have asked Thule UK the question and their response is that because they don't test every cycle carrier on every tow bar on every vehicle, they can't say. They suggest I visit one of their "partner" outlets and try the bike carrier. Trouble with that is that I live a long way from most outlets and I would prefer to order a carrier online.

For the record, Westfalia has confirmed that their two bike carrier (BC 60) mounted on their own vertical detachable tow hitch on a California will not allow the door to be fully opened without first taking the bikes of the carrier.

Does anyone know whether a Thule Euroclassic G6 928 (two bicycle) carrier, mounted on a Westfalia vertical detachable tow bar on a T5 California will tilt sufficiently to allow the rear door of the vehicle to be opened fully whilst the bicycles are mounted?

I have asked Thule UK the question and their response is that because they don't test every cycle carrier on every tow bar on every vehicle, they can't say. They suggest I visit one of their "partner" outlets and try the bike carrier. Trouble with that is that I live a long way from most outlets and I would prefer to order a carrier online.

For the record, Westfalia has confirmed that their two bike carrier (BC 60) mounted on their own vertical detachable tow hitch on a California will not allow the door to be fully opened without first taking the bikes of the carrier.

Hi Julian - there is a prev thread relating to this very question - try searching Thule cycle carrier

Not sure if this is any help but, I have a gen Westy tow bar and a titlable Thule bike carrier and , no , the tailgate won't open. It clashes with the upper part of the mount.

It's on my job list to cut it and re weld it 20mm lower.

Podster.

Not sure if this is any help but, I have a gen Westy tow bar and a titlable Thule bike carrier and , no , the tailgate won't open. It clashes with the upper part of the mount.

It's on my job list to cut it and re weld it 20mm lower.

Podster.
Thanks Sidepod. Since posting my initial enquiry I've had confirmation from a Thule re-seller that the tailgate won't open with the combination of Westfalia removable tow bar and Thule Euroclassic G6.

Unfortunately the same supplier has stated that because we want to carry two e-bicycles (weight possibly up to 25kg each) they can't recommend any carrier which will allow the tailgate to open right up.

JULIANLISMORE

Thanks Sidepod. Since posting my initial enquiry I've had confirmation from a Thule re-seller that the tailgate won't open with the combination of Westfalia removable tow bar and Thule Euroclassic G6.

Unfortunately the same supplier has stated that because we want to carry two e-bicycles (weight possibly up to 25kg each) they can't recommend any carrier which will allow the tailgate to open right up.

JULIANLISMORE

I suggest you change your supplier. The Altera Strada DL will carry 3 bicycles to a maximum weight of 60 Kgms total and will allow the VW California tailgate to open whilst connected. Depending on the size/style of the bicycle carried on the inside you may have to turn the handlebars through 90' so the tailgate can open fully.
I know, I use it with a VW factory fitted removable tow bar. See here.
http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php?AR2603