Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Brake service

Crispo

Crispo

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Merry Christmas All and trust having a great time.
Was going to ask for recommendations for camp sites open for the festive period, but unfortunately now seems that I need brake work doing instead!! Rear off side squealing like a banshee, so guessing pads low with poss damage to disc. As I am still awaiting callback from listers cov, having called for prices 3 hours ago, got me thinking whether there were alternatives eg Halfords, independents, me!?
Any recommendations or experiences in Stratford / Warwickshire, or should I leave it to vw? Does it have to be van centre or could it be more local lister vw car centre? Been a while since I’ve done myself - 1986 vw scirocco - is it a diy job, or are special skills or tools required??
Many thanks for your help
Cris

Merry Christmas All and trust having a great time.
Was going to ask for recommendations for camp sites open for the festive period, but unfortunately now seems that I need brake work doing instead!! Rear off side squealing like a banshee, so guessing pads low with poss damage to disc. As I am still awaiting callback from listers cov, having called for prices 3 hours ago, got me thinking whether there were alternatives eg Halfords, independents, me!?
Any recommendations or experiences in Stratford / Warwickshire, or should I leave it to vw? Does it have to be van centre or could it be more local lister vw car centre? Been a while since I’ve done myself - 1986 vw scirocco - is it a diy job, or are special skills or tools required??
Many thanks for your help
Cris
It is a DIY job, if you have the tools. I gather the pistons have to be screwed back in to insert new pads.
You can find many places that will do it for you. Probably VW will be the most expensive but you do get a warranty on the parts and work.
After 8 yrs bolts etc may be seized etc: and at least garages etc: should have the experience and tools to deal with such problems.
Personally, I have a competent Dealership so I stick with them.

I'm sure you could find a decent VW expert around Stratford on Avon area? Ask at local motor factors.

My rear brake pads due for renewal too,on inspection at dealers last month was told 75% worn,the fronts only,30% worn. When checked Oct last yr ( service) had 60% worn rear and 20% worn fronts. Almost clocked up 40,000 miles now.
Shame brake system wears rear ones quicker than fronts?
Must be a reason with the design for stopping almost 3000 kg!
Any thoughts?
ps
If you want to attempt D I Y take a look on YouTube. I found a D I Y on T5 brake pad replacement and more ! for me my D I Y days are over for these things will take me too long,so going to leave it for my Mechanic living opposite me !

My rear brake pads due for renewal too,on inspection at dealers last month was told 75% worn,the fronts only,30% worn. When checked Oct last yr ( service) had 60% worn rear and 20% worn fronts. Almost clocked up 40,000 miles now.
Shame brake system wears rear ones quicker than fronts?
Must be a reason with the design for stopping almost 3000 kg!
Any thoughts?
ps
If you want to attempt D I Y take a look on YouTube. I found a D I Y on T5 brake pad replacement and more ! for me my D I Y days are over for these things will take me too long,so going to leave it for my Mechanic living opposite me !
Personally, I think that wear pattern is a little unusual. I would expect the front to wear more. In fact I would expect the ratio you quoted to be reversed and not quit so exaggerated.
How old is your vehicle?
I’ve just had my first brake pad change at 77,000 miles. Front worn 70% and Rear 90%.

Just done my fronts and it took about an hour. I studied YouTube first. I did buy a wind back tool from screwfix for £20 which made it so much easier.

Personally, I think that wear pattern is a little unusual. I would expect the front to wear more. In fact I would expect the ratio you quoted to be reversed and not quit so exaggerated.
How old is your vehicle?
I’ve just had my first brake pad change at 77,000 miles. Front worn 70% and Rear 90%.

Do you mean the other way round Welsh Gas ?

Do you mean the other way round Welsh Gas ?
No. I have a 4Motion and the 180, with larger front brakes.
With same size brakes front and rear and FWD I would expect the front to wear more than the rear. Previous FWD vehicles with same sized brakes front and rear tended to wear more on the front. 4Motion probably has an effect as well.
75% on the rear and 30% on the front doesn't seem right.

