Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bonnet Latch

mikebravo

mikebravo

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi Folks,

I’m looking for a favour. I can pop the bonnet on my cali ok using the cable release, but the under-hood latch has broken or seized up so I can’t then get the hood open. I’m thinking I can unfasyen it with some tools but need to understand how it works first. Could anyone possibly take a picture of the latch mechanism, both in the hood and behind the grill, so I can see how it works?

Much appreciated
Thanks

Hi Folks,

I’m looking for a favour. I can pop the bonnet on my cali ok using the cable release, but the under-hood latch has broken or seized up so I can’t then get the hood open. I’m thinking I can unfasyen it with some tools but need to understand how it works first. Could anyone possibly take a picture of the latch mechanism, both in the hood and behind the grill, so I can see how it works?

Much appreciated
Thanks
Any use?

A30C99F0-3A91-4050-9D61-F52847C5B2CA.png

Hi Folks,

Much appreciated
Thanks
Mine used to stick . The plastic latch lever/mechanism used to stick, so it now gets a regular spray. This video might help…https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...B8F8CCAF0EF220480C05B8F&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Got it open! I put a flat head screwdriver in the gap between the flat edge of the plastic lever and the flat edge of the metal hook part. A slight turn of the screwdriver, 45 degrees clockwise, moved the hook to the left and released it. I’ve taken some photos here. The red line shows where you can wedge in the screwdriver. Once i got the bonnet open, I used a bit of bike lube to get the spring and hook moving freely again.

d35553362d244c4c9a7780a80a937981.jpg

14e5f34df374a2845a06ee822d3e7312.jpg

Got it open! I put a flat head screwdriver in the gap between the flat edge of the plastic lever and the flat edge of the metal hook part. A slight turn of the screwdriver, 45 degrees clockwise, moved the hook to the left and released it. I’ve taken some photos here. The red line shows where you can wedge in the screwdriver. Once i got the bonnet open, I used a bit of bike lube to get the spring and hook moving freely again.

White lithium grease (the spray type) applied to the moving parts will help stop the corrosion and keep the mech free.

Thanks for the pictures - I shall lubricate mine forthwith hopefully to prevent this happening to mine1