Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bumper protector - to prevent damage when hooking up trailer /caravan / boat.

Phil Hall

Phil Hall

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I have a VW swan neck tow bar fitted whereas if I had a Witter type fitted I could of had metal plate installed that protects the bumper from being damaged if the trailer hits the bumper when hooking up. I do not know of one that would fit a swan neck - does anybody?

Solutions to date
1. There is a Gel Pad that one can stick on the bumper
2. Get a garden kneeling pad and insert between bumper and tow hook at every hook up.

Any other thoughts please?

Phil

The only thing I found, besides the gel pad, is this suggestion.

Screen Shot 2015-08-03 at 15.39.25.jpg

Now if you made something like this with your Reg Nos or Pitch Reserved on it it would double up as a Pitch reservation sign for when you are using the van away from the campsite. Or you might think of something else it could be used for.
Easily stored on or under the rear Flex Board.

The only thing I found, besides the gel pad, is this suggestion.

View attachment 9382

Now if you made something like this with your Reg Nos or Pitch Reserved on it it would double up as a Pitch reservation sign for when you are using the van away from the campsite. Or you might think of something else it could be used for.
Easily stored on or under the rear Flex Board.

Great idea thank you
Phil

We always carry a couple of towelling type bathroom mats to chuck down if it's wet and muddy. When hooking up I just fold one over double and let it hang over the bumper to protect it.

If you wish to try importing from the USA or just use as an idea which could be used as a basis with a thick piece of rubber, such as part of a conveyor belt.

On the market protectors are either lower down for swamper vans or top edge for luggage/goods protection.

Back