Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bongo to Ocean owner

S

Sassypants77!

VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi all. Long time Bongo owner, have just put a deposit on a Cali Ocean 2018 Bluemotion 204 BHP. I rented a Cali 5 years ago and promised myself that I’d upgrade when I could. Very excited to see it on Sat and hopefully have our summer hols in it. Thanks for having me, I’ve learned a lot from reading posts. Only challenge is my 8 year old is very attached to the Bongo and is heartbroken ! I’m hoping for many more years of enjoyment in our new purchase.

I know just how your 8 year old feels. I was persuaded to convert from Bongo to California 3 years ago and was devastated. Took at least 6 months to get over it and I still look back and compare the two vehicles, especially when climbing a mountain pass and sailing past lay-bys which we would have had to populate to allow the Bongo cool down.
Having said all that I couldn’t be happier with the California and I hope you enjoy your new vehicle as much as I do mine.
Welcome aboard.

We got a lot of joy out of our Bongo, right up to the point it conked out on the M4! We had a few years without a van, and then bought a new California Coast two years ago. Have the odd nostalgic twinge, but can do things we'd have never risked in the Bongo!

Enjoy - your kid will get over it. Ours did!

We are literally in the early stages of our switch. Had a t5 conversion a few years back but sold it as it wasn't getting the usage with teenage kids and work etc. Bought a fab Bongo a couple of years ago, fresh import from Japan, and just took it on a 2 week tour of Scotland. Didn't miss a beat and so much fun to drive. But its unconverted so just a bit too small to be comfortable for camping. So planning to sell within the next month or so (we need the 6 seats for a couple of upcoming trips) and will then be looking at an Ocean which I know will be so much simpler for weekends away at short notice and better for longer holidays. But reading some of the threads regarding the 180 engine are making me nervous.

Hi all. Long time Bongo owner, have just put a deposit on a Cali Ocean 2018 Bluemotion 204 BHP. I rented a Cali 5 years ago and promised myself that I’d upgrade when I could. Very excited to see it on Sat and hopefully have our summer hols in it. Thanks for having me, I’ve learned a lot from reading posts. Only challenge is my 8 year old is very attached to the Bongo and is heartbroken ! I’m hoping for many more years of enjoyment in our new purchase.
Welcome to the forum! We’ve only had an Ocean, so I can’t compare like you can. I only know that after 18 months of use we‘re still loving it every tour and drive we do!

We are literally in the early stages of our switch. Had a t5 conversion a few years back but sold it as it wasn't getting the usage with teenage kids and work etc. Bought a fab Bongo a couple of years ago, fresh import from Japan, and just took it on a 2 week tour of Scotland. Didn't miss a beat and so much fun to drive. But it’s unconverted so just a bit too small to be comfortable for camping. So planning to sell within the next month or so (we need the 6 seats for a couple of upcoming trips) and will then be looking at an Ocean which I know will be so much simpler for weekends away at short notice and better for longer holidays. But reading some of the threads regarding the 180 engine are making me nervous.
I hope you find your dream Ocean. There are many forum members with 180 engines that have been fine, and I guess the bad experiences can get over amplified. But it’s good to go looking for a used vehicle with eyes open, aware of questions to ask.

We are literally in the early stages of our switch. Had a t5 conversion a few years back but sold it as it wasn't getting the usage with teenage kids and work etc. Bought a fab Bongo a couple of years ago, fresh import from Japan, and just took it on a 2 week tour of Scotland. Didn't miss a beat and so much fun to drive. But its unconverted so just a bit too small to be comfortable for camping. So planning to sell within the next month or so (we need the 6 seats for a couple of upcoming trips) and will then be looking at an Ocean which I know will be so much simpler for weekends away at short notice and better for longer holidays. But reading some of the threads regarding the 180 engine are making me nervous.
Not much to worry about with the 180 engine so long as the remedial work has been done.

We got a lot of joy out of our Bongo, right up to the point it conked out on the M4! We had a few years without a van, and then bought a new California Coast two years ago. Have the odd nostalgic twinge, but can do things we'd have never risked in the Bongo!

Enjoy - your kid will get over it. Ours did!
It’s amazing how a vehicle becomes part of the family. My heart says Bongo but my head knows she’s 20 years old and I want to be able to do long trips in comfort nowadays. My son will def get over it, he just hates change.

Welcome from a couple who have trodden the same path with a short deviation via a Mitsubishi Delica with safari trailer. We have been so pleased with our Ocean 204 and really hope that you enjoy the same experience.

Welcome from a couple who have trodden the same path with a short deviation via a Mitsubishi Delica with safari trailer. We have been so pleased with our Ocean 204 and really hope that you enjoy the same experience.
So far I’ve only just driven it from the dealer but what a dream to drive ! Still not saying ‘her’ tho and as yet unnamed !

We had three Bongos before changing to Calis about twelve years ago mainly because service and spares are unavailable abroad. Considering the massive price difference I can't honestly say that we don't have four times the amount of pleasure from the Calis but it is much more civilised and the extra 8 inches width makes a big difference. Value for money though I think a good Bongo is unbeatable.

Last edited:
We had three Bongos before changing to Calis about twelve years ago mainly because service and spares are unavailable abroad. Considering the massive price difference I can't honestly say that we have four times the amount of pleasure from the Calis but it is much more civilised and the extra 8 inches width makes a big difference. Value for money though I think a good Bongo is unbeatable.

I know that on paper the Ocean doesn’t do a whole lot more than a Bongo but civilised is the word.. such a smooth drive and for long distances it will make a world of difference. I’m slightly nervous about the fragility of cupboards etc and all the bells and whistles (already struggled last night to turn off the light in the wardrobe) but then any camper is prone to breakage. The Bongo had a few minor issues / annoyances too - things like tambour doors breaking etc. The price difference is justified i think given the high spec of the Ocean, but I’d recommend Bongos all day long for anyone looking for a sub 15k vehicle. They are brilliant.

We’ve been through many happy years with our Bongo, then many happy years with our California and now in the midst of happy years with our Hymercar Ayres Rock 5.4m. It’s a happy journey as you make the changes, so go for it.

Back