Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Where to stop on trip to Austria?

MKRW

MKRW

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We are travelling to Austria on December the 27th for a weeks Skiing in the Tyrol.

Travelling over a couple of days does anyone have any suggestions for stip off's on the way. We have a Eurotunnel booked around 10am.

Thanks
Mark

Mark,
Depends on what route you take, times and whether its a campsite or hotel. We drive to Amade ski area south of Salzburg every year. In the past we drove through Belgium and Luxembourg before entering Germany and staying at Holiday Inn Express near the airport. Express hotels are cheaper than main Holiday Inns and include breakfast. Recently we skipped across the top of Belgium and Holland before entering Germany. We have then stayed at both Cologne and Nuremberg. Don't forget if using motorways in Austria you'll need a vignette. You can buy them before you travel and get them sent to you. Only a few euros for a few days.
Hope you had a good journey home on Sunday.
Andy (other Cali owner you spoke to in Calais)

Cheers Andy,

Good to meet you in Calais. The traffic was pretty heavy when we got off the tunnel, but we still made it home by 10.30 and fully unpacked by mid-night!

I left the request particularly vague just to see what people thought and ideas of where to stay.

Whilst we will be travelling in the Cali we will also have friends travelling as well and they will be limited to Hotels. Holiday Inn sounds good as we both have families and will look for a family room. (recommendations welcome)

We were contemplating anywhere between Frankfurt, Strasbourg, or Nuremberg. Preferably getting the majority of driving done in the first day and leaving only a few hours the following day. We are off to Hopfgarten for New Year.

Good advice on the vignette as its a few years since I drove in Austria. :thanks

Mark

Mark,
Blimey that was good going. We only got back at 2130 ourselves but the wife left me to unpack the following day whilst she went to work.
The website I use for hotels is
http://m.ihg.com/hotels/ihg/us/en/home
Family rooms come with double bed and double sofa bed. We have two kids as well and manage fine. Rooms are on a par with Premier Inn.
The Tyrol is slightly more west then where we go but on average it takes about 11 to 12 hours for us from Calais to resort and we break it down to 7 and 4 hour split or visa versa dependant on which way we are going.
As previously mentioned we fit snow tyres but also carry snow chains as a back up. Never had to use them as yet but are normally compulsory to have them in mountains.
Andy

For a very smart site in Austria try Natterer See, south of Insbruck if i remember right.

We stayed in Wurzburg on the way down to Austria this summer - was shocking. Probably just bad luck but road works going until about midnight outside the hotel and then the drunks started fighting and shouting and didn't stop until about 5am - and the van was parked in the street. The town centre was ok and it was nice down by the river, just at the top end of town where out hotel was was a bit wild! Nice friendly chinese restaurant there too.

On the way back we stayed in Cecil Hotel in Metz. Just an overnighter but the owner (Natalie) was great and there was off-road parking in their own courtyard - but it was a very tight fit - not for the faint hearted.