Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bruce.....a Dutch Master

D

Dazshep

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hello everyone. Bruce came into our lives in early March. I introduced him back then, but he is a California SE in Grey with a bike rack mounted, sensors,DAB radio/sat nav upgrade (the basic one) and a few other bits and bobs.
My usage for trips away was initially slow due to stupid hours at work, but our learning on how to use him as a camper started by firstly using this forum, then a couple of nights away on university open day visits.
With our fledgling knowledge we dived in and went to the continent. Our first stop was in Brugges, Camping Memling. I loved this little site and is well placed to walk or cycle into the gorgeous centre with its lashings of gorgeous beer!!! The facilities looked fairly new and consisted of the basics that the staff kept immaculate. After a couple of nights we set off for De Lakens in Bloemandahl, our base to investigate Amsterdam. I had been told that the driving in France and Belgium was a doddle, but when in Holland its a little bit Wackey races. The nearer to Amsterdam we got the more Dick Dasturdlys and Ant Hill mobs we saw, never saw Penelope though. In my response to the 140 vs 180 thread, Bruce is a 140, fully loaded with kit and bikes, and he was effortless on the motorways. My number one driving tip for Holland is if you see a gap, it's yours.
We arrived at De Lakens under stormy skies. The day before 100+ tents got flattened and people just left them and toddled off to ring the insurance. We set up camp, and with the Comfortz topper in place we weathered the storm. The topper for me has been my best kit purchase, especially with a bulky 17 year old upstairs and needing to keep the bellows and kit dry. To answer another thread, we have swapped and gone head forward for the extra body room. This site is massive, and we booked into the Dunes area, nice sheltered pitch with hook up, loved it. On site there is loads of stuff for everyone from kids to oldies, bbq parties and even a little live music. If cycling and walking is your thing then that's there too. The facilities are many and clean. Good spar shop and a cracking restaurant. Oh and there's a massive beach too.
All in all we loved our trip to Holland and would come back again. The van was AWESOME!, and far better than the boss lady expected, if you use common sense and stick to a plan on where wet clothes/shoes go then it's a life adventure. It drives mega, looks brill, and you get locals passing admiring glances your way.

Sounds like you had a great time :thumb

Love the post, positive energy just flying out of my tablet just by reading this. Nice, well done, enjoy!

Back