Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Brandrup Solar Shower as water tank for filling Cali?

R

roball

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi all,
I'm thinking of buying the Brandrup 'water fill-in set' to help me fill up the Cali's water tank. If I understand correctly, you need to buy the 'fill in set' and a separate foldable water tank to attach to it. I'm wondering if it'd be possible to buy the 20litre solar shower in place of the 20litre foldable water tank, as I quite fancy being able to use a solar shower from time to time, and it appears to just be a black version of the normal foldable water tank ("foldable water tank for showering made of food safe polyethylene").

Has anyone else combined these two systems, or know if they're compatible?

(all equipment I'm referring to is on this Brandrup webpage)

Thanks!
Rob

Hi Rob

You need to be careful in the type of plastic the tank is made from, the black shower type may taint the water.

I bought a cheap fold up water container from a chain store and used it to fill the tank, only to find it had tainted the water and we had to dump the whole lot and rinse the tank out. :(

Hi,
I had the same idea as you with a solar water bag from Lidl and with a length of rope hooked onto the slide mounting thumb screw (from the Cali shop), and a small length of food grade hose.
I use this as an alternative to moving my Cali to fill the tank from a service point. It works a treat with just a little leak of water from the tap on the bag and the hose. I generally don't drink water from the tank so any taint in the taste has passed me by.

All costs came to less than £15 which is a whole lot less than the Brandrup set up!

I have used and do use the solar shower on many occasions but times when I'm out in the wilds and water is collected from the river,I use a ortlib water bag with a length of O2 Hose,it takes a while to fill but does not leak and works every time,you will need to put a small breather pipe in the top of the hose where its connected to the bag to allow it to breathe.I find this option lets me leave water in the solar shower on the roof to heat the water in the bag for the shower after a day on the hill and i can carry the ortlib bag whilst out on the hill to fill on the way back to the van.
I did use the foldable Bandrupt water carrier,it lasted about six month and split.I had to heat the plastic whilst out to keep it working.It took up to much space and not robust enough.
Tip for anyone filling from the hooks in the cali rail,ensure you put what ever your filling the tank with in a non scratch material as it will rest on the paintwork.Ive seen a friends with lots of damage after the winter season,not helped with road grit ect from the long drive up north.