Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Calais to Austria

Swislon

Swislon

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
We picked up our Ocean in Early January and have several trips booked in the diary. March and April mainly in Cornwall and possibly the Lakes then the big one in May. We’ve booked a chalet in Austria near Zell am Zee for a week. We have about 5 days travel to get there and about 8 days on way home. It looks like the route there will be via Munich and then into Austria.
Two adults with walking boots and touring bikes.
Any advice on the route, great campsites, any sights we shouldn’t miss or worth going off piste for. The idea is to do some driving in the morning then camp and enjoy the afternoon and evening. Happy to stay a couple of nights if worth it.
Is there a camping app we should get or a route planning map.
Any advice welcome.
Steve & Neeta

Can't help with campsites yet as not taken our new to us camper abroad yet, but driven to Austria a few times.
Resorts like St Anton, Lech, Kitzbuhel are well worth a visit, along with Salzburg and Hitler's Eagles nest. At Zell am See you're a stones throw from one of europes great roads, the Grossglockner Pass.
The Black Forset, Freiburg and N500 road worth including, and anywhere in Switzerland which is beautiful.
If you want some free sat nav apps try Waze or Magic Earth (download maps to use offline). There are others.

I'd be interested in this thread too.

BTW Eagles Nest doesn't open to public till early May I believe?

If you’re going to Zell then deffo make sure you have a run over the Gross glockner.

Grossglockner opens some time in May. We did in June last year on the way to lake Bled - visibility + 5m and 2m of snow at the top - we were gutted but had hung around to get clear days without luck!
We took in the https://www.romanticroadgermany.com/ en route and generally took the slow / scenic route.

We picked up our Ocean in Early January and have several trips booked in the diary. March and April mainly in Cornwall and possibly the Lakes then the big one in May. We’ve booked a chalet in Austria near Zell am Zee for a week. We have about 5 days travel to get there and about 8 days on way home. It looks like the route there will be via Munich and then into Austria.
Any advice on the route, great campsites, any sights we shouldn’t miss or worth going off piste for. The idea is to do some driving in the morning then camp and enjoy the afternoon and evening. Happy to stay a couple of nights if worth it.
Any advice welcome.
Steve & Neeta
We use the ACSI Camping Card, terrific app, the card gives cut price camping out of the peak season, tons of great sites on your trip. We never book, just look at the site reviews, any above 8 are always great.

Apps: Campercontact, ACSI, Park4night, Camping by POIbase

Don't miss the mountain peak next to zalm an zee. Tickets to the top are rather pricey but it worth it. Be ready to spend there good full day, there are two observation desks at 3km height, tunnel through the mountain and nice reasonably priced restaurant. Along the road to the lift station also a small nice river with waterfall where you may have around 1hr relaxed walk.

Camping Belkenblick near Staufen (W edge of Black Forest) is good

I don’t think they are illegal but nor worth using it. Same in Switzerland and must be removed in Luxembourg.
This is the most up to date advice I could find, others more expert may do better:

If up to date and correct, then removing the dash cam in Luxembourg, Switzerland, Austria, Portugal and Cyprus would be wise. UK driver can probably plead ignorance first time but this is obviously uncertain.

In the case of Switzerland you, or better a passenger, could keep it handy for activation if you see a potential problem by the look of it.

Having just fitted a dash cam and maxing out on Schengen in retirement, this seems quite an important string, certainly for my wife and I. So I am going to start a new thread and link to it.

Last edited:
Any advice welcome.
Steve & Neeta
Any idea about the emissions sticker for Germany? I have ordered one but no idea if I will need it or not. It applies to cities, so I have it just in case.

Any idea about the emissions sticker for Germany? I have ordered one but no idea if I will need it or not. It applies to cities, so I have it just in case.
it doesn't apply to all towns etc

Back