Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bike rack usefulness

Pros and cons to both. I've got nowhere to store a tow bar bike rack so tailgate for me. I've used it once in the month I've had it. Will probably use it 5 or 6 times a year for family trips.

Is it a lifestyle thing. Yes, no, maybe. Surely the whole campervan thing is a lifestyle thing. Choosing 20 inch wheels, decals, vinyl wraps, etc etc is all lifestyle. If someone thinks it looks good and never uses it, fair enough.

Yes, absolutely right @Boomer - if it looks good then why not. I'm guilty myslef of buying frivolous things - California included. I spent around £900 on an awning before taking delivery of my California and I've only used it twice. Could I live without it? Yes. Am I glad that I have it? Absolutely, yes.

I think I will get one as I know I will use it, and maybe even more if it's there.

I don't suppose anyone is selling one that has not got around to posting it on the forum?

Yes, absolutely right @Boomer - if it looks good then why not. I'm guilty myslef of buying frivolous things - California included. I spent around £900 on an awning before taking delivery of my California and I've only used it twice. Could I live without it? Yes. Am I glad that I have it? Absolutely, yes.

I think I will get one as I know I will use it, and maybe even more if it's there.

I don't suppose anyone is selling one that has not got around to posting it on the forum?
Always some on the multicoloured auction site

If you don’t need to access the boot area much, go for the lifestyle rack.
If you do, and I do a lot, getting a sliding rack makes obvious sense.
Again, if you’re the sort of camper that spends two weeks on the same campsite each year, the lifestyle rack will probably work. But if you prefer moving around a lot and touring/travelling, the tow bar sliding racks are the obvious choice:thumb

Last edited:
I use the rack to carry my bikes when I use them. My only worry is I’m toying with the idea of getting an ebike and lifting that beast onto the rack will be tricky.

Evening all.

I bought one of these, which is the best-value piece of kit Thule ever made - it will carry two bikes, and whilst yes, it obstructs the back door whilst fitted, it takes about 30sec to remove the bike (release one webbing strap and 2x rubber loops) and another 20sec to take the carrier off the tow ball (remove a padlock (if you fit one) and release the scissor-action clamp).

It all depends how much you want to cycle, and how many of you? - in my case I want my bike with me, but in so doing I don't want to make the vehicle 4' longer, nor to have the faff of a lighting board etc..

With just one bike - see pic's - there is no obstruction of the lights, and the number plate is pretty much unobscured too (certainly compared with the classic look of most family cars on holiday where four or more bikes are piled onto the rear hatch obscuring pretty much everything!).

It cost me around £70 (£80 now I think) and I bought it to fit onto the rental California we took on holiday last summer, as I didn't want to rent the huge 'trailer-style' affair they offered!

I then kept it and have used it several times on the new van we subsequently bought.

It's as stiff as a board when fitted: the clamp onto the tow ball is very tight and it also has the big advantage that neither the carrier nor any part of the bike(s) touches the vehicle. Incidentally I haven't even fitted any towing electrics as I really only fitted the tow ball to carry this bike rack.

This is of course FAR from a solution which will suit everybody, but it gives me freedom to ride, whilst my wife enjoys the view (!), and whilst it has to come off every time you want to get into the boot, for 2-up touring of the type we've done so far it's no great hardship compared with the benefits. And since it's my bike then it's absolutely my responsibility to get it out of the way when required!

Give me a shout if you'd like to know way more, and sorry if anyone has already covered this option earlier in the thread or elsewhere!

JR.

Screen Shot 2022-05-27 at 18.59.11.png

IMG_0714.jpg

DSC08393.jpg

Last edited:
The cost of an after market towbar would probably be cheaper than a proper repair to a tailgate / new tailgate.
My one hasn't damaged my tailgate and I have had it on and off 20-30 times. So damage is a low risk potential cost. But a genuine towbar with genuine electrics would definitely have cost lots of money when I was choosing. An after market towbar and electrics would still have been dear and might have done damage to the van too. They usually involve drilling, cutting and sometimes hacking into wiring (I've fitted them on previous cars). The VW rack is a relatively low cost solution but to me seems to be very good quality.
It certainly is true though that once you put 4 bikes on it, opening the tailgate is only a last resort option (usually to turn off the gas when I forgot) and takes one person to just about hold the tailgate up while the other dives in the gap

I have the OEM bike rack and most of the time it lives on hooks in the shed. Once a year it's invaluable for hammering down to Italy and back with two bikes on, but I'm also in the small minority here that also uses an automatic carwash which is not compatible ... :shocked

Great piece of kit when it's needed, but I can see the appeal of the towbar mounted option too.

If you use bikes then you need one or the other, and the Cali-sized camper is more likely to get parked on a site & left "set up" than some other options - so for us bikes are an essential part of the experience.