No. I have a 4Motion and the 180, with larger front brakes.
With same size brakes front and rear and FWD I would expect the front to wear more than the rear. Previous FWD vehicles with same sized brakes front and rear tended to wear more on the front. 4Motion probably has an effect as well.
75% on the rear and 30% on the front doesn't seem right.
How old is your vehicle?
Vehicle will be 6 years old in March ! would be interesting if any other members with just FWD have same wear. VW Hereford serviced vehicle last year and 2 months ago I had 4 wheel tracking done by them which they did a free health check hence the brake pad wear report, nothing mentioned about unusual wear.
But it is strange fronts not wearing out faster than rear?
Will ask my mechanic neighbour what he thinks when i set a date for him to change pads,although when he checked them for me before VW checked,he didn't say something not right plus no probs so far on MOT and she stops (touch wood) very extremely well.

Just done my fronts and it took about an hour. I studied YouTube first. I did buy a wind back tool from screwfix for £20 which made it so much easier.
That's really good, wonder if rear pads would take a little bit longer?
Problem with me doing it im not on the flat

Thanks all.
Memories of seized bolts, cold weather, and the odd tool short of a set have led me to book at Listers Cov. tomorrow. Daily drive so no time to look elsewhere.
Can anyone advise how to get the members discount. Couldn't find code in vip. Is it simply done on them trusting my word as paid up member??

That's really good, wonder if rear pads would take a little bit longer?
Problem with me doing it im not on the flat
Rears were done a couple of months back. Just as easy. I would not do it if I was not on the flat. I always use axle stands which I would not trust if not level.

A quick update and further questions....
Just had mot and advised that rear brakes need to be replaced as although only 10% worn pads and discs, some rust on discs - £402 + vat. Now, only 2 1/2 years since done at VW previously, so bit peeved to say least. Around 8,000 miles done, although used pretty much daily. Should these really need replacing already, or dodgy parts? If rust due to low miles, apart from driving more, how should you maintain to avoid??
Cheers

I don't understand how some users are being told that they need new brake pads (or discs & pads) at such low mileages. I know usage patterns have significant affect in pad and disc wear but 8000 miles and needing changing seems ridiculous to me.

My 2016 T32 T6 (manual gearbox) which I purchased new has done 70,000 miles. At the MOT of 2021 I was advised that the rear pads may need changing. Only 'may' as inspection was not easy due to the fact that at an MOT the tester was not allowed to remove the wheels to inspect carefully.
Subsequently I changed the pads but only because I'd removed the old ones which didn't really need changing but as they were out it seemed silly not to fit the new ones that I had bought.

As for the front pads and discs which are original passed the 2022 MOT without comment. I've looked at them and the pads still have plenty of 'meat' on them and the discs are not badly scored.

As you see from the mileage over six years of ownership I average about 11,500 miles per year much of the that short trips around town with much longer holidays in Europe doing 3,000 miles in four or five weeks usually twice per year.
My rule of thumb is to take the van for a short drive to dry the brakes if I have jet washed it but otherwise I don't pay any special attention to them. The vehicle is parked on the street when not in use so open to the elements 365 days per year.

There is one very important thing in our driving style, pressing that middle pedal wastes the diesel that you have used by pressing the right one so we drive with as much foresight as possible i.e. use brakes as sparingly as possible!

Just had mot and advised that rear brakes need to be replaced as although only 10% worn pads and discs, some rust on discs - £402 + vat. Now, only 2 1/2 years since done at VW previously, so bit peeved to say least. Around 8,000 miles done, although used pretty much daily. Should these really need replacing already, or dodgy parts? If rust due to low miles, apart from driving more, how should you maintain to avoid??
Cheers
I posted my experience in
Post in thread 'Brake disc corrosion'

Now on 17,000 miles with my Brembo rear discs and pads.

