Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Brake Dust?

s2bear

s2bear

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Hi all. Fitted new wheels and tyres. After 80 motorway miles the rear wheels only are covered in a dust the consistency of flour. Nothing on the fronts. Just the rears. There’s no rubbing anywhere etc. Are the rears more prone to dust than the fronts?

You can see where the ‘metallic’ dust has adhered to the tyre fitter’s hand prints.

2b5a27dfeb7b45586bbabb947c5fc7c9.jpg

c2082a7b7464b9cbd7baf92513cb421d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hi all. Fitted new wheels and tyres. After 80 motorway miles the rear wheels only are covered in a dust the consistency of flour. Nothing on the fronts. Just the rears. There’s no rubbing anywhere etc. Are the rears more prone to dust than the fronts?

You can see where the ‘metallic’ dust has adhered to the tyre fitter’s hand prints.

Not in my experience. But that doesn’t look like brake dust.

Not in my experience. But that doesn’t look like brake dust.

No, you’re right, it doesn’t. It’s bothering me though as I don’t know why it’s just on the rear wheels or where it’s come from.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have the roads been salted or were you driving near a quarry/construction site - it looks like either salt or clay dust.

Have the roads been salted or were you driving near a quarry/construction site - it looks like either salt or clay dust.

Yes it’s very very fine. Like clay dust I suppose. Maybe I’m worrying unnecessarily, I’m always checking for potential issues after fitting new stuff and it struck me as odd that the front wheels are clean as a whistle. They were only fitted yesterday afternoon.

I’m going to wash it off before the drive home and see if it reappears.
Clean fronts:
b8a4412108bebde461b95728b5417f8e.jpg

I’m going to wash it off before the drive home and see if it reappears.

Best idea I think, fingers crossed.
Nice wheels though :thumb

Were they rorated front to back as that sort if dust level you expect on the front, but if you are loaded up the the brake bias may be causing the rear brakes to work harder.

What does concern me though is the bad etching of the alloy highlighted here.
vossen.png

How have you checked for rubbing? Jack up the back of the van with the hand brake off & rotate a wheel by hand, that colour dust looks like its coming from the wheel itself, are you sure that the back of the spokes are not touching the brake callipers? maybe only when the brakes are applied.

It it was just the fingerprints, I would have said it was just the powder from the latex gloves the fitters tend to wear.

Hi guys, I’ve can see the spokes are nowhere near the calipers or anything at all - I can get my hand in there and feel the back of the spokes which are clean and smooth. I got under the van and checked the insides of the rims and the tyres to make sure nothing was touching and the tyres are unmarked. The wheels are Vossen CV7 10x20 et45 and I know that plenty of people have put 10.5x20 on the rears without issues and with TUV approval etc. I’m hoping it’s just clay dust from a puddle I reversed into.... What looks like scoring on the wheel isn’t scoring, it’s just where the dust has landed and wipes off clean. The car was driven with hardly any weight in too.

Big gap between wheel and calipers/hub. And about a fingers width on the inside of the rim to the plastic wheel well liner - neither rim, tyre or liner seem to be compromised in any way. Will see what transpires and maybe go with a 5mm spacer for peace of mind. Really appreciate all of your feedback, said it before and will say it again - love this place!
f9ee829237c359484ee9de5c497aa594.jpg
be671edc46a4f9c7acf1278c72272394.jpg

Could just be that with a 20" wheel the brake disc back plate has a much larger open area where air, loaded with road surface dust, can now pass through.
Only way to know for sure would be to extend the back plates.

With the 10" wide rims you'll need to keep making regular checks for inner tyre wall damage and cracked rims.

Big gap between wheel and calipers/hub. And about a fingers width on the inside of the rim to the plastic wheel well liner - neither rim, tyre or liner seem to be compromised in any way. Will see what transpires and maybe go with a 5mm spacer for peace of mind. Really appreciate all of your feedback, said it before and will say it again - love this place!
f9ee829237c359484ee9de5c497aa594.jpg
be671edc46a4f9c7acf1278c72272394.jpg

Any more news?

Any more news?

Hi, thanks for asking - no, not yet as it was dumping snow yesterday and P-ing down today so it was washed last night ready to see if anything else appears.

There were no adverse noises en route back (or any other time) and I’m inspecting everything (again) with an endoscope tonight when I get home. Living the dream - my winter evenings just fly by!

Perhaps it is just that the wheel is much more ‘open’ and is effectively a barrel with a propeller at one end so collects more visible ‘stuff’.

One theory is that my wife just keeps sprinkling enough dust on the back wheels to keep me in the garage so she can watch Strictly!

Will keep you posted. Stu