Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali Beach - need a parcel shelf above the Multiflex board

M

mwpmorris

Vehicle
Just browsing
Hi,

I'm a new owner of a Cali Beach and need to use it for work as well as camping. In work mode I remove all of the bedding foam out of the back and use the Multiflex board as a shelf to keep equipment on. I need to have the contents of this shelf covered as a stipulation on my insurance however.
I'm aware that I can close the blinds or use a blanket but I'd like a better solution. I've built a MDF table but it's rickety and slides about.

I've seen VW Caravelle parcel shelves for sale on eBay:

....but have no idea how these work - i.e. does it clip to the tailgate or back of the seats? Will it fit ok to my Beach?

Any help welcome!

The caravelle has a track to lock the blind into, which the Cali won't have as standard. May be possible with a modification but not sure to be honest.

I am guessing putting the stuff under the multiflex will just make it harder to access :(

i have that 'parcel shelf' in my multivan. it clips onto the back of the three bench seat, then stretches across to two clips by the boot. Its just about strong enough to hold some pillows. i don't think it would cover 'eqipment' very well that was sitting on the multiflex board.

The caravelle has a track to lock the blind into, which the Cali won't have as standard. May be possible with a modification but not sure to be honest.

I am guessing putting the stuff under the multiflex will just make it harder to access :(

Thanks for the reply. I couldn't find any pics of the Caravelle parcel shelf in situ, but suspected that it would need something to hold it closed. I've actually thought of making up something similar with a roller blind.

Unfortunately not all of my equipment will fit under the Multiflex board so definitely need the shelf above.

i have that 'parcel shelf' in my multivan. it clips onto the back of the three bench seat, then stretches across to two clips by the boot. Its just about strong enough to hold some pillows. i don't think it would cover 'eqipment' very well that was sitting on the multiflex board.

Thanks - great info. Do you have any idea if it'd clip to the rear of the Cali 3-bench seats? There are what look like three "rigging eyes" on the back of my seats.

This is what I've made up currently, but it's a bit bulky and heavy.47850

Hi Mwp

If you just require a cover to prevent items from being on show, and cover from prying eyes, with no load carrying capacity? You could use a simple tarp material, fit eyelets where the rear bench head restraints are located, these could be used as anchor points with the use of bungee balls, to each head restraint post, the sheet could simply be attached to the under side of the MFB or just left long and tucked under.
The sheet could be left long st both sides so the cover would extend down to internal sides of the van preventing items from being seen from all angles
The benefits would be very light weight, safe in an accident, minimal space need, could be tensioned to be a taught cover, can simply be dropped down the back of the seat when not needed or removed / reattached very simply.

Light weight Tarp / Material and plastic knock in eyelets are readily available as are bungee balls / shock cord. Simple DIY ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just looking on line for ready made items

Google search : hammock car cover

Similar principle to what I described!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks - great info. Do you have any idea if it'd clip to the rear of the Cali 3-bench seats? There are what look like three "rigging eyes" on the back of my seats.
The 3 rigging eyes are the hooks for isofix car seats.

For anyone interested, I ended up quickly making a removable MDF shelf pictured below:
AB750D19-1D01-40DE-9B93-7075C53B282A.jpeg
As you can see, it’s a bit rough and sagging in the middle. However, it does the job - “clamps” around the multiflex board so as to not slide backwards or forwards when accelerating / braking and is easily removable when going on camping trips.

I’ve spent the last week doing a “version 2” and am happy with the results. Pics below:
7E72CAE0-D81C-49B0-9F0D-19E2C0FA0CF0.jpeg
9A17C3DF-D1C8-4F34-9B39-8C9758DD3C74.jpeg
867C7DA3-3677-4EAB-8BE9-5EDE77086D18.jpeg

Back