Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Brit stops with facilities

Ricotansky

Ricotansky

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Morning all,

I've seen britstops discussed a lot recently and it looks like it could be a good way of staying at some interesting places.

But....the lack of facilities puts me off a bit. We don't have a portaloo so can't be totally self sufficient in that regard!

My question for those of you who do use Brit stops is, roughly how many of the places in the book have toilets/showers etc? Is it just the odd one or is it a decent proportion?

Thanks in advance!

Rico

I have used Britstops 12 times in the last two months.

Only one offered me use of a shower. Not a problem, its what baby wipes, face wipes, hand wipes, cleansing wipes, skin nutrition wipes, eye make up wipes, lip wipes etc is for.

Loo's ... most have them but most not available when the premises are closed.

Water? Only the Aire near Peterhead had an outside tap.

Think of Brits as wild camping with the owners permission. Don't depend on anything. If you are not self-contained then probably it would be too difficult. If you are not a bloke then probably a lot more difficult without a portaloo.

It's a horses for courses thing. For me it's the ultimate of what a Cali was designed for, go anywhere, stop anywhere, and for me the time spent practicing all sorts of different ways, means and techniques to become wholly self-sufficient was well worth it. Others are happy parking up on a full facilities camp site for a few days at a time. It's all about personal preference.

Just was checkin' out the website from Britstops .
Looks intresting , can you by the book and sticker on the ferry anywhere ...or do you have order it up front and send at home.

Thanks for the replies, I think I'm tempted to try it anyway. For the odd night away it might work, which I suppose is what it is about, rather than staying for a few days.

You pre-order it from the website hotel california, I don't think you can get it in shops. Looks like the 2015 version is available to order now and they will post it to you in early March.

It's worth trying, you only have to use a britstop 2 or 3 times and it's paid for the book,

plus you meet some very nice people in very convivial surroundings..

I'm looking at Britstops too.
In your experience what ratio of Britstops allow you to call ahead?
When you can't call ahead how often are you disappointed that the spaces are gone?
We'd mostly be travelling during school holidays. For example, I'm thinking of using a Britstops on a bank holiday weekend to break-up a journey to Scotland. I wouldn't want to do a huge detour off the motorway to find no spaces and then start hunting for a wild camp.

I've never met a "Full" sign yet. Most are happy with you just turning up but for the same reasons I do prefer to call ahead. It's also advisable if you want to eat at a popular time. My Saturday night britstop saw me popping into the pub, "table for one please.." .... "sorry madam, we are busy tonight"...."goodness!! Something going on?" ..... "yes madam, check the date".

They eventually found me a place.

It helps sometimes to just stand there and cry.

Another reason to call ahead is to make sure it is a viable stopover.

Whilst Britstops are excellent at informing of changes via email sometimes circumstances can change quickly.

My trip before last saw me calling ahead to be told "sorry, closed, no power after the storms"... I sill went as all I needed was a parking place but if I was depending on getting food and loo's to use I would have been stuck as it was late at night in the middle of nowhere.

This trip saw me spending a convivial evening with a host who cheerfully informed me half way through that "tonight is our last night, the bailiffs arrive tomorrow".

I've just ordered this tonight. Anyone had any good Britstop for experiences since the last post in Feb 2016?

Also is there an equivalent for France and Spain please?

France and Spain ... All the Aires from Vicarious.

If your French is average to good then also look at French Passion

Britstops just gets better, more places, more facilities, my last was in Kent, great meal, great landlord.

Thanks GrannyJen. I've just ordered the Britstops for Mrs P for a Christmas present. Sounds like a great resource to have in the van. Going to research the Aires guides now. I'm keen to see what's listed in my area in the Britsops. Love the idea of popping to a pub for a meal and a beer and then being able to sleep in the car park!

Glorious one near you in the North York moors near Saltburn.

Rural, off the main road, big car park opposite the pub, park right at the back so no road noise, great food and a place to empty the loo and refill with water.

Such a nice eating area I tarted myself up for the night. Off came the trail shoes, crops, fleece and woolly hat and on with the heels, smart skirt, sparkly top and my very favourite low key tiara.

Lovely wine ...

Oh, where did I put my torch?

Tripping back in pitch dark in heels through the full length of the rough surfaced car park was most entertaining, I felt like Hyacinth Bucket on speed.

Staggering around a car park like that you might've been mistaken for a 'working lass' .... Still ... Could've paid for the vino :talktothehand

Staggering around a car park like that you might've been mistaken for a 'working lass' .... Still ... Could've paid for the vino :talktothehand

Huh!

No chance!

With what I was likely to earn and my taste in wine I would be lucky to get a small glass at best :shocked

Just ordered the Aires Spain & Portugal.
There's going to be lots of planning done this winter!
Thanks again for the tip GrannyJen

I agree with Jen. Britstops are great. Never had a problem with them. You can always check out the location on Googel Earth or Streets in advance to see if it suits you personally.
The Aires book too is good but we won't get the France Passion again. We found too many of them closed, "don't know what you're talking about" or the location is not as the book.
We are big fans of the French municipal sites. Not found a book with them in yet but a good website exists, in French, but easy to follow if you don't speak any.
http://www.camping-municipal.org/index.htm
A lot of the minicipal sites seem to be on Archies as well.
http://www.archiescampings.eu/

I agree with Jen. Britstops are great. Never had a problem with them. You can always check out the location on Googel Earth or Streets in advance to see if it suits you personally.
The Aires book too is good but we won't get the France Passion again. We found too many of them closed, "don't know what you're talking about" or the location is not as the book.
We are big fans of the French municipal sites. Not found a book with them in yet but a good website exists, in French, but easy to follow if you don't speak any.
http://www.camping-municipal.org/index.htm
A lot of the minicipal sites seem to be on Archies as well.
http://www.archiescampings.eu/
Thanks briwy

Good advice from Brian,

Check out the location with street view,

Yo really don't want to find a great pub with great good and spending the night in a car park fronting a major highway with the local chav central "dunking donner" fast food place next door.