Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Brake dust and brake pads

Wrinkly Ninja

Wrinkly Ninja

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi all.
I have 18" white retro alloys, which I love, on my T6 two tone Ocean 205 4Motion.
Unfortunately they show just how much brake dust comes off the Factory pads.
I use Bilt Hamber Auto wheel cleaner which works brilliantly but as I reckon the front pads, which create much more dust than the rears are due to be renewed the question I have is - Has anyone tried EBC Green stuff or Red stuff pads and if so how have you found them in terms of performance and dust creation?
I would also really appreciate it if someone could let me know what size/spec pads I would need.

Thanks in advance for the usual helpfulness of fellow members.

I thought green and red are for light weight cars. I think you need yellow.
But be carefull: I´ve had EBC on a Volvo and they eat up your discs!

Someone has way too much time on their hands :talktothehand

I've been using Collinite No 845 HD Insulator Wax on our 2 cars and Cali wheels for over 3 years and found brake dust just washes away with no pitting of dust.
I do regular wheel washes and rewax every few months.

Originally purchased from a Boat/marine supplier but don't seem to sell it now, found this source>

Interesting subject. Brakes work by friction between pad and disc. Harder pads will promote disc wear and the opposite pad wear. Matching the 2 components gives optimum effectiveness and life span.
I had my pads changed at 77,000 miles as they were down to about 90% wear and I was about to undertake a long Scandinavian trip. So wear was equal all around , but the front wheels accumulated more dust than the rear and I think that is all down to airflow over brakes and wheels front to rear as the wear was the same front to rear so I presume the dust generated was similar front to rear.
Changing one component, harder pads etc;, in isolation can impair the efficiency requiring greater braking pressure or increased wear of other components discs etc.
I'm not talking about changing makes of components but changing specifications of isolated components.

Back