Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bridgestone all season

E

eejoor

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
We just toured northern Sweden and Norway in our cali 4motion. tires where standard Bridgestone all seasons and the roads where a mix of gravel roads an tarmac. Tires where at the correct inflated. We had 6 punctures on 5000 km and had to replace 2 tires with 10000 km on them. The guy at the tire center said the Bridgestone is unsuited to the t6 (he rents them). Any experience on here with the Bridgestone all season or just bad luck? D4D1FA57-B430-4428-AF96-412030116715.jpeg

34130C87-3D65-4F1A-8EB3-DC2844C8C928.jpeg

We just toured northern Sweden and Norway in our cali 4motion. tires where standard Bridgestone all seasons and the roads where a mix of gravel roads an tarmac. Tires where at the correct inflated. We had 6 punctures on 5000 km and had to replace 2 tires with 10000 km on them. The guy at the tire center said the Bridgestone is unsuited to the t6 (he rents them). Any experience on here with the Bridgestone all season or just bad luck? View attachment 96630

View attachment 96631
I travelled to Nordkapp from UK via Norway. 6,500 miles return on mixture of roads and snow. Michelin Cross Climate SUV that had already covered 7,000 miles. No Punctures.

Same cali , same tires, leaving soon for similar trip with brand new vehicle. Never had problems before with t6 and cross climate..
lets hope we don’t experience same problems as you..

T6 2017 4 motion. Sweden and Norway - over 4500 miles 21 days. Mix of tarred and gravel roads all across. Winter tires - Nokian WR SUV 4. No punctures or any other issues. Sure footed all through.

I would not do the trip on the standard Bridgestone Turanzas ER300s. Which is the all season Bridgestone that you have?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

If you order 4season tires vw delivers bridgstone weathercontrol a005 235/55/R17 103H on recently delivered cali’s. Really thinking about changing before first puncture.

Last edited:
If you order 4season tires vw delivers bridgstone weathercontrol a005 235/55/R17 103H on recently delivered cali’s.
Thanks. That's interesting as the a005 has got decent reviews.

@eejoor , is there one tyre that has the issue, or was it always front or rear? Could it be alignment where the tyres are scrubbing and so more prone to picking up material from the road?

If all ok, I would just assign it to bad luck!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

We had Bridgestone Turenza as original equipment. ( Not 4seasons)
Trip to Iceland, 3 punctures in 3 weeks.
And then another puncture in Belgium.
Worst tires I've had in almost 50 years of driving! I quickly changed them!

I had them on my car, Ford galaxy, they didn't wear well at all. The edges of the tread started to chunk and fall apart. I emailed Bridgestone about this and they didn't seem concerned. I only got about 8000miles out of the pair, very disappointed. Wouldn't buy them again.

I’ve gone for Michelin latitude cross m/s 235/55/17 done 3800 miles on them average around 28-32mpg (hightop joker van so Cali would be better) wearing well and lots of gravel/chunky loose stone roads/grass/potholes etc. chunky and reinforced sidewalls.3791B22F-FB5A-4944-99B1-CF80989B19AF.jpeg

We had Bridgestone Turenza as original equipment. ( Not 4seasons)
Trip to Iceland, 3 punctures in 3 weeks.
And then another puncture in Belgium.
Worst tires I've had in almost 50 years of driving! I quickly changed them!
Same experience here: original turanza on T6 in 2016, 3 punctures in 2 years on tarmac, then replaced with crossclimate michelin..

Just got my second puncture in three months on Bridgestone Weather Control tyres. Both caused by stones. I might have thought just coincidence but reading others’ experience I think I am going to change to Michelin Crossclimate.

The first puncture was a minor inconvenience but this time round I’m right up the end of Scotland‘s longest inland glen with no phone signal. Yes, I have a spare but watching the AA struggle to change it last time I’m not about to try myself. Another one for VW Roadside Assist.

Just got my second puncture in three months on Bridgestone Weather Control tyres. Both caused by stones. I might have thought just coincidence but reading others’ experience I think I am going to change to Michelin Crossclimate.

The first puncture was a minor inconvenience but this time round I’m right up the end of Scotland‘s longest inland glen with no phone signal. Yes, I have a spare but watching the AA struggle to change it last time I’m not about to try myself. Another one for VW Roadside Assist.
Worth looking at Michelin latitude cross m/s they have extra reinforced sidewall

Worth looking at Michelin latitude cross m/s they have extra reinforced sidewall
Latitude Cross are great tyres - basically a hybrid road/off-road design and as you say they are properly reinforced - but I don't know how they would be for ride, noise, wear and fuel economy on a Cali. Have you used them?

