Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Broken EHU Flap

Martyn 4950

Martyn 4950

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
My plastic cover for the EHU has broken . After reading the forums I understand that rather than just replace the flap I can replace the whole socket at a slightly higher cost. My Van is the T5 model Cali.
Can anyone send me a link where I can get these sockets from.?

When i click on the existing link someone has set up on the forum then it sends me information on horse boxes lol

I had the entire unit replaced by volkswagen at costs of 80 euro's (67 pounds)

Is the issue a flapping cover ? Edit the link here is broken see post #14 below

Last edited:
The socket is easy to replace. It is held in place with 4 Torx screws.
Undoing the power cables and refitting them in the new socket is just like a 13amp plug and then it goes back into the plastic surround. All accessible from the outside.

The only slight complication is that the cables are covered in a foam sleeve but this pushes back easily. This is used to prevent the cable from rattling against the body.

Alan

Had a look at mine to check and this EBAY one is identical

MAINS 230V 16A FLUSH INLET SOCKET BLACK CARAVAN CAMPER EHU MALE IP44 HOOK UP M

Not something I've had the pleasure of doing, but is it that these two go together?

Thanks....I didn't realise that the Marco Polo and the Vw had the same fitting. Cheers

The socket is easy to replace. It is held in place with 4 Torx screws.
Undoing the power cables and refitting them in the new socket is just like a 13amp plug and then it goes back into the plastic surround. All accessible from the outside.

The only slight complication is that the cables are covered in a foam sleeve but this pushes back easily. This is used to prevent the cable from rattling against the body.

Alan
Brilliant ...thanks....I guess its in my capability as a dim wit

• Haha
Reactions: Sad
Had a look at mine to check and this EBAY one is identical

MAINS 230V 16A FLUSH INLET SOCKET BLACK CARAVAN CAMPER EHU MALE IP44 HOOK UP M
Thanks for the heads up ....ill have a look

Did the velcro fix but bought a new flap/socket if that doesn't work. Velcro small bits in the bottom corners work so far.

Will keep the old flap with velcro as long as possible on the basis that record breaking heat will result in the replacement having the same problem maybe as soon as next year.

Socket off Ebay was identically marked. Some show different flap inner info. ... possibly clones.

Bit of blutak on the inside should stop it flapping. I remember a while back someone glued some nano-magnets to the inside to hold the flap down…?
It doesn’t need much to hold it in place

Just for information, the spring on the top right of the flap can pop out of its correct position. Mine was when the van was new. Reseated it and all fine ever since. Worth checking as it’s this spring that helps keep the flap closed.

Here in this thread is my fix with two very small neodymium magnets

excerpt from previous thread:
I posted this simple fix in a thread previously, the link to the original thread does not work now & cannot be found doing a search here or on Google, so posted again here to help others:

the EHU flap does suffer from distortion due to heat.
a simple fix is to attach two neodymium magnets to the flab, two small magnets are all that are required attached to the inside of the flap, aligned with the screws that fix the flap chassis to the body

use Mastic to attach the magnets to the flap.

this fix has lasted four years and still works perfectly

1662625754680.jpeg

Last edited:
I've patched the flappy bit for years with superglue - but it irreparably disintegrated recently. I bought the replacement suggested higher up on this thread and swapped broken for new in about a half hour. Taking a photo of the connections before de-rigging is handy because the wires do twist and turn a bit ;-)

Can you point out we’re the replacement flap is please, I’m needing one.
Clicking on the link shows me just the base plate

Got mine from an Ebay supplier.

Back