I use the rack to carry my bikes when I use them. My only worry is I’m toying with the idea of getting an ebike and lifting that beast onto the rack will be tricky.
That’s where the towbar wins, you can even get a ramp to wheel it on

For now, we do not take bicycles with us, but the possibility is there; at the moment the children are too small to go on bike rides when we are travelling. Each his own thoughts on that of course. If we did, the bike rides would be short ;)
So, we did order a bicycle rack on our bus, which we have had for about 4 weeks now, just like there was one on our old t4 westfalia. We have 3 different storage options to mount to that old bike rack and I will probably make them fit the current new bike rack (or buy something new). Most trips we made, we added the extra storagespace which is certainly useful during long and / or distant journeys.
C7E03EFA-B15C-4506-AFC5-B7F7D4D5D6DC.jpeg
28F16BEA-8BE7-4419-B1E0-8A4C737E2116.jpeg
56FE049B-BE7E-4BE8-AF99-E83EAA6B18AD.jpeg
And the empty rack:
175A4AA7-88A0-4DFE-AB3B-8CF96BA57C06.jpeg
The new one: I have already put my electric bicycle on it and it works very well.
2CDFAD7C-CCBA-43D5-8052-FE0260A17966.jpeg
E9607A9D-FD4B-4077-9FEE-83E55C62436A.jpeg
I know, I know it has become a bit of a photo book but I am proud of my old van and the new one :happy

Last edited:
But a genuine towbar with genuine electrics would definitely have cost lots of money when I was choosing. An after market towbar and electrics would still have been dear and might have done damage to the van too. They usually involve drilling, cutting and sometimes hacking into wiring (I've fitted them on previous cars). The VW rack is a relatively low cost solution

Tow bar will be a little more than the VW bike rack, then you need to add the tow-bar rack cost the overall spend (then you have a choice of various tow bar racks that can be fitted to any vehicle with a towbar, not just a single make / marque).

towbar fitting: if you fitted the correct tow bar, for a specific vehicle, it would utilise the existing fixings in the vehicle, the electrics would be plug and play (possibly some coding required depending on the vehicle and functionality, such as rear view camera, trailer stabilisation when the bike rack is plugged in etc)
VW Westfalia tow bar requires no hacking, cutting , drilling or damage as you suggest You’ve done to previous vehicles When fitting towbars Previously!

the VW tailgate rack is the lowest cost option you are correct, in addition, it also increases the height of the van when loaded with bikes (Peage, carparks, ferry etc) and makes it extremely difficult to access the boot whilst loaded (safe solo access practically impossible, unless using a prop etc)

Potential for paint damage resulting from the tailgate rack is a real possibility due to the way the VW rack fixes (clamps) to the tailgate perimeter and bears onto the tailgate panel to create a spread load (upto 60kg) it requires protective plastic to be applied to reduce abrasion From fitting the tailgate rack, but does not provide protection to the panel edges where the rack clamps to the tailgate & will need to be maintained for the life of the vehicle as the plastic fails.

as I said in my pre post, horses for courses, that’s why there is choice. One size does not fit all.

Last edited:

Evening all.

I bought one of these, which is the best-value piece of kit Thule ever made - it will carry two bikes, and whilst yes, it obstructs the back door whilst fitted, it takes about 30sec to remove the bike (release one webbing strap and 2x rubber loops) and another 20sec to take the carrier off the tow ball (remove a padlock (if you fit one) and release the scissor-action clamp).

It all depends how much you want to cycle, and how many of you? - in my case I want my bike with me, but in so doing I don't want to make the vehicle 4' longer, nor to have the faff of a lighting board etc..

With just one bike - see pic's - there is no obstruction of the lights, and the number plate is pretty much unobscured too (certainly compared with the classic look of most family cars on holiday where four or more bikes are piled onto the rear hatch obscuring pretty much everything!).

It cost me around £70 (£80 now I think) and I bought it to fit onto the rental California we took on holiday last summer, as I didn't want to rent the huge 'trailer-style' affair they offered!

I then kept it and have used it several times on the new van we subsequently bought.

It's as stiff as a board when fitted: the clamp onto the tow ball is very tight and it also has the big advantage that neither the carrier nor any part of the bike(s) touches the vehicle. Incidentally I haven't even fitted any towing electrics as I really only fitted the tow ball to carry this bike rack.

This is of course FAR from a solution which will suit everybody, but it gives me freedom to ride, whilst my wife enjoys the view (!), and whilst it has to come off every time you want to get into the boot, for 2-up touring of the type we've done so far it's no great hardship compared with the benefits. And since it's my bike then it's absolutely my responsibility to get it out of the way when required!

Give me a shout if you'd like to know way more, and sorry if anyone has already covered this option earlier in the thread or elsewhere!

JR.

View attachment 93630

View attachment 93632

View attachment 93633
This is a really good tip. I can spend 80quid and see how much I use it before I spend hundreds on the tail gate option. If I upgrade to the tail gate option then I can pass this one on to someone else with a similar dilemma.

This is a really good tip. I can spend 80quid and see how much I use it before I spend hundreds on the tail gate option. If I upgrade to the tail gate option then I can pass this one on to someone else with a similar dilemma.
Before the comments come in about the Number plate visibly in the OPs post,you can simply get a number plate made up with a couple of holes, attach it to the rear most bike so it is fully visible And you’re all legal

Win win :thumb

We have the tailgate rack and use it all the time with up to four mountain bikes. I have used towball racks on previous estate cars and agree with others comments about ease of use and tailgate access being better, but for me its not an absolute game changer. I think it would be though if I switched to one or more electric bikes. One thing I do prefer with the tailgate rack is having full view with reversing camera with the tailgate rack - a loaded bike rack will obscure that. The zone reversing markers let you know with surprising accuracy where the loaded rack reaches and this can be handy in a tight spot.

Hello,

I've noticed that the number one item in the for sale section is awnings. I have one myself and have only used it twice in a year and a half and only when away for longer trips so I can see why people sell these.

One of the other things that often comes up for sale is the bike rack. I am thinking of getting one for my California but am wondering how much it would get used. I've had my cali for a year and a few months and I have never seen any VW Campervan with bikes on the bike rack. I've seen plenty of Campervans with the bike rack, but none with bikes on the rack. Maybe that's a sign!

My questions are for the folks that have/had a bike rack, or anyone planning to buy one. Does it get used much? Does it affect the fuel usage when not in use (it must do when in use)? Is it better to spend the money on a folding bike?

Thanks for looking.
I have a Thule Wanderway which I leave on all the time. I guess you saw me when I had no bikes on. It has taken two bikes thousands of km without issue, just bought bar for third bike for grandaughter. Very solid, looked at cheaper ones which were less robust.

We bought a couple of Bromptons but they take up valuable space inside the van and they are bigger than you think. They don’t fit easily under the parcel shelf, they do fit on the parcel shelf itself but then you can’t fit much else there. Luckily, Bromptons hold their value almost as well as Calis, so we sold them for a small loss and now use our normal bikes on a T6 tailgate rack. We take the bikes on 3/4 of our trips away, so it’s really useful for us.

Hello,

I've noticed that the number one item in the for sale section is awnings. I have one myself and have only used it twice in a year and a half and only when away for longer trips so I can see why people sell these.

One of the other things that often comes up for sale is the bike rack. I am thinking of getting one for my California but am wondering how much it would get used. I've had my cali for a year and a few months and I have never seen any VW Campervan with bikes on the bike rack. I've seen plenty of Campervans with the bike rack, but none with bikes on the rack. Maybe that's a sign!

My questions are for the folks that have/had a bike rack, or anyone planning to buy one. Does it get used much? Does it affect the fuel usage when not in use (it must do when in use)? Is it better to spend the money on a folding bike?

Thanks for looking.
Use our bike rack virtually every time we go away. Wouldn’t be without it.

Exactly - don't over-analyse it; if you can afford 80 quid (likely as not almost fully-refundable) to do a simple experiment, then do it! All the best . . . .

For now, we do not take bicycles with us, but the possibility is there; at the moment the children are too small to go on bike rides when we are travelling. Each his own thoughts on that of course. If we did, the bike rides would be short ;)
So, we did order a bicycle rack on our bus, which we have had for about 4 weeks now, just like there was one on our old t4 westfalia. We have 3 different storage options to mount to that old bike rack and I will probably make them fit the current new bike rack (or buy something new). Most trips we made, we added the extra storagespace which is certainly useful during long and / or distant journeys.
View attachment 93638
View attachment 93639
View attachment 93640
And the empty rack:
View attachment 93641
The new one: I have already put my electric bicycle on it and it works very well.
View attachment 93642
View attachment 93643
I know, I know it has become a bit of a photo book but I am proud of my old van and the new one :happy
What is the soft bag you showed on your old cali?

What is the soft bag you showed on your old cali?
The bag of fiamma, cut in half lengthwise and the top slipped over the bottom and sewn with a strong needle and thread. Otherwise I thought the bag was too high to load (loading at the top and I'm 1m92 and still I find it too high). Reinforced walls and bottom inside. It has become a very solid storage bag that can withstand wind and rain.

Last edited:
Thule Wanderway 2 always on, avid mountainbiker and skier, equipment easily and often carried on the rack along with the occasional Christmas tree. Besides, as I live in an apartment I don’t really have anywhere to conveniently store a detachable tow-bar version.

2D2C6900-6D2A-40DE-BF1E-B2A06B7BB4F6.jpeg
We use our for mountain/road and Bromptons bikes depending what we are doing/going and extra storage and of course as a dryer

We recently bought our van and it came with VW rack and tow hook. I haven’t actually driven with our bikes on yet but they are quite heavy and big (2 x Specialized Crosstrail) so a bit of grief to mount and demount them. For the rest of the time I have to say that the rack gets in the way. My dilemma is that for our use I wonder if a tow hook rack would be better suited but having had a look at one yesterday on a Ford van it looks as if the handle bars and pedals might interfere with the rear door? I do like the VW door rack, it simply ‘just works’ but with our bikes on they would have to be removed every time we need to open the rear door (more often than I had realised!).

Does anyone have specific experience of the Thule tow bar rack with two big bikes? Are they really as easy to swing out of the way and access the back of the van as Thule suggest?

Back