[EDIT: sorry, just seen your July post above. Looks like they are a good option for 'off beaten track' Cali use then.]

Latitude Cross are great tyres - basically a hybrid road/off-road design and as you say they are properly reinforced - but I don't know how they would be for ride, noise, wear and fuel economy on a Cali. Have you used them?

[EDIT: sorry, just seen your July post above. Looks like they are a good option for 'off beaten track' Cali use then.]
I was posting under 4x4 joker so may have thrown you now using new name.
Very pleased with them, they are c rated for fuel so shouldn’t be to much of a hit on crossclimate 2-3mpg (guessing).

Bridgestone Weather Control and Michelin Crossclimate are certified by the 3 Peak Mountain Snow Flake (3PMSF) marking.
Michelin Latitude Cross is not in the same category, it does not have the 3PMSF label, and would not be authorized in mountainous areas as a winter tire in France, for example.

Bridgestone Weather Control and Michelin Crossclimate are certified by the 3 Peak Mountain Snow Flake (3PMSF) marking.
Michelin Latitude Cross is not in the same category, it does not have the 3PMSF label, and would not be authorized in mountainous areas as a winter tire in France, for example.
They don’t have the symbol but are rated M/S so just the older marking.
op wanted tyres that are stronger to stop getting flats.

Bridgestone Turanza on ours as standard, 14,000+ miles on our 18 Reg Ocean, with no issues front or rear. Wearing evenly. VW Van Centre rep. at MOT time said they had 'age related' cracks. I spoke to my regular tyre fitter who checked and told me 'They like to say that, probably sell some tyres'. 3mm tread left on the fronts above the tie bars, more on the rears. Just lucky I guess.

So - another month on and now a third puncture caused by a stone. At the last puncture I replaced the spare with a Latitude Cross, I’ve now bought four more of the same to replace the Bridgestone Weather Controls. At 5,000 miles it seems like a waste but they‘re obviously not up to the job. If anyone is thinking of specifying all season tyres on a new Cali I’d advise against it, fit your own choice of tyre.

So - another month on and now a third puncture caused by a stone. At the last puncture I replaced the spare with a Latitude Cross, I’ve now bought four more of the same to replace the Bridgestone Weather Controls. At 5,000 miles it seems like a waste but they‘re obviously not up to the job. If anyone is thinking of specifying all season tyres on a new Cali I’d advise against it, fit your own choice of tyre.
I have my eyes set on the latitude cross as well for the next change. Great tyres. Any deals to be had?

They don’t have the symbol but are rated M/S so just the older marking.
op wanted tyres that are stronger to stop getting flats.
Would that be acceptable to the authorities in Europe though? I can see this possibly being an issue for insurance should the Cali be involved in an accident.

I was planning to install the Latitude Cross but they are rated as summer tyres and lack the 3 peak mark so to avoid issues I will get Cross Climate 2's.

We picked up our van on Monday and took a few days to get home with it. Woke on Tuesday to a flat tyre which the tyre repairer thought was caused by a stone. Same tyres as you with 300 miles on them. Luckily we got the tyre inflated on the campsite and drove to the tyre repairers but hope this isn’t going to be a regular occurrence. Will be Michelin cross climate next time if I have any more punctures!

Mine on the front are still going strong. Around 12k on them which is pretty exceptional when on 18in and lowered. I suppose less urban driving helps.

Real mixed bag with the A005 on the Cali but I do find the tyres mighty in tricky wet conditions. I came back through Wales recently and it was like I was on full wets and everyone else was on inters.

I have a set going on the XC70 tomorrow. Paid around £118 each (18in) so a bit of a steal. The Volvo is a lot softer on tyres. These are to replace a set of half work Maxxis Premitra tyres which are horrible and wobble when cold on a hit and miss basis.

Generally the reviews for the Bridgestones are pretty positive especially in wet conditions. I wonder if the weight of the Cali is the contributing factor, opening up the tread allowing sharp pointy things access to the thin carcass. All these punctures suggest the carcass isn't very resilient.

Latitude Cross are very robust tyres, they have a well-reinforced sidewall. I do endurance rallying on them, and a friend who used a set on the 2019 Peking-Paris Challenge had not a single puncture in over 14,000 km including on some very severe "roads".

As has been pointed out they are M+S and have a blocky tread which is good on a range of surfaces but they are not "Three Peaks/Snowflake" symbol marked which has implications for travel in certain European countries at certain times of the year.

Because of the tread pattern on Latitude Cross, they've not going to be as smooth riding, quiet or economical to drive on as road-type all-seasons tyres. You pays your money, etc.

Back