Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bike rack usefulness

Hello,

I've noticed that the number one item in the for sale section is awnings. I have one myself and have only used it twice in a year and a half and only when away for longer trips so I can see why people sell these.

One of the other things that often comes up for sale is the bike rack. I am thinking of getting one for my California but am wondering how much it would get used. I've had my cali for a year and a few months and I have never seen any VW Campervan with bikes on the bike rack. I've seen plenty of Campervans with the bike rack, but none with bikes on the rack. Maybe that's a sign!

My questions are for the folks that have/had a bike rack, or anyone planning to buy one. Does it get used much? Does it affect the fuel usage when not in use (it must do when in use)? Is it better to spend the money on a folding bike?

Thanks for looking.
Got a genuine VW bike rack, I'm sure it does effect fuel consumption, but it is very handy, we use it a lot. (If I was that worried about fuel consumption I don't think I would run a vw California)
Folding bikes (good ones) are great, and expensive. Space inside the California is limited and the thought of carrying two folding bikes inside not attractive.
We can lock bikes onto genuine cycle rack (made rack less stealable by changing some of mounting bolts, so theives will need more than one tool to get it off). Only down side is door is heavy to lift with bike, and obviously won't stay up, so turning gas on and off more challenging - also remember not to try and open tailgate with bikes on if roof up!!

We recently bought our van and it came with VW rack and tow hook. I haven’t actually driven with our bikes on yet but they are quite heavy and big (2 x Specialized Crosstrail) so a bit of grief to mount and demount them. For the rest of the time I have to say that the rack gets in the way. My dilemma is that for our use I wonder if a tow hook rack would be better suited but having had a look at one yesterday on a Ford van it looks as if the handle bars and pedals might interfere with the rear door? I do like the VW door rack, it simply ‘just works’ but with our bikes on they would have to be removed every time we need to open the rear door (more often than I had realised!).

Does anyone have specific experience of the Thule tow bar rack with two big bikes? Are they really as easy to swing out of the way and access the back of the van as Thule suggest?
See post #11 &12
Both Atera Racks, similar to Thule (same principal)

simply press a bar with your foot and the rack sides backwards on a curved beam, allowing access to the boot.
very easy to use
when finished simply push forward to re lock the bike in transit position

edit: depending on the tow bar type bike 1 closest to the van may require the handle bar to be turned (two screws) to allow the tailgate to fully clear the handle bar

See post #11 &12
Both Atera Racks, similar to Thule (same principal)

simply press a bar with your foot and the rack sides backwards on a curved beam, allowing access to the boot.
very easy to use
when finished simply push forward to re lock the bike in transit position

edit: depending on the tow bar type bike 1 closest to the van may require the handle bar to be turned (two screws) to allow the tailgate to fully clear the handle bar
Thanks @Perfectos, I have subsequently looked at a few videos/road tests and one issue that arose was that the Atera racks are quite short…….. our bikes are effectively ‘29 ers’ with a long wheelbase. I am not at home or near the van right now so can not measure but I do know that the VW rack is just wide enough.

The handle bar issue I can deal with (prefer not to but that’s me being lazy!)

I’ve also been looking at some of the ‘hanging’ bike racks but they look a little fragile (?)

EDIT: I’ve just looked at roofbox website and it appears the answers to my concerns are there somewhere :)

Last edited:
I’ve just loaded mine up.
Two ebikes and my lads mountain bike. Slides back clear for tailgate opening with bikes attached.
Like I said earlier, I couldn’t travel without full access to my boot…

DBB5A968-068D-42AF-B099-B2289EA053D0.jpeg

We used to have one. I couldn’t lift the bikes high enough to get them on the rack although my husband managed it. Standard bikes not heavier e-bikes Something to consider as I hadn’t thought about it until after we got one and tried to use it!

A “brief” (hah!) moment of panic, huh?!

Last edited:
Thanks @Perfectos, I have subsequently looked at a few videos/road tests and one issue that arose was that the Atera racks are quite short…….. our bikes are effectively ‘29 ers’ with a long wheelbase. I am not at home or near the van right now so can not measure but I do know that the VW rack is just wide enough.

The handle bar issue I can deal with (prefer not to but that’s me being lazy!)

I’ve also been looking at some of the ‘hanging’ bike racks but they look a little fragile (?)

EDIT: I’ve just looked at roofbox website and it appears the answers to my concerns are there somewhere :)

The Thule Wanderway 2 will just fit my size L long and slack enduro bike.

I may be wrong, but I think there may be rules that bikes on rear bike carriers must not extend beyond the width of the vehicle. So tandems should not be carried on rear bike racks - extreme example. As said could be wrong.

So, off the T4 westy, on the T6.1 coast. Yesterday solutions were found to keep the case firm and secure (yet make sure it can move slightly so it doesn't creak under torsion). But certainly also easy to assemble and remove from the bicycle rack. What goes in: bath towels, beach toys for children, rollerblades,… basically everything that does not weigh too much so that the boot lid can still be manipulated. Now - empty - it remains open easily. Fiamma Ultra-Box 320 (bought it second hand years ago).
Quick photo during test drive in the area. Everything OK thus case for extra storage space: check.
C0B113FC-E37A-47BD-B401-32684C9B24E7.jpeg
Greetings
Calibusje

Last edited:
Back