Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bridge Collapse

We were driving on this 10 times just over a week ago staying at Campsite Villa Doria in Genoa. So sad. The whole of Italy’s motorway network seems to be either bridges or tunnels....safe travels everyone!

Same here driven across it about 6 times 4 years ago, Italian motorways not the best to drive on.
Feel very sorry for the people involved and their families

:( So awful- thoughts and prayers.

Who has crossed this now collapsed bridge and when?

21 November 2017 sometime between 10:11 and 12:02, two adults, two children and a border collie.

Part of our route between Camping de Wijnstok, Imperia, and Camping Sergeant, Florence, from Google Maps timeline below.

Morandi.jpg

I'm sure many of us have been over that bridge.

Let's just be thankful we were not crossing over at the time of collapse.
Indeed! I have been over it hundreds of times as we had a factory in the hills north of the city. Been retired 4 years now but trying to check old friends and colleagues are all well and accounted for.

We drove through Genoa in June but kept off the Autostrada. The roads through this port were very conjested and stop start for a lot of the route so this disaster must be causing almost complete gridlock at certain times. I imagine that this will continue for a long time until a temporary detour is constucted if indeed that is possible.

My other thought was that as this bridge was faulty then what about all of the others that span the deep valleys between the tunnels along this stretch of hilly autostrada?

Last edited:
We drove through Genoa in June but kept off the Autostrada. The roads through this port were very conjested and stop start for a lot of the route so this disaster much be causing almost complete gridlock at certain times. I imagine that this will continue for a long time until a temporary detour is constucted if indeed that is possible.

My other thought was that as this bridge was faulty then what about all of the others that span the deep valleys between the tunnels along this stretch of hilly autostrada?
Horrible thought but one that many Genoese will have. I don’t know but from feedback I got from friends and former colleagues these roads are so important to the area even Italy the economy will suffer as a result of the disaster. Will they avoid the other similar bridges? They are certainly giving that some serious thought if options exist.

Horrible thought but one that many Genoese will have. I don’t know but from feedback I got from friends and former colleagues these roads are so important to the area even Italy the economy will suffer as a result of the disaster. Will they avoid the other similar bridges? They are certainly giving that some serious thought if options exist.
Traffic doesn't appear too bad for now, but half of Italy is on holiday right now.
https://goo.gl/maps/ghsGPE2XPB42

We're doing our fourth annual trip driving down to Siena area in six weeks time, so much of the run from the Lakes is on elevated autoroute & it makes you think about things that you've previously always taken for granted.

Terrible tragedy for those caught-up in it, just awful.

Rebuilt in 8 months apparently, I can't see that happening.

We went both ways across this bridge the year we bought our Cali, 2012. Hated the Italian motorways, bridge-tunnel-bridge-etc with narrow lanes and lorries thundering by with inches to spare. Genoa was memorable for tunnels with junctions, directions only signed at the last minute. Italy seemed - from the road system at least - more like the 3rd world than 'civilised' Europe such as France, Germany, Benelux etc. We vowed never to go back!

Back