Nice almost mirror finish on discs (last image) and very little pad wear.

Currently £142.97 at Euro parts with independent fitting from around £100

Cheers

I would be thinking of a few hard braking stops from high speed somewhere out the way to wear the rust off & repeating it at least once a month in the future to avoid further build up.

Cheers

So did it pass or fail the MOT?

If it passed, just ignore and take it on some downhills and give the brakes a good workout.

All discs get surface rust when a van is left standing, it comes off when you use the brakes.

Thanks for replies all. It did pass it's mot, although they don't actually tell you that when they send the 'health report' leading you to assume you need to authorise work before pass??! Actually ticked them off for doing this as mot was what it went in for not health check - they state it is a legal requirement (ahem ahem) to do health check.
Will go out and give the brakes a good test over weekend to clear out the cobwebs.....
As an aside, the health check video also said the noise we were hearing was the front top mounts and bearings.....we didn't report hearing any noise (as we haven't) so that was a surprise too, as was quoted £1500 or so to resolve.
VW not a pleasant experience - every mot or service results in quotes or bills for £loads

Thanks for replies all. It did pass it's mot, although they don't actually tell you that when they send the 'health report' leading you to assume you need to authorise work before pass??! Actually ticked them off for doing this as mot was what it went in for not health check - they state it is a legal requirement (ahem ahem) to do health check.
Will go out and give the brakes a good test over weekend to clear out the cobwebs.....
As an aside, the health check video also said the noise we were hearing was the front top mounts and bearings.....we didn't report hearing any noise (as we haven't) so that was a surprise too, as was quoted £1500 or so to resolve.
VW not a pleasant experience - every mot or service results in quotes or bills for £loads
Take it to an independent workshop/MOT station like I do.

I always ask the tester personally to give me an opinion of what he can see as he does the MOT inspection. I often get invited into the test bay to see for myself anything that has been queried. Admittedly they know that I do my own maintenance and understand what they are saying. The main reason that I query the MOT tester's view of things whilst the vehicle is up on the ramp is that I'm not getting any younger and crawling under the van when on axle stands is no longer my idea of fun! But if I can replace brake pads, discs etc. myself I am saving the hourly rate charged by the garages. All the savings can then go towards holidays in the camper.

Take it to an independent workshop/MOT station like I do.

I always ask the tester personally to give me an opinion of what he can see as he does the MOT inspection. I often get invited into the test bay to see for myself anything that has been queried. Admittedly they know that I do my own maintenance and understand what they are saying. The main reason that I query the MOT tester's view of things whilst the vehicle is up on the ramp is that I'm not getting any younger and crawling under the van when on axle stands is no longer my idea of fun! But if I can replace brake pads, discs etc. myself I am saving the hourly rate charged by the garages. All the savings can then go towards holidays in the camper.
I feel pretty much the same as you. In the past I’ve done everything on a vehicle myself. Today although the basics are the same engines are far more complex and every part has a sensor. I certainly don’t like the idea of paying a VW Garage £150 an hour to fit brake pads as they are simple enough to do with fairly basic tools, but taking a gearbox out to replace a clutch at my age I think I will leave that to others.

Cheers
If discs look rusty from lack of use prior to MOT Test a cleaning session with a Multitool type sander will stop the visual only "needs new discs" from MOT Inspector.
Can be done by hand but tedious.

I feel pretty much the same as you. In the past I’ve done everything on a vehicle myself. Today although the basics are the same engines are far more complex and every part has a sensor. I certainly don’t like the idea of paying a VW Garage £150 an hour to fit brake pads as they are simple enough to do with fairly basic tools, but taking a gearbox out to replace a clutch at my age I think I will leave that to others.
I also own a full and up to date version of VCDS (Vag-com) which does give me the opportunity to keep an eye on things and do some simple coding changes.

Back