Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali on train in Europe

S

Sallyf

VIP Member
Has anyone any experience of putting their Cali on a train in Europe? A lot of them seem to have height and/or width restrictions that just exclude a Cali! I am particularly interested in ways of getting to Turkey minimising the driving.

Ask my baby brother to drive it down there for you. He has gone travel mad, having just driven to Mongolia and back...

But seriously, there are people that would queue up to do it if you could face letting someone drive your pride and joy!

We looked into the motorail a few years ago to travel down to Italy and there was not much change from a £1,000.

There are several threads on this subject on the German Caliboard. Short summary: Cali's are allowed on most trains, but it's terribly expensive.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Tapatalk

Why take a train when you could drive a cali?

Took the Cali on a train from Kandersteg to Goppenstein in Switzerland. That was no problem and quick, efficient and relatively cheap.

Cheers

Phil

Has anyone had any recent experiences on the Dusseldorf to Verona Motorail since it was taken over by Urlaubs Express? Whilst the post with this link above http://www.seat61.com/Motorail.htm suggests the Cali is too big, but the VW brochure says it is only 1990 high and 1904 wide (with wing mirrors folded in I hope!) @bvddobb says there are plenty of German threads evidencing that Calis are permitted. Cost is about 650 euros one way, but if you factor in depreciation at 50p a mile (?) and the fact you save yourself 10 hours driving (plus of course fuel saved), it isn't that expensive as an end of holiday luxury to easy the journey home from Italy... or am I missing something?

I may be wrong but I am sure the Cali does not depreciate as much as 50p per mile, just out of interest, where did you get that figure from ?

I may be wrong but I am sure the Cali does not depreciate as much as 50p per mile, just out of interest, where did you get that figure from ?
Hi Billy,
Sorry, that figure has no real source! I just used it when trying to weigh up the true cost of say (for example) driving to europe for a ski holiday in the van versus the cost of flights and transfers etc. Perhaps it is more a 'running cost' per mile? Maybe I am just trying to justify the cost of taking the train part way home by using a higher depreciation figure? Besides, I guess depreciation depends on the age of teh van and the extra miles on the van only matter at the point of sale really... and could be very different depending on after how many years that is...! I'm not against driving the 10 hours. I've driven all the way back from Saalbach in Austia in one go, but sometimes it's nice to enjoy the journey in other ways!