Bluetooth/iPhone?

sidepod

sidepod

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Chaps,

Not strictly Cali but most certainly VW based.

My new Caddy (E30) has a RCD310 head unit with Bluetooth connectivity.

At first I couldn't get it to pair with my iPhone etc. Then it did. Then it didn't.

It would appear there is a specific sequence for switching stuff on.

Get in the van. Fire it up. Switch on the radio. All works fine.

If (like this morning) you've fired it up and left it to warm up before getting in the vehicle it wont see the phone when I do eventually get in it.
If I then switch off the engine/radio and start over again it does pair up and works perfectly.

Any similar experiences out there?

S.

I have a similar thing with the Pioneer sat nav i had fitted to my cali earlier this year - the bluetooth phone part works fine but to stream my music it only works if i turn bluetooth on my phone on before i enable bluetooth on the head unit. If i walk away with the phone in my pocket i can only resume playback if i go through the same process again. Slightly annoying but once you've worked out what the process is (it took me several days to work it out when on holiday) it's not too bad.

My Kenwood system was absolutely fine with the 4S yet doesn't seem to connect very well to my newer iP5. It usually eventually links but it takes ages, often needs connecting "manually" and doesn't offer voice activation.

It seems to be a common problem with the iP5. Progress huh?!

KernowLad said:
My Kenwood system was absolutely fine with the 4S yet doesn't seem to connect very well to my newer iP5. It usually eventually links but it takes ages, often needs connecting "manually" and doesn't offer voice activation.

It seems to be a common problem with the iP5. Progress huh?!

I don't know about voice activation but my IP5 connects fine with the Kenwood - I've always been too lazy too both with the voice activation.

In my loan Cali - I've got a 310 Sat Nav which I like far more than I expected, it's a good unit but again, laziness has intervened and I haven't looked at Blueooth or anything like that.

I am still getting used to driving a full Cali as opposed to a Beach. :)

James

On the same subject, once paired up I've been trying to get the display (between speedo and rev counter) to return to average speed/range/temp/average mpg etc.

All it wants to do is display the name of my iPhone.

I've now managed it. Just press and hold the rocker switch on the end of the wiper stalk until the display reverts to main menu. That took, myself, two VW salesmen and three mechanics. :headbang

S.

When you get into the van there is a short period where the BT Kit will 'hunt' for a phone. So in your case where you go out to warm up first, unless you put the phone in the van and leave it while it warms up then assuming you walk far enough away it will disconnect. Because the ignition is on and engine running the 'hunt' time will have lapsed.

Now you've half answered you own question with the bit about the menu. With no phone connected but in the phone section of the menu it will say something like 'Connect to phone'. You select this and if there is more than one phone paired it will offer you a choice, you choose yours and it will then begin the 'hunt' for a bluetooth connection with your phone.

As for the debacle to establish how to use the menu that's shocking from the dealership, if nothing else it should all be covered in the manual.

Back