Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Changing the stupid multiflex board in my two-seater Beach. Help!

Agree Thirsty.

Top of the board for bedding which makes making up the bed very easy, camping stuff under the board. Clothes etc in the storage box and for us the big drawer is for our pots and pans, plates etc.

I'm not so concerned about lifting halves of the board for access but have always thought the board should work like a sun lounger. So hinged at the front edge, like on of the first photos in this thread. That way you could prop it up while you are in bed making reading, playing on the interweb etc more comfortable. The only issue would be making a latch that can be easily and safely worked while you are inside to allow you to latch it up and then release it again to lay the bed flat.

We pack ours the same, bedding on top etc but having it hinge front and rear makes access into the boot and especially the deeper parts *so* much easier and allows taller items to be carried plus of course you have full access from inside the vehicle

So much space on that board. Can put lots of boxes on it. :)

That's true Sp0_0k but.......

If you don't need to carry amazing amounts of stuff and have downsized to essentials, then bedding on top, drive away awning and two 60L boxes + bags with hiking shoes and the cadac underneath then you're ready and easily set up when you arrive.

Everyone has their different needs. Our setup suits us.

As a PS, we only have the bedding on the van all the time. The rest gets chucked in just before we go. When we get back the bedding gets washed, reassemble and then put straight back in the van.

What are the strongest not expensive materials I can use for that board? I see it was OSB used in this case.
Is solid wood stronger? How about some stronger plywood?

The two seat multiflex is a pain. It's too deep and takes up a lot of living space. I bought a pair of the multiflex legs from ebay, had them shortened by a local blacksmith and then added a custom top in 18mm ply.

0ac8a4c7eeedaee344251d2af31b9987.jpg

The result is another 200mm or so living space and a lighter multiflex unit.
Can that ply hold the person weight in the middle?

When the bed is made up it only really holds the upper chest and head or legs if you sleep the other way around.
If you used some L shaped steel or aluminium edging on the long edges then it would be more than strong enough without adding too much weight.

Yes, quite easily. It's 18mm ply and the T pieces on the stands minimise the span.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

What are the strongest not expensive materials I can use for that board? I see it was OSB used in this case.
Is solid wood stronger? How about some stronger plywood?

Engineered wood is probably better than ply which may well warp and bend over time (very little sometimes!).

My board is for sale if anyone wants to collect it. Priced for the material price only for what it cost me to make - quick sale - £25 collected.

Thanks for info.
Sad I can't collect it :)

If anyone needs a board to cut up / template / replace theirs, mine is going FOC (I bought it for the legs, and had them adapted to fit my DIY camper with a near side 2-seater Cali bed).

I believe it’ll fit any 4 seater California Beach model.
Condition is used but good - no dents or splits, just little nicks and light scratches.

FB36C1C7-0AF4-49E7-88E1-91FDA7B74FA0.jpeg

Hi, @Ads_Essex , I don't suppose you still have the multiflex board available? I want to adapt mine, so this would be great. I'm also not far from you. :)Cheers

Hi, @Ads_Essex , I don't suppose you still have the multiflex board available? I want to adapt mine, so this would be great. I'm also not far from you. :)Cheers
Sorry, I should have updated this; I don’t, no.
I donated it to Kernow Transporters after Richard helped me out with a few bits (ironically, the bench side panel that I posted about on here). It’s worth giving Richard a call to see if he still has it.

Reviving this thread as I wondered if anyone knew if there are any differences between the T6.1 2 seater beach multiflex and the T6/T5?

The T6.1 seems to allow the multiflex to raise in a lounging position maybe this means the new ones allow you to fold them up and out of the way?! Possibly too hopeful!

Thanks,

Reviving this thread as I wondered if anyone knew if there are any differences between the T6.1 2 seater beach multiflex and the T6/T5?

The T6.1 seems to allow the multiflex to raise in a lounging position maybe this means the new ones allow you to fold them up and out of the way?! Possibly too hopeful!

Thanks,

Attachments

• 4978D960-7D7E-4080-A694-CA037C7DA58C.jpeg
    4978D960-7D7E-4080-A694-CA037C7DA58C.jpeg
    83.6 KB · Views: 96
Here we go - IMHO how VW should make it from the start. As we all know there are some clever elements on the Cali/Beach but some which the tea-lady or work experience boy could have done so much better - or at least if VW had given one to a typical couple to try for a weekend they would have found the glaring errors or stupid design faults.

Anyway.... ;) ...out with the totally inflexible board and on with this. I made it from OSB as this is only a short term item for me and it was easy and cheap to get this cut from my local yard. Again keeping it simple with butt hinges and lining carpet as we have a thick foam cover on top. Pics do the explaining but to add - it works perfectly, so easy now to access stuff in the boot from the rear or more importantly from inside when it is raining/too much hassle to go out/bikes are on tailgate etc. And by hinging up both sides and lifting the board is super easy to remove. I have attached with two simple bolts as it only needs to be stopped from sliding forward/backward.

View attachment 15444

View attachment 15452

View attachment 15453

View attachment 15454

View attachment 15455

View attachment 15456

View attachment 15457

View attachment 15458

View attachment 15459

View attachment 15460
Hi
Ive finally got round to copying your excellent design and so far so good. Just wondered how you removed the original bolts? I’ve got the old multi flex board of but wanted to remove and keep the original bolts, or buy some new ones but can’t seem to fond any on line
many thanks
Bill

I can’t remember what they are like TBH, have you got a pic?

Last edited:
I can’t remember what they are like TBH, have you got a pic?

635BFDBE-588A-461D-AF71-6A7C1204D2E1.jpeg

Hi it was how to remove these without damaging them or where to get replacements if I want to replace the original board if I sell
Thanks again
Bill

See my post #45 and link above!

I think VW did not epoxy them into the wood and maybe thread locked the bolts, hence they pull out and defeat the object.

Not sure if M6 - measure and check first:

That 6.1 picture looks like there are possible two storage boxes, the rear one going all the way back?
And the "multi" "flex" (!) board doesn't go all the way across.... Is that right?
It looks very retro-fittable to a 6 - though probably at great expense!!!!

Not been on for a while and not up to date with Cali changes but good to see VW read the forum and copied my design for the newer Beach! :D